Creative Interpretations: Windy Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Interpretations: Windy Tree

I came across some of my slides from 25 years ago yesterday and thought this one might interest you.
    Attached Files

And here's my first attempt.

New Layer
    Fill with #B86915 (brown)
    Mode: Overlay

New Layer
    Alt Merge Visible
    Levels Layer (20, 1.00, 235)

Duplicate Merged Layer twice

On Top Layer
    Mode: Difference
    Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur (Radius: 12.6)
    Merge Down

On Top Layer
    Merge Down

On Top Layer
    Filter > Sharpen > USM
    Amount: 100
    Radius: 15.6
    Threshold: 0
    Levels Layer (40, 1.00, 255)

New Layer
    Fill with White
    Filter > Render > Lighting Effects
    Light Type: Omni
    Color: Yellow
    Place light 1/4 down from top, 1/4 in from RH side
    Attached Files

Comment

Mal -- spectacularly striking!!

Comment

Nice image Mal. Really like your rendition. I thought it would lend itself to simplicity.

Ran a Levels adjustment layer to increase contrast.
        Applied a Sketcher action (Can't remember where I got it from. Maybe be a Mike Finn)
        Erased sky artifacts.

Cheers
        Dave
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mal Firth
          And here's my first attempt.

New Layer
          Fill with #B86915 (brown)

New Layer
          Alt Merge Visible
          Levels Layer (20, 1.00, 235)

Duplicate Merged Layer twice

On Top Layer
          Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur (Radius: 12.6)
          Merge Down

On Top Layer
          Merge Down

On Top Layer
          Filter > Sharpen > USM
          Amount: 100
          Radius: 15.6
          Threshold: 0
          Levels Layer (40, 1.00, 255)

New Layer
          Fill with White
          Filter > Render > Lighting Effects
          Light Type: Omni
          Color: Yellow
          Place light 1/4 down from top, 1/4 in from RH side
          Really awesome colors & wonderful detail, Mal. Thanks for a good challenge on this one.

Comment

That's Gorgeous Mal. A visual rebirth of a old photo.

Brad

Comment

My pencil sketch

pencil sketch with Trimoon's new Texture!
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the terrific renditions, I've gone for a river of fire

Levels Layer (66, 1.20, 235)

New Layer
                Alt Merge Visible
                Gradient Layer (loaded Color Harmonies 1 and used Yellow, Blue, Red, Green gradient)
                Levels Layer (35, 1.00, 225)

Cloned out the large green area near the top right corner,
                Attached Files

Comment

I keep reading these threads and wondering as well as wondering when I'll have the guts to try to add to. My thought is the original photo was wonderful. So it seems to me to be too much a challange to go some where else, but I want to. I will. But bye the way, that really is a great photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Robt
                    I keep reading these threads and wondering as well as wondering when I'll have the guts to try to add to. My thought is the original photo was wonderful. So it seems to me to be too much a challange to go some where else, but I want to. I will. But bye the way, that really is a great photo.
                    Robt:

Agreed. A surpurb picture. (Thanks, Mal, for sharing another of your fine shots.)

Your observation begs the question, "Why arty-ize a perfectly good photo?" Because we can, I guess.

You better get hopping on posting some artistic creations. With Mt. St. Helens so close, we Seattle-ites might be buried in magma by the end of the week! (Robt and I live about 110 miles from the steaming volcano. If you think the national coverage is a bit overdone, you should live around here. It's nuts.)

By now you know there are no sharks in this forum. Jump in the pool anytime. You'll be met with liferings and sponges, not harpoons!

Comment

Originally posted by Robt
                      Danny's right, this is a great place to play Most of the time when I do one of my own "creations" - rather than using an action kindly provided by one of the geniuses on this and the dpr Retouching forums - I haven't a clue what I'm going to do. I just keep playing until I get something I like and quite often in the process I learn a litle more about Photoshop.

Comment

how true!

Originally posted by Mal Firth
                        I just keep playing until I get something I like and quite often in the process I learn a litle more about Photoshop.
                        How true this is. It's not only Mal I belive everyone!
                        Manju

Comment

Threshold adj. layer
                          several selections
                          fills
                          masked painting
                          Attached Files

Comment

Corel photopaint - color fill layer, merge, color masks.
                            Ps7- image adjustments - selective and replace colors.
                            Tried to achieve a "dramatic" realistic look.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great Photo

Mal - wonderful photo to work with and thank you. I'm blown away by the resulting submissions, they're wonderful, well done! Well, with no preconceived idea what I was going to do I must say I was delighted when I discovered a different way to colourise in the process. I spent time on the photo bringing back some contrast and bite etc. first.

Original layer on the bottom.

Filled a second layer with a gradient (blue on top, green on the bottom)

Duped bottom layer and placed as layer 3 - Used Filter Alpha Works but cannot recall the setting I used ? Line Art White Out(they have many). Which left me with a ghost layer of dark outlines. This allows the gradient to show through and, while you work on the 2nd Layer, you can see what you are doing (i.e. cloning, erasing etc). You can also change Layer Blend Modes for different effects on this 'ghost' layer.

Working on the second layer (gradient) I cloned the green to reach to the top of the rocks to the right. I then erased the green to reveal the gray rocks/stones. Ditto for the path and tree trunk etc.

Given more time I'd have painted the path (on the 2nd layer).

I merged all layers. The colours were strong so I reduced the saturation and lightened. Buzzed a little, added a canvas texture.

Cheers
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Neve; 10-06-2004, 07:38 PM.

Comment