Rango - looking for feedback on smudge painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rango - looking for feedback on smudge painting

I decided to smudge a picture of Rango, the oldest living orangutan in captivity.
    Since I am new to smudging, I know it is not technically great, but I like the painter look.

What are your critiques and suggestions for improving.
    Attached Files

Re: Rango

Difficult subject...

To me smudging looks good on surfaces (like young peoples' skin) that are supposed to look smooth. It's more difficult to smudge wrinkled areas because the smudging smoothes them out, making them look unnatural.

I've seen where artists who have painted in shadows and highlights on top of the smudged areas to simulate texture/wrinkles, but "how" they decide on where to add paint or decide on colors is far beyond my abilities.

Impressive photo. Did you shoot it?

Comment

Re: Rango - looking for feedback on smudge paintin

Originally posted by keiser View Post
      I decided to smudge a picture of Rango, the oldest living orangutan in captivity.
      Since I am new to smudging, I know it is not technically great, but I like the painter look.

What are your critiques and suggestions for improving.
      Nice photo Keiser and the smudging is fine except for the few places you have missed, around the hand, Dodgeing and burning around the wrinkles will add some depth (as Danny has said) or some people will paint them back in
      If you havent come across this thread

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...resources.html

have a look around,

Palms

Comment

Yes, I took the photo. Had the camera with me and was hanging around the orangutan enclosure taking photos. He had a very bored look on his face until a docent walked up and started talking to him and his entire face changed. He looked like he was smiling. So I took the picture.

Yes, I looked at the smudging resources information. That is why I decided to try it.

I will probably go back and try this photo again. Maybe use more dodging and burning and pay more attention to not missing areas.

After going back and looking again. I see areas that need improvement.

Thanks for the feed back.

Comment

I think you did a good job, Keiser. For the fur, I would suggest Sarsa's brush.
          Sylvia

Comment

Please forgive me, Keiser. I just can't help it. Your photo of Rango is marvelous. In the smudge, his face looks like a catcher's mitt

<C>

Comment

Working...
            X