Clear All

• my 2nd try !! (Newfy ~dog)

Hi everyone
    heres my 2nd try using painter..
    Thanks for looking and any advice LOL be gentle LOL

Cazzie
    Attached Files

Re: my 2nd try !! (Newfy ~dog)

Looks fantastic to me Cazzie and welcome to our little corner.

Comment

cazzie I still like the work you have done on your dog but i dont think the background is right still, ( and no i am no expert on that subject i struggle with backgrounds as well )

Palms

Comment

I'm not an expert either, but at least to me, some of the ends of the fur appear feather-like. Otherwise, I like what you have done.
        Attached Files

Comment

Just came across these painter tutorials...

http://craigstutorials.com/blog/

Free.

Take a look... some pretty good stuff.

Comment

C:

I offer the attached interpretation as "food for thought," not as criticism of your effort. To be very truthful your first two tries at Painter are way, way better than mine were -- by a loooooong shot. The intent here is to give you a visual "something to chew on" for future reference.

Whether you like my style or not, ask yourself, "In what ways does this not look like a photo?" (or "In what ways does it look painted?") Hints: Color, detail, implied texture, it ain't "perfect" (photo-realistic), not every square inch (or cm) is covered in (digital) paint.

Nice job of isolating the subject; that's a good step forward. I'd suggest breaking up the background a bit so it's not solid. Perhaps "rough things up a bit" (over doing it with Unsharp Mask works well in this regard). Add some colors that aren't part of the original photo.

My preferred tool for adding arty variety (stroke and color-wise) is the Impressionist plugin [see note below my sig]. I used Charcoal > Default here, tweaking the brush size, hue and saturation settings. (If you are a PC person, Impressionist works under Painter as well as Photoshop.) Once Impressionist is applied, the colorful and varied strokes can be cloned and blended in Painter using brushes of choice.

Again, don't take this as criticism. Consider it a "different way."

I look forward to seeing you continue to grow. You have obviously got what it takes to get very, very good at this type of thing.

-----------------

I just added the grayscale version... kind of "out there" as a painted look. Again, food for thought.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DannyRaphael; 04-18-2008, 08:36 PM. Reason: add 2nd attachment

Comment

Originally posted by lkroll View Post
              Looks fantastic to me Cazzie and welcome to our little corner.
              Hi Ikroll,
              Thanks for your comment and welcome

Originally posted by palms1 View Post
              cazzie I still like the work you have done on your dog but i dont think the background is right still, ( and no i am no expert on that subject i struggle with backgrounds as well )

Palms
              Thanks Palms
              I appreciate any feedback to help me improve

Originally posted by hawkeye60 View Post
              I'm not an expert either, but at least to me, some of the ends of the fur appear feather-like. Otherwise, I like what you have done.
              Thanks hawkeye
              I see what you mean

Originally posted by DannyRaphael View Post
              Just came across these painter tutorials...

http://craigstutorials.com/blog/

Free.

Take a look... some pretty good stuff.
              Thanks danny will check these out!!

Originally posted by DannyRaphael View Post
              C:

I offer the attached interpretation as "food for thought," not as criticism of your effort. To be very truthful your first two tries at Painter are way, way better than mine were -- by a loooooong shot. The intent here is to give you a visual "something to chew on" for future reference.

Whether you like my style or not, ask yourself, "In what ways does this not look like a photo?" (or "In what ways does it look painted?") Hints: Color, detail, implied texture, it ain't "perfect" (photo-realistic), not every square inch (or cm) is covered in (digital) paint.

Nice job of isolating the subject; that's a good step forward. I'd suggest breaking up the background a bit so it's not solid. Perhaps "rough things up a bit" (over doing it with Unsharp Mask works well in this regard). Add some colors that aren't part of the original photo.

My preferred tool for adding arty variety (stroke and color-wise) is the Impressionist plugin [see note below my sig]. I used Charcoal > Default here, tweaking the brush size, hue and saturation settings. (If you are a PC person, Impressionist works under Painter as well as Photoshop.) Once Impressionist is applied, the colorful and varied strokes can be cloned and blended in Painter using brushes of choice.

Again, don't take this as criticism. Consider it a "different way."

I look forward to seeing you continue to grow. You have obviously got what it takes to get very, very good at this type of thing.

-----------------

I just added the grayscale version... kind of "out there" as a painted look. Again, food for thought.
              Thank you Danny,

I really appreciate your comments and feedback !! I really like what you did!
              I will give that go with the background!
              and thanks again I appreciate all the help i can get

I love this forum so glad i found you guy!!!

Comment

Danny- For the background, did you start with just some random colors brushed on, and then run impressionist? Could you share a little more info of what you did before you actually ran the filter?

thanks!

Comment

I gave this one another try and added the original photo this time ..

Thanks for looking
                  Attached Files

Comment

I almost forgot about this one.

Peter
                    Attached Files

Comment

A Good dog is a dog without a teeth.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sketch from me.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lkroll View Post
                          Sketch from me.
                          Lyle. i think this image is not sketch, it is a engraving. I would make an ex-libris.
                          Cool.

Comment

Yeah; it does look like a result that you would get from a woodblock stamp impression.

Comment

What a wonderful dog. Here's my PST version

For the background, I used an image of multicolored paint splatterd on a wall. I resized it to match the dog image then saved as a pattern. Used the PST with the Impressionist option ON and a spattery brush to paint in the color.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X