Using film scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using film scanner

I have a K-M DiMAGE Dual IV scanner for film and slides. The software that comes with this scanner lets you make many kinds of adjustments to the image while it's in the scanner.

I use PSE2 for editing my scanned images and I have Hidden Power of PSE2, which I'm working my way through.

My question is, considering all the power of PSE2 and H-P, what is to be gained by adjusting the film while it's in the scanner?

Can all the adjustments which need to be made to an image be done after it's scanned?

Or, conversely, are there adjustments which can best be done in the scanner, and should be done in the scanner?

There's a good-sized manual provided with the scanner, but, to be honest, a lot of it is over my head. On the other hand, I have Hidden Power, and Adobe's manual, and several other books on PSE2, which I find easier to follow.

I will appreciate advice. Thanks.

Re: Using film scanner

In my opinion, it makes more sense to do as much as possible during the scan. The scanner is acting like a digital camera at this point, and I think we all know how much of a pain it is to fix a badly taken photograph. On the other hand, someone who knows their camera well and takes a technically correct photograph creates an image that requires much less, sometimes no, additional work.

If the scanner software seems too overwhelming, just focus on the basics that give a pleasing image. Get the gray balance correct, get a highlight with good detail and get a shadow with good detail. A balanced, full-range scan can go a long way to getting you something nice to work with in PS.

My experience with making minor color tweaks and curve moves on the scanner tells me it is not worth it. PS is much better suited and you can take accurate readings with more control.

jp

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Caravaggio
      recommendations on a new scanner
      by Caravaggio
      Hi, I'm doing some work on a documentary and am looking for recommendations on a professional scanner. I will be scanning archival photos and slides. I have an epson perfection v500 scanner. It seems to do a decent job scanning photos but gets pretty bad results scanning 35 millimeter slides. Can you...
      07-06-2015, 03:13 PM
    • KevinBE
      Film Scanner part 2
      by KevinBE
      I have a question for you guys using a SCSI scanner. Do you leave scanner on all the time or do you turn it on only when you use it? I have found that it is hard to get the scanner recognized without re-booting. With USB it's no problem just turning the scanner on when I need it. This SCSI scanner...
      08-30-2003, 08:05 PM
    • dimme
      Scanner for Kodachrome collection
      by dimme
      I just inherited the family photo collection of about 4 or 5 thousand 5mm Kodachrome slides. I plan to scan a lot of these. I know what I in for I was a drum & Imacon scanner operator for many years. I have tools to profile the scanner so I would like to do that also. I see a lot of old film scanners...
      06-07-2011, 08:31 AM
    • pavel123
      How essential are scanner specs
      by pavel123
      I apologize if I am asking an obvious (to anybody else) question.

I have a relatively old scanner (going 5 years or so back HP ScanJet 3400, it wasn't a high end scanner at that time). Can say I am happy with the quality of scanned images. Colors are off, images seem darker (which is a...
      11-01-2009, 04:47 PM
    • KevinBE
      Film Scanner
      by KevinBE
      I don't know if anyone is interested but I bought a Minolta Speed Scan film scanner on ebay. I just couldn't pass it up because of the price. I know it's discontinued from production but it had a suggested retail of 1299.00 and it has had some good reviews. I think the last street price of this scanner...
      08-22-2003, 06:50 PM
    Working...
    X