Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Calibrating Laptop Monitors?

Greetings,
    I just purchased a new HP Pavillion laptop with Vista, got it home, and hate the monitor display! Compared to my desktop monitor, the laptop monitor display is very blue and muddy.

I'm a VERY novice digital photographer and Photoshopper, still using Photoshop 7.01. But, the terrible display of my color photos is really bugging me.

I looked through the color management info. in the Windows help menu and on other forums, but it's way over my head.

Can anyone direct me to good, beginner level info. on how to warm up the color temperature etc? Or is it impossible.

Also, I can't afford calibration software right now...but free downloads would be good.

Thanks!

Re: Color Calibrating Laptop Monitors?

unless you have a hardware calibrator you'll have to use a site like this one:

http://photographerusa.com/screencheck/index.html

Comment

Thank you!
      By hardware, do you mean a device like Pantone Huey or Spyder Express?
      I've been researching some more since my first post, and think I may have to break down and purchase one of these...

I've read a bunch of reviews comparing them, but they seem about 50/50.

Anyone have a preference?

Also, it looks like Huey won't calibrate printers too, but I can't tell if Spyder will...Printer calibration would be good, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by raggatt View Post
        Thank you!
        By hardware, do you mean a device like Pantone Huey or Spyder Express?
        I've been researching some more since my first post, and think I may have to break down and purchase one of these...

I've read a bunch of reviews comparing them, but they seem about 50/50.

Anyone have a preference?

Also, it looks like Huey won't calibrate printers too, but I can't tell if Spyder will...Printer calibration would be good, of course.
        I have the Spyder2 Express at work and home.

The PrintFIX utility included in the Spyder2 Pro Suite (not Express) is nice but it takes a while to calibrate (print test sheet, lookup your printer/paper combo).

Essentially you could get the similar results without the PrintFIX Plus by printing a macbeth color chart and tweaking the settings until the color match. This is essentially what you do with the PrinFIX utility since it does not seem to find the paper/printer combo most of the time.

I'd get the Spyder2Express and save some $$ because I don't think the PrintFIX utility is worth it.

Comment

the Eye-One Display 2 is a good monitor calibrator..unless you use a wide assortment of papers on your printer you're better off just buying a profile or using the profiles that from the manufacturer...

Comment

Thanks again for your replies.

Having compared the price of Eye One Display and Spyder Express, I see the latter is less than half the price.

Since I'm a poor amateur, would the Spyder Express suffice re. getting rid of severe blue cast and poor contrast?

Comment

Originally posted by raggatt View Post
              Thanks again for your replies.

Having compared the price of Eye One Display and Spyder Express, I see the latter is less than half the price.

Since I'm a poor amateur, would the Spyder Express suffice re. getting rid of severe blue cast and poor contrast?
              It will definitely take care of that.

I've sent a test sheet I have that contains a macbeth chart and without having them do color correction it came out exactly like what I saw on the screen.

This was at MPIX which is one the best know photo labs.

As matter a fact when you calibrate the system with the Spyder at the end it has a pic and it will show the before and after. When I did min you could really tell that it remove this orange cast the test pic had.

I don't see any reason to spend more $$
              Most likley the only thing going up the $$ ladder will get you is ambient light support (not really convinced of it's benefits) and dual monitor support.
              I can tell you that those 2 options never really made an impact on me and I've loved the Spyder ever since I got it.

Comment

Also, be sure you fully understand the features/settings of your graphics card. Not in order to change them, but to know not to change them... if that makes sense. Many beginners calibrate, then become enthused about all the card options. Look at them now, before you calibrate. You really should not change them after calibrating.

What you are calibrating is actually the graphics card, not the display. All calibrations eventually modify the look up table (LUT) that is used to translate colors from the CMS to the display via the display's profile.

Today's graphic cards have many options (too many). Most are fine at their defaults. But, due to large variations in laptop display manufacturing processes, default settings do not work with all displays. This is why a calibration tool like the Spyder is important. Once calibrated, do not mess with your graphic card settings. This will blow your calibration.

Comment

Fine advice by TommyQ and I think the number one thing you need to take care of is to make sure that you don't have a 2nd color calibrator program starting up.

Typically Adobe Gamma is installed on most PCs with PS and on some of them it runs on startup.

You want to delete it from the startup folder.

This procedure is mentioned in the Spyder manual.

Comment

I suggest you just use external monitor for color correction, a laptop monitor can never be used for serious color work for view conditions, viewing angles changing all the time.

Comment

I agree with Realaqu,
                      a laptop display is the wrong tool for any type of colour critical work period..
                      Gary

Comment

I've used the Spyder 2 Pro and I am very happy...just remember to always do test prints specially if you use professional printing labs and you may always adjust to their profiles.

Comment

I use Spyder3Studio which includes Spyder3 Elite, doing a great job for me.
                          Later i will test my Apple Cinema Display connecting to my Mac Book Pro and see.

Comment

I've used some Eye-Ones here at work and they have been super easy to use and I am happy with the result (when not choosing "advanced"). If you have more than one monitor it will calibrate the one the application is open on.
                            I guess other brands will do just as fine a job.

As somone said, a laptop monitor is generally not good for color critical work, but calibrating it correctly will help a lot when "in the field" (just make sure you are directly in front of it viewing at 90 degrees)

If you have Windows XP and multiple monitors, I would suggest installing the free Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XP to manage your profiles (but it's not required)

Comment