But, is it Art?

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tareq
    Art in Photography.....Discussion
    by Tareq
    Hey all,

I would like to ask about: What is art in photography?
    How can you define Photography Fine Art?
    When you can say about a photo that it is art?
    What is the standard or qualification for the photo to be an art?
    Who can tell about any photo that it...
    02-03-2009, 05:35 PM
  • Steve Conway
    Photo Art Market
    by Steve Conway
    I posted this before but no response so will try one more time.

Need to know if there are markets for photo art. Have some images I would like to submit along with regular photos. Any company that buys photos might also buy photo art, but don't want to turn any off by submitting art if...
    03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
  • winwintoo
    Here's your chance to defend your art form.
    by winwintoo
    I'm from the "I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like" crowd.

I just had a discussion with my son the artsy university student. One of his classes is looking at art and computers and the internet and all that. I'm not sure what they are trying to prove, but he...
    03-05-2003, 09:04 PM
  • Doug Nelson
    Does Art (capital A) exist?
    by Doug Nelson
    I just finished watching Art School Confidential (very good movie, btw) and it brought up an interesting point: can one be an Artist and create Art, or is it just varying degrees of craftsmanship and popularity?
    10-29-2006, 05:36 AM
  • bimmer
    Misc: What is Photo-art exactly?
    by bimmer
    What exactly constitutes "Photo-art"?
    When is an image "Photo-art" and not "just art"?
    When is a photo "just a photo" and not "photo-art"?

If this seems like a stupid question, feel free to shoot me down :-) I'm just trying...
    12-23-2002, 06:17 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But, is it Art?

Originally posted by DannyRaphael
    ...I would say manipulation of any kind that one applies to a photo is an artistic endeavor. But the debate of whether the result is "art or not" belongs in a separate thread, so I will leave it at that.

Other RetouchPRO threads on this topic:
    * http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6162
    * http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274

~Danny~
    Hi Danny!

This is for the new thread:

If a picture taken by sy makes me thinking about and has feeling that's art if sy manipulate it and the picture get another meaning less or more but another that's art same i think but I' m not an artist till I've nothing to tell.

Saby
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 09-16-2004, 04:04 PM. Reason: Added links to other "Is it art?" threads.

Originally posted by saby
    Hi Danny!

This is for the new thread:

If a picture taken by sy makes me thinking about and has feeling that's art if sy manipulate it and the picture get another meaning less or more but another that's art same i think but I' m not an artist till I've nothing to tell.

Saby
    That is an interesting perspective. I have never thought of composing a photo or manipulating a photo for the purpose of telling a story. For a photo, I think of it as capturing a moment in time, but that's usually because most of my photos are of my children, and they MOVE very quickly!

~Danny~

Comment

Tiny question. Huge answers (which should all start with "IMHO....")

IMHO "art" is producing something which will provoke a sentiment in others. Could de music, sculpture, architecture or photography. Of them all, photography is maybe the most difficult because normally you will be only registering an existing scene on film. Before photo manipulation got easy, (with limited possibilities of darkroom manipulation) the art part would come from either arranging the initial scene, or capturing something that normally wouldn't be seen.
      But now, with photo manipulation, we can take a pretty common photo and, yes, turn it into art.

For a photo, I think of it as capturing a moment in time, but that's usually because most of my photos are of my children.....
      So you shoot a roll of film. 35 of the pictures give you (and just you) a warm proud father feeling but one of them stands out. You rotate and crop to get good composition. You change some colors to get the mood. You sharpen the subject and blur the background. You run it through Impressionist(!) to get a painted feeling. etc... etc..etc...etc.. and when you're finished you've got something that makes everybody feel something. Then, to me, that's art.
      /IMHO Sorry about the huge answer,

Roland

Comment

There's a large but civil discussion thread on this very subject in the Salon forum.
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

The thread Doug refers to is excellent but as I don't know how to transport the thoughts above and my own over there, I'll respond here.

I would take Saby's comments a little more liberally. Telling a story or..creating, altering or manipulating "anything" that evokes an emotional response in oneselve and others is art. In other words, I've always felt that if I create something from scratch or from manipulation which evokes an emotional response in myself and when shown to someone else who also gets an emotional response..it is art.
          I guess that's why I could never see an elephant's splashing of paint on a canvas as art since there is no emotional response by the creator. It doesn't mean that lots of people wouldn't like to hang it their homes though.

Cheers
          Dave

Comment

That is an interesting perspective. I have never thought of composing a photo or manipulating a photo for the purpose of telling a story. For a photo, I think of it as capturing a moment in time, but that's usually because most of my photos are of my children, and they MOVE very quickly!

~Danny~
            Hi Danny!

Than your pictures of Ur children can tell the most stories to U. I think what ever I made or make that typical of me. An Artist not depend on skills or any kind of qualification just want to tell sg to others by a picture a film a sketch...
            Here U're a picture this is originally one moment in time but it can tell its storie.

Saby

Comment

Working...
            X