TIFF Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIFF Compression

When saving a file as a TIFF what compression form should I use ZIP, JPEG or LZW or None?

Many thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Syd

Re: TIFF Compression

Avoid JPG. None is the best for compatibility. LZW is a good compromise between small filesize and speed. ZIP will give you the smallest files, but it might take awhile to save each time.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Thanks Doug. That helps.

Sincerely Syd

Comment

I don't know if this will be a useful answer or not... I never have used compression on tiff files, it defeats the whole purpose of using that format for me. If I want the highest possible quality from a file format it will be either tiff or psd as neither of those are compressed formats. If I want smaller file sizes then I switch to jpeg.

My $.02 CAD.

Comment

The compression of a TIFF file is not the same thing as the compression of a JPG.

LZW compression of the TIFF file is lossless, much the same way as a ZIP (or RAR) file. The quality is exactly the same - just takes up less space on your drive.

The only time that you don't use LZW is when there are compatability problems with the target application.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ColorShift
            HEX value colorshift TIFF to JPEG
            by ColorShift
            Looking for assistance with a color shift when saving TIFF to JPEG.

Photoshop color space is sRGB. Document is a TIFF sRGB 500px by 500px with a background fill: d8d4d9. When saving a jpeg, the color shifts to d9d4da when I reopen the file in Photoshop. Is there a setting I am missing...
            01-20-2017, 10:15 AM
          • BBE
            Saving jpg in Elements 5
            by BBE
            I am new to Elements 5 and this forum so hope that someone can help please. If I open an RAW file (Nikon .NEF) everything works well until I want to save the finished result as a .jpg file. "Save as" gives me a list of extensions but not JPEG i.e. *.jpg. It does give me the option of JPEG...
            05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
          • kkamin
            What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?
            by kkamin
            That's it.
            06-26-2010, 02:17 AM
          • Carol Heath
            Unable to save file as jpeg? Totally baffled
            by Carol Heath
            Hi everyone.

I am hoping that someone can offer some suggestions. I have finished a restoration and, as always, I have created a lower res, watermarked copy to email to my client for approval. For some reason however, Photoshop (CS2) will not allow me to save the file as a jpeg. The...
            01-18-2010, 06:04 PM
          • Dropbear67
            Adobe RGB vs S-RGB conversion issues with JPEG
            by Dropbear67
            When I open a JPEG that has a SRGB colour pallete saved and convert it to Adobe-RGB within photoshop (which is my standard colour pallete) it works fine and I can work on the image ok, however after I save the .PSD and convert back to JPEG I find the resulting JPEG file quite different from what I see...
            11-26-2006, 02:47 AM
          Working...
          X