Tutorial: Sports Cards, Chris Rozema Artistic Action templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial: Sports Cards, Chris Rozema Artistic Action templates

Chris Rozema of Artistic Action (www.artisticaction.com) has graciously offered to craft a tutorial describing the steps he uses to create some terrific sports related photo-art. Examples can be seen at www.artisticaction.com/portfolio.htm under "The Pride - Poster Prints."

See the following post.

THANK YOU, Chris!

~Danny~
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 08-06-2004, 06:15 PM. Reason: updated thread title

Marvellous - looking forward to that treat very much! With 3 grandsons, two into sports I'd naturally be hugely interested in doing something like this.....many thanks!

Comment

The Pride

Thanks Danny,

Here are a few examples of what I call "The Pride" and How put one together

I have more samples of them posted at http://www.artisticaction.com/portfolio.htm

I usually use 2 (sometimes 3) photos for these 1 is a cut-out (cut-out the player from the background) and the other is just masked.

With the cut-outs, at least for me, it just took a lot of practice. I tried demos of Corel Knock-Out and Extensis Mask Pro and they worked alright but didn't give me exactly what I wanted without doing a lot of touchups, so I found it easiest to do them this way (with Photoshop of course) --

I have found that the best photos to work with to create the cut-outs are where the player is the focus and the background is uncluttered and blurred.

To create a poster print with a cutout image
      1. Open Poster Template (or any background your want to use) in PhotoShop or Photo Elements
      Add a Main player photo
      2. Open main photo to use as cut-out selection
      3. Make any photo color corrections and resizing (resize to the approx size and pixels as the background using Image > Image Size)
      4. Use your favorite method for making a cut-out selection and place on top background layer
      (see or tips for making a smooth selection below)
      Optional lightly feather the selection
      5. Ctrl + Click (Mac Command + Click) on Main Cut-Out layer
      6. From Menu click Select > Feather > Feather Radius -- enter 5 then click OK
      7. From Menu click Select > Inverse and then Delete key
      8. Deselect main cut-out -- Ctrl + D (Mac Command + D)
      9. If all looks fine then create a copy of this layer
      10. Double click on layer under the one you just copied to add a Layer Style
      pick Layer Style AAWhiteShadow (this style is included on your CD or DVD)
      SAVE

Tips for making a smooth selection:

I start out making a rough outline of the object that I want to cutout from the background using the Lasso then I inverse and delete. I find it easiest to work on a white background. So I Ctrl + Click on the layer the image is on and copy and paste it into a new image with a white background and save is as a PSD

Then I use the Magic Wand --
      with a tolerance of about 30 to 40, with Add a Selection hi-lighted. Start carefully picking spots outside the images to keep. If it selects inside the image to keep then click Ctrl + Z (Mac Command + Z)
      Select as much or little as you like at a time but before hitting delete feather your selection of 2 pixels
      To feather -- from the Menu Select > Feather > 2 px
      Doing a slight feathering will smooth out your selection as to not have a jagged edge.

Repeat these steps as many times as need to remove the background - lower the tolerance as needed.
      Another good tool for removing the background is the Lasso or Magnetic Lasso set them with a 2 px feather and the Add a Selection highlighted, if you selected too much then click on the Subtract from Selection
      SAVE

Repeat these steps as many times as need to remove the background - lower the tolerance as needed.
      Another good tool for removing the background is the Lasso or Magnetic Lasso set them with a 2 px feather and the Add a Selection highlighted, if you selected too much then click on the Subtract from Selection
      ------------------------
      Add a background photo of player
      1. Open photo to use
      2. Make any photo color corrections (resize to the approx size and pixels as the background using Image > Image Size)
      3. Using Lasso tool make a rough cut-out of player
      4. Bring into poster template and place behind main photo
      5. Desaturate ( to desaturate from menu click on Image > Adjustments > Desaturate
      6. Set layer blend mode to luminosity, adjust Opacity to your liking (usually about 90%)
      7. Optional -- if not happy with the way in looks then add a layer mask and using a large soft brush paint out what you want to remove, recommend painting instead of erasing since you can always paint stuff back in.
      SAVE
      ----------------------
      You are welcome to download a template demo and try it out this out. Please go to http://www.artisticaction.com/templatedemo.htm for details

We also have free patriotic team border to try out for Photoshop and Express Digital. Please go to http://www.artisticaction.com/patriotic.htm or contact us for details

Please feel free to contact me if any questions at:
      [email protected]

Thank you,

Chris Rozema
      Artistic Action
      http://www.artisticaction.com
      Attached Files

Comment

Chris - Many thanks, you must've heard me wishing you'd call soon
        Awesome work and obvious talent are evident in your posters. I'm due to leave for a few weeks (grandchild No. 5 due) and have downloaded your tute. I will savour this and will look forward eargerly to giving this a go. Thank you for sharing. I primarily use PSP8.01 and understood all the steps given no problem.

Cheers

Comment

Re: The Pride

Thanks Neve and best wishes with no. 5!

Please share what you come up with when you get a chance. Would love to see it.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris. I have one grandson who plays soccer and I will be keen to try this out and do a poster for him. I hope more folks call in here and show an interest too. You've put a lot of work into those tuts.

Comment

Cheer Pic

Chris,

You have inspired me to make one of my daughter.

Thanks,

David
              Attached Files

Comment

Football

And one of my son also.

Thanks,

David
                Attached Files

Comment

Re: The Pride

Nice work David, I'm sure your children appreciate them!

Chris

Comment

Chris:

Just got back from a few days of R&R.

Wow... Your tutorial is great and Neve's and DCM's creations are terrific.

Thanks again for inspiring so many of us.
                    ~Danny~

Comment

Hi Chris,
                      Those are great, your a very talented person.
                      Wayne

Comment

DCM - Wonderful results and very well done - something for your son and daughter to treasure.

Danny ? - You're still in R&R mode I haven't posted any results yet! That will have to wait, we're leaving Wednesday for a month or so.

Comment

Working...
                        X