alternative to buzz simplifiers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative to buzz simplifiers?

Anyone have an alternative fliteror setting for PSP8 that comes even close to doing what Buzz simplifiers do? Don't have the $$ right now to purchase it.

If you use VP gouache as a simplifier you get a decent result, but nothing nearly as cool as with the buzz simplifiers.

AmyHutton

Amy:

These combinations will get you in the ballpark depending on image characteristics. Not as good as the genuine article, but much less expensive if you already own Photoshop:
    * Dry Brush -or- Cutout -or- Image > Adjustments > Posterize
    * Smart Blur, Normal, radius and threshold to taste
    * Diffuse > Anisotropic to soften the edges a bit
    * Edit > Fade Diffuse (to tone down the softing some)

~Danny~

Comment

I recently bought a copy of a magazine called Compuer Arts Projects for $13.99, and it comes with a CD that has a free copies of Buzz Simplifier and PhotoArtMaster Classic. I got it at Barnes & Noble.

Comment

The issue with Buzz is the project issue 52, I got mine at Borders and have seen it at Tower Books also (in CA). Bought mine just before Christmas, so hopefully that issue is still in the stores.

Patricia

Comment

FOUND ALTERNATIVE-FREE

Spent the weekend trying to fin an alternative to the buzz simplifiers, and finally found one.

Fantastic Machines' Free Paint Engine has always been one of my favorites. Do a standard Poster7 and voila! Really nice effect.

It also has poster 1-4 filters, but the 7 does just what I want.

See att

AmyHutton
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the software (the URL for anyone interested). Another one worth trying is Amphisoft's simplifier - also freeware.

Comment

Fantastic Machines' Free Paint Engine

>>Fantastic Machines' Free Paint Engine has always been one of my favorites. Do a standard Poster7 and voila! Really nice effect.<<

I downloaded the Free Paint engine...but I do not see anything related to Poster 7. What am I doing wrong? The program does work for me...there just aren't any effects called poster,or poster 7.

Thanks if anyone can help with my ignorance here. MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjfdl
                >>Fantastic Machines' Free Paint Engine has always been one of my favorites. Do a standard Poster7 and voila! Really nice effect.<<

I downloaded the Free Paint engine...but I do not see anything related to Poster 7. What am I doing wrong? The program does work for me...there just aren't any effects called poster,or poster 7.

Thanks if anyone can help with my ignorance here. MJ
                MJ:

The PC I'm using at the moment does not have PE installed, so I cannot check my PE settings file.

Can you list the built-in PE standard settings from the dropdown menu?

~Danny~

Comment

re :Free Paint engine

The drop down menu is under "stroke".
                  Uphill
                  downhill
                  random
                  selected
                  intensity 1
                  intensity 2
                  slope
                  uphill intensity 1
                  uphill intensity 2
                  Saturation 1
                  Saturation 2
                  hue 1
                  hue 2

Comment

Below the randomize button there is a drop down list - you should find poster 7 here along with a whole load of others.

Christine

Comment

If you open the menu Christine noted (the one under the Randomize button) and there are no entries, you need to install file fmachines.ini into your C:\WINNT folder (that's the folder name under Windows 2000... it's the main Windows folder on C:\ if you don't have a WINNT).

Comment

Fantastic Machines' Free Paint Engine

O.k. thanks for the help. I found the other drop down menu but it says (none). I must have screwed up the download. I'll figure it out from here.

Why can't they make computers for right brainers? I love what I can do on a computer...but all the stuff that goes with it drives me nutz.

Routers and virus and folders...oh my!

Comment

Originally posted by mjfdl
                          O.k. thanks for the help. I found the other drop down menu but it says (none). I must have screwed up the download. I'll figure it out from here.

Why can't they make computers for right brainers? I love what I can do on a computer...but all the stuff that goes with it drives me nutz.

Routers and virus and folders...oh my!
                          The reason I'm "so smart" is cuz I had the exact same problem you did once upon a time many moons ago. This pecular setup trips up a lot of folks, so no biggie. PE is the only plugin I know of with this installation requirement.

The download was probably OK since you were able to locate/install the .8bf file. Somewhere there should have been a fmachines.ini file (along with the plugin file).

Anyway, you should be rolling again soon. Have fun.
                          ~Danny~

Comment