Photo printers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo printers

I just bought a Sony DPP-Ex5 photo printer at a good price, however I'm finding out that the cartridges (which is only made by Sony) are a little hard to come by (now I know why I got such a good price on the printer). Wal-Mart isn't going to carry it anymore once it sells what it has on clearance but Circuit City carries the cartidges but they aren't making any promises that they'll always have it. I've used the printer some and I think it prints good photos but I just don't want to get stuck with a printer that is hard to find cartridges for. I can't cross reference any other print cartridges, it has to be the Sony brand. I know I can order it from Sony directly from the internet. Should I take this printer back for a refund and look for something else? What photo printers do you all use?

Gregg

This printer was reviewed in the 12/2002 edition of PC Mag (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,726342,00.asp), so it's not that old technology-wise.

Inability to get carts easily and having to order direct from Sony = you'll be paying premium prices.

A quick check on eBay just now shows these printers selling in the low-$20's - $50 range. I was not able to find anyone selling cartridges for them, however. That's unusual considering one can usually find just about anything on eBay, even hard-to-get ink carts. Draw your own conclusions.

At the moment I'm using an older technology HP Deskjet 895cse. It's sufficient for my immediate needs. To accomodate forthcoming large format prints I'm seriously considering the Canon i9900 (replacement for i9100). I'm encouraged by reviews on the i9100 I've read as well as very favorable comments from Canon owners. In theory the i9900 should be even better.

Good luck moving forward.

~Danny~

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• imann08
      Now the printer
      by imann08
      I've got some more specific questions now. I have noticed that almost all photo printers are pretty inexpensive. At least the ones I am seeing on the major companies sites like Epson, HP, Canon, etc.

I have yet to find a photo printer that is a laser printer. Is there an advantage to...
      04-18-2006, 06:19 PM
    • Hankster65
      Best $200 Printer?
      by Hankster65
      Hiya all!

The ink on my dusty old Lexmark 3200 has run out and instead of spending $70 on cartridges I've decided to spend a couple of hundred for fully filled cartridges that come with a printer attached. I've read many reviews and am more confused by the moment. What I want is THE...
      11-04-2002, 10:56 PM
    • Craig Walters
      HP Photosmart D7260
      by Craig Walters
      i bought a new printer a month or so ago. it's, as you can see from the title of the thread, an HP Photosmart D7260. my old printer had just never quite lived up to what i wanted, so, after quite a bit of discussion with the sales guy at Staples, i bought this one.

now, bear in mind that...
      01-15-2008, 10:31 PM
    • smallworld
      Scanner and Printer Purchase
      by smallworld
      I've been restoring historical photos as a hobby and am starting to get larger chunks of business and want to invest in a really good scanner and printer. Right now I am using a HP Scanjet 4400c and an HP Photosmart 8450 printer.

I'd like to be able to make prints for clients from my...
      12-25-2005, 11:54 AM
    • beth313
      Patients is wearing thin!
      by beth313
      Hi all,

My HP photosmart 7900 series crapped out on me. It started printing horribly grey images. So, I have researched and researched and researched to no avail. I went to a store yesterday and the guy talked me into the HP D7460 printer. Well folks, it prints exactly the same as...
      05-25-2008, 12:32 AM
    Working...
    X