Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Woman: Hue/Saturation?

Hello,

I am brand new to Photo Art and am excited to start tinkering with my photos to make them more artful. I found the myjanee.com tutorials and I am working through those at the moment.

I want to learn Photo Art as a basis for designing club-type fliers and posters.

I was wondering how I could go about achieving this look:
    http://www.flyercity.com/cache/flyer...0225104926.jpg

Would it just be a matter of playing with a Hue/Saturation level on the image, or has something else been done to make this reddish in color?

Thanks for any tips you can give.

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

I don't know the 'official' way of doing this technique - there is probably a filter that does it in an automated way ... I gave it a quick try and this is what I did ...

-converted to b&w
    -Increased contrast with curve (image on left with curve in middle)
    -Added Solid color layer, changed blending mode to color

The only reason I think they might be using this method is that there is a lot of color in the light areas. Could also be done with colorize checked in Hue/Saturation ...

To match look you could add some blur then add noise / grain.

Good luck,
    Roger
    Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Roger. Mostly you need to experiment until you get the look you like. I would suggest using Simplifier plugins and actions, colorizing and adding noise. Here's a different effect.

Cheers
      Duv
      Attached Files

Comment

Image:Adjust:Posterize

We use it a lot for screened in background images on posters and stuff.

Comment

No idea how they did it back then, but I just posterized (4 tones), applied red multiply layer, then put the whole thing over a pinkish layer and applied a layer mask.
          Attached Files
          Learn by teaching
          Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Thanks for all those suggestions!

I am gonna play with it tonight (once I clear all this PS7 action pallette bugginess I am having! grrrr!)

I'll post the results.

Nat

Comment

Duv,

Where would I be able to find out more about those Simplifier plugins?

Thanks,
              Nat

Comment

Layer Order & Layer Mask

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
                No idea how they did it back then, but I just posterized (4 tones), applied red multiply layer, then put the whole thing over a pinkish layer and applied a layer mask.

Doug,

So far, so good. Just wondering what layer you put the layer mask on and where that Pink layer was in the stacking order?

I've attached a screen shot of my layer order...

Thanks,
                Nat
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rnbluvva
                  Duv,

Where would I be able to find out more about those Simplifier plugins?

Thanks,
                  Nat
                  Hi Nat

There's probably lots of different Simplifier effect out there. Others may be able to steer you to some other sites. The two I use most is Dave's Simplifier action found at atncentral.com and Amphisoft Simplifer plugin at amphisoft.com.

Cheers
                  Duv

Comment

Thanks Duv!

Nanaimo is such a pretty place. Do they still have those murals on the walls in town?

Nat

Comment

Your group looks pretty much like mine, only I grouped the red fill layer to the posterized layer, then applied the layer mask to the posterized layer. I masked pretty aggressively for the bg, then turned down my brush opacity to 5% for the eyes (and would have done the same if I'd done the nose, etc., like in the original).
                      Learn by teaching

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
                        Your group looks pretty much like mine, only I grouped the red fill layer to the posterized layer, then applied the layer mask to the posterized layer. I masked pretty aggressively for the bg, then turned down my brush opacity to 5% for the eyes (and would have done the same if I'd done the nose, etc., like in the original).
                        Doug,

When you say 'grouped', do you mean you linked the layers?

I've tried linking the layers, putting the pink fill layer beneath the red/posterized layer and then putting a layer mask on the posterized image... then tried to brush on the mask with black on the red parts of the image to erase to pink. It's not erasing to pink. I know I am doing something stupidly wrong here... LOL

Can someone clue me in?

Thanks

Comment

Used to by called Group With, now it is called Clipping Mask. Put your mouse on the line between layers and hold down the alt/option key - it changes to a different symbol - while holding down alt/option click your mouse on that line and the layer above the line you will be indented.

This means that only where there is image area will the above layer show through - anywhere the layer below is clear or masked that above layer is masked. Or to put it another way only shows where the layer that it is grouped with shows.

From the Menu: Layers>Create/Remove Cliiping Mask.

Hope this helps,
                          Roger

Comment

Yeah, what Roger said
                            Learn by teaching

Comment

Finished!

Thanks for the help with the Clipping Mask Roger. I didn't know about that before you pointed it out.

I finished the image Yay.

I've attached the Before and the After Images.

Thanks for all your help on this!

Nat
                              Attached Files

Comment