Save to what format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save to what format?

Hi I have been saving to psd format to preserve layer information but the resulting file is too big (50-100mb each). Is there an alternative?

Re: Save to what format?

Ken, you should always save your original work as a PSD (Photoshop) file in case you ever want to come back later to edit it. After that, you need to decide what your image is going to be used for, web, print, email etc. Then save the TIFF, JPEG sepecifically for that purpose. You can delete these files if you need the hard drive space, but keep that PSD.

Yes, high resolution, layered PSD files can be big, Use the Save for Web/Devices to generate the JPEG, for email or web postings.

Comment

Kenwood, I read somewhere on this forum that if the the option maximize for PSD/PBS compatibility is turned on it doubles the file size. Can't remember where i read it...

Comment

Originally posted by amica999 View Post
        Kenwood, I read somewhere on this forum that if the the option maximize for PSD/PBS compatibility is turned on it doubles the file size. Can't remember where i read it...
        yes, that option will create larger files...

Comment

I activated the option for one file to test it. The file size was 300Mb instead of 400mb. The only problem was, that lightroom wasn't able to read the file...

Comment

If I really really want to keep a good copy I use tiff...otherwise jpg.

Comment

Sounds like disabling compatibility is the only realistic way to reduce file size. Thanks the info.

Comment

Hard drive space is cheap. Reshooting an image is not.

Sometimes you end up with files that are over 4 gigs. You can buy Terrabyte drives these days rather cheaply, so it matters less and less I think.

Comment

just found this source http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/007MVC

hope it helps.

Comment