Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it better to do the enlargment from the scaner or in pho.shop.program

hellow to every one:
    this is my first thread, but i've been reading almost all the threads since i loged in nearly a year a go and it helped me a lot to improve my work and i am very greatfull to every one on this site .
    now to my enquiry, i always enlarge the photo to size A4, this is all what my client wants, so is it better to do the enlargment from the scaner and send it to photoshop 6 under a resolusion 300 dpi and finish the enhansment there or scan it at higher reso. and do the enlargment in ps, i see the first way will save me a lot of trouble. i use hp flat bed scaner. and could any one tell whats the different, thankyou
    haiam

Hello Haiam,
    Nice to hear from you. If that is your normal output size then I would scan for that size. It's easier for you and doesn't seem to be a problem so go for it. However, I need to warn you that I am not that knowledgeable in this area so I will leave the more indepth answers for those who really know what they are talking about. I'm usually the one asking resolution questions.
    DJ

Comment

Welcome Haiam! Like Deb, I'll let the more knowledgeable people handle this one. The one thing that I would say however, is that you should not scan at a higher resolution than the optical resolution of your scanner. While this will give you a larger file size, it will not add any *real* information. If you absolutely must make the file larger than the optical resolution permits, Photoshop will probably do a better job with resampling than you would get from your scanner. If I'm wrong on anything, someone will surely straighten me out!

Ed

Comment

I would divide one dimension of the original into the corresponding dimension of the output, then multiply that by 300.

So if your original is 4 inches wide and your output is to be 8 inches wide, 8/4=2, and 2x300=600, and your final scan would be 600ppi.

This also allows for a bit of cropping and for possible future enlargement (not a lot, but some).

But, to avoid all this, I simply scan at maximum optical resolution all the time, then resize and/or reduce the resolution in PS. This has been covered (with many opinions) in another thread, but with fast computers and cheap storage nowadays, the only harm of having unnecessarily too-high a resolution is slow print times (and I always make a separate printing file anyway, since you need to do a custom USM for each printing size).
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

thanks to every one for there replies

D. NELSON thanks to your information actully this is what i normaly do, but will you please tell me exactly what do you mean in (and I always make a separate printing file anyway, since you need to do a custom USM for each printing size).
          and what is the USM
          haiam

Comment

HAIAM,

There's no need to cry - we're happy to answer your questions...

USM is the UnSharp Mask filter. It is used to make a photo appear sharper by increasing the contrast between light and dark pixels. What Doug meant by "and I always make a separate printing file anyway, since you need to do a custom USM for each printing size" is that the USM filter should always be the last thing that you do to a photo because any other operation you might do causes a slight blurring effect. Thus, you want to resize your photo to your intended output size and then run the USM filter. If you want a different output size, then go back to the original (final) photo, resize to a different output size and run USM again.

Hope this helps. If I've just confused you more, please ask more questions!

Jeanie

Comment

Hi-

I was reading the post that Haiam put up. Thanks for asking what USM was. I had the same question. I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on what the settings would be for the USM filter. I assume that this is a standard filter for Photoshop?

Thanks.

Comment

USM is very important, and there are several threads here already concerning it. Try a search for 'unsharp'. Once you've digested the basics, start a new thread with any specific questions.

In answer to your question, there's no standard settings. It must be done visually.
                Learn by teaching
                Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Thanks Doug. I apologize if that issue has already been addressed.

Comment

Opps, thanks to you all for the details, at least from now and on i will understand the short name for the most filter that i use all the time and made all that Q. about it , any way i am happy that someone else needed to know, and for you admin_fff, this is the link for the best thing ever about using USM
                    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/smart_sharp.htm, best luck

Comment

Working...
                    X