Smudge pretty blond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smudge pretty blond

Hi here is a smudge painting I just finished. What do you think?
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Cathy
    Attached Files

Re: Smudge pretty blond

I like it.

Comment

Very nice Cathy, the only thing i would say is the hair on the left as you look at the screen seems a bit distracting (just under the chin the blonde bit on the darker hair) i might have cloned that bit out
      but a very nice subtle smudge
      may i ask which brush you used

Palms

Comment

very nice Kathy

Comment

Thank you Hawkeye, Palms, and Gilbert.
          It is subtle, I have tried them less but then they seem to distort the features of the face to much. I guess there is a fine line between too much and not enough.
          Palms I used a set of brushes I got off the internet along time ago, I'm not sure but I think they are from here the link seems broken http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=84461[/URL]http://www.pbase.com/sunny713/profile
          this is the ladies site http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=84461

Comment

the link's on Lisa's post are broken now but i do have the brush's

Palms

Comment

very nice, cathy!

just a thought here and i dont mean this as a criticism, just an option depending on what you're after; if you're looking for a great retouch, like in glamour shots, then the smudge would be just a bit too 'clean' and i'd add some noise to the skin area. but if the object was a pure, 'clean' skin-smudge, then it looks really good

and i hope that you dont mind that i had a play with this. i used both the original and your smudge, some blend modes and a threshold to get that poster look. she looks like something straight out of a mickey spillane novel
              Attached Files

Comment

Craig, I don't mind at all, that looks really neat, I especially like the eyes.
                Thanks for the comments, I was going for a smudge painting, but it doesn't look very much like a painting. I need to work on the brush stroke look.

Comment

More erase throughs then smudging.

Cleaned stray hairs and distractions in the background and then ran GREYCstoration and ACE (and erased where I needed to) for this one. Well, I also did a brightening step prior to all the above.
                  Attached Files

Comment

And not a smudge.

OK Cathy; hope you don't mind some additional play. I've been experimenting with Guilloche techniques very strongly the last few weeks and just wanted to do some more here. Just providing a link (around 500K).

Here's the link.

Comment

lkroll, those are both really cool. I like what happened to the hair in the first one, maybe you could smooth out the side of the lips though. (just a thought).
                      The second one looks like it should be printing onto a dollar bill. Is Guilloche a plug in?

And I don't mind at all that you play, is sure is better than fighting.
                      keep them coming.

Comment

Unfortunately, no one individual filter can do this. I used a technique that I outlined here and blended in DCSpecial's Nylon to it.

Comment

Thanks lkroll, it looks like you are putting a lot of hard working into it. I was hoping for a quick filter.

Comment

Originally posted by CathyH View Post
                            ...I was going for a smudge painting, but it doesn't look very much like a painting. I need to work on the brush stroke look.
                            Unless one is very close to the monitor or the art is blown up into a large print or canvas, one of the challenges of smudge paintings is creating something that "looks painted" especially if one stays faithful to the original colors and highlights.

Something that sometimes works is once you get to the "final result" [and assuming Photoshop] duplicate that layer and then apply a healthy dose of "over sharpening" to emphasize colors and textures. You can then use a layer mask and/or opacity setting to include/exclude as much of the effect as you like.

Here's an example to chew on...

Getting the "right look" (whatever That is) in smudge painting is definitely an art, not a science. Keep at it. Starting with a great photo like this one sure helps.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Danny I will keep working on it, and I like yours too.
                              cathy

Comment