Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need photo scanner compatible with Catalina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need photo scanner compatible with Catalina?

Hi, My old scanner no longer works since I upgraded the os to Catalina (os 10.15.2) a few months ago. It was an Epson Perfection V500 Photo and I doubt whether Epson is going to update the drivers to be compatible with Catalina. I really liked that scanner as it was reasonably priced, yet made decent quality scans of photos. I never used any of the Ice, dust removal or sharpening features; I just scanned at very high resolution, 1200 or 2400 dpi, and outputted the images as tifs which I then fixed up and retouched in photoshop.

Anyway, it seems like I am forced to buy a new scanner for scanning old photos and analogue images. I'm not eager to spend $899 for the Epson Perfection v800 Photo Color scanner as I don't use it that much and most of the stuff I scan is fairly trashy, kitschy images from magazines or poor quality amateur photos, so the quality of the scans only has to be 'good enough'.

Most of the images I scan are about 8" x10".

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks a lot.

See if Vuescan can't get your old scanner working. It's Mac and Win compatible.
    VueScan is the easiest way to get your scanner working on macOS, Windows 10 and more. VueScan includes a driver for your scanner even though it isn't support anymore.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

LaserSoft’s SilverFast will drive it and quite well!

Comment

Thanks Doug and Andrew.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Inspeqtor
          New Scanner
          by Inspeqtor
          I am considering purchasing the Epson 4990 as recommended to me here earlier on another thread. I have a question about this scanner, does it scan normal documents? The Epson website mentions "the flexibility of a flatbed scanner" but that does not tell me very much. I am sure some of you...
          02-17-2007, 10:43 AM
        • airubin
          Scanner Quality
          by airubin
          Hi All,

How good a quality scanner do you need for scanning B&W negitives and color prints?

I'm using a Umax2200, but I believe that it will probably not be good enough. I got a decent result on it with a print, but I was not too concerned about top notch quality....
          03-10-2003, 11:51 AM
        • nevets2001uk
          Scanner Recommendations
          by nevets2001uk
          I'm considering the purchase of a scanner for use in restoring old photographs. This is going to be a hobby / small sideline initially so I can only justify a relatively small amount of money. Ideally I'd be looking to spend under £150.

I've seen the Epson Perfection v350 and HP ScanJet...
          05-22-2007, 10:10 AM
        • Chain
          A3 scanner choice
          by Chain
          Hi

For work I occasionally need to scan some images from books/photographs that we will be used in a magazine. It's nothing high-end or critical.

I would like to make the jump to A3 to be able to fit the larger originals. I assume most scanners will be sufficient quality, but...
          08-29-2012, 06:01 AM
        • pavel123
          How essential are scanner specs
          by pavel123
          I apologize if I am asking an obvious (to anybody else) question.

I have a relatively old scanner (going 5 years or so back HP ScanJet 3400, it wasn't a high end scanner at that time). Can say I am happy with the quality of scanned images. Colors are off, images seem darker (which is a...
          11-01-2009, 05:47 PM
        Working...
        X