Adding color accents to a grayscale image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding color accents to a grayscale image

Hey, I am using Photoshop 8 and cannot find anywhere how to add color accents (like eyes, piece of clothing, etc) to a grey/black and white image. If anyone could help me, I would be so grateful!!

Welcome to RetouchPRO!

Take a look at these tutorials on the web. If you run into questions, it helps if you ask specific questions about a particular image -- you can post the image in this thread and show folks which parts you need help with.
    http://www.carlvolk.com/photoshop05.htm
    http://www.apogeephoto.com/june2000/PhotoshopTip1.shtml -- (both versions of a tutorial by the late Carl Volk)

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photos...nars/colorize/

Comment

Razor

You cannot add color to a grayscale image that is still in grayscale mode. You must first convert it to a color mode (RGB, CMYK etc.)

Create new layers to paint so that if you want to make changes you can and you don't mess up the original. Set the blending mode for your paint layers to achieve the effect you want (multiply, overlay, screen, color etc.)

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• duwayne
        Help converting black/white image to color
        by duwayne
        I've learned a lot at RP including about 7 ways to convert color images to black and white. The challenge I have now is to find ONE way to convert a 256-grayscale image into a 256-color image. Could be RGB or Indexed (or anything else for that matter). I use Photoshop CS on a Windows platform. Any...
        10-05-2006, 04:35 AM
      • guysucces
        Changing the color mood of an image
        by guysucces
        Hello guys,

I am currently working on this image where the model has a black outfit. What do you think would be the best way to change to the color of the belt around the neck and the dress to white ( as in the image below), while retaining the texture (of course).

I was thinking...
        08-02-2014, 03:50 PM
      • nazca13
        color a black and white
        by nazca13
        take any color image duplicate it and switch the
        copy to lab mode and use the L channel
        to color back the same colors but
        it doesn't work. yes I switch the l channel
        back to rgb mode

I know to add a new layer in color
        mode and paint in this layer but...
        03-27-2013, 07:17 AM
      • fat0n3s
        Correcting Color...
        by fat0n3s
        I have read many tutorials, and I am still confused on how to correct an image to restore the colors to what they are in real life.

Some images are easy, in the sence I can find a true grey color, then go off the numbers till it is correct. At least close to it.
        04-21-2005, 09:32 AM
      • garfield
        background color
        by garfield
        i have a problem with my photoshop. why is it i cannot change my foreground and background color every time i press d and use paint bucket its ok even if press x, but if i choose other colors like red, blue the colors turn to gray or black! what does this mean?
        11-13-2002, 03:08 PM
      Working...
      X