Background manipulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background manipulation

I believe one of the keys to a great smudge painting is the use of the background. What are some of the common techniques/tips that are used to change the background so it will better reflect the subject? Do some just repaint the background, remove it altogether and put something else there, or what other methods are used?

Re: Background manipulation

Hi, Graham5! Welcome to RetouchPro! Explore and Enjoy!

I decide from picture to picture how I will treat the background. It depends a lot on the image. Sometimes I'll extract the subject and put a copy on a new layer and blur the background, other times I'll paint in a new background (either from another image with the PST or with a soft chalky brush with color dynamics set to vary the fore/background colors)

Comment

I agree with Swampy depends upon each image, and the image subject no hard and fast rule from me

Palms

Comment

Graham,

Another way is to use the Art History Brush to create a new background from the old one, and mask out the parts you want to remove.

I have some free painted-looking backgrounds on my website, if you want to download them.
        Photoart-tutorials
        The free stuff is at the bottom of the page.

Sylvia

Comment

Thanks a bunch, everyone! I have a lot to work with now. Off to work on my next picture and using everyone's tips and critique. Will post as soon as done.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• kelvin
            Background
            by kelvin
            I am real sorry for asking this dumb question i have done it loads of times and now i just can't remember. I took a pic of a lion on my Hols to South Africa, i want to put the lions head on my website, i need only the head i can't remember how to get rid of the background every time...
            01-01-2003, 04:59 AM
          • ISeek
            Image background
            by ISeek
            Hello
            I took a picture of my son and have removed the background. Now I am placing a studio background in it. But the problem is that my son is sitting in the photo. How do I show that the half of the background is on the back and on half of it he is sitting.
            I can put the shadow under...
            09-21-2009, 03:54 PM
          • Kim
            Workspace background
            by Kim
            I once saw this very cool background set for PS (workspace) in 1 of the video tutorials. It's not just a simple change in background color but a completely (image) background (like those we set for computer desktop background)

Can we do that for photoshop workspace ???

10-10-2008, 11:30 AM
          • yyhow
            Complicated Background Extension
            by yyhow
            Hey guys, my first time posting on this forum.
            I've messed around with this image for quite some time and I have no where else to turn to.

So originally this image was in a portrait layout and I want to switch it to landscape. So I've copied and pasted to extend the background....
            10-14-2014, 05:20 AM
          • Bloodnok
            Can this be rescued?
            by Bloodnok
            Photo here

I think the problem should be obvious - is there any way to bring out the statues and/or de-emphasise the background? I should say that I had pretty much Hobson's choice in the positioning and timing of this shot - passing through early afternoon (harsh light) and not much...
            12-06-2006, 03:36 PM
          Working...
          X