Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #04 - Butterfly

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #04

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category.

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum posted here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as a souce of amusement until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
    * It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques..
    * Everyone who participates is a winner.
    * There’s no expiration date.

- - - - - - - - - - -

#4 – Butterfly

This image is courtesy of member FreeImages.com. It is posted as a "promotion" and cannot be used for commercial purposes without complying with the usage agreement / conditions spelled out in excruciating legal detail at their site.

Guidelines:
    1. Use any method, application(s), filters, plug-ins, style, whatever you like to convert this photo to “art.” Watercolor, oil, pastel, Art History Brush, sketch, van Gogh (eek!), convert to black and white, add a frame, hand-paint it, superimpose an image of Michael Jordan over it, etc. – Makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100K size limit). Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. Since this mini-challenge, don’t feel like a detailed step-by-step description on how you achieved your results is required, but at least share what applications and/or plugins you used… More detail is welcome if you’re so inclined.

4. Have fun

OK. Playtime!

~DannyR~
    Attached Files

A quick and sloppy usage of the extract tool to isolate the butterfly, then hue/sat to change colors. Imported a little friend in yellow, ran a SPLAT! pattern for texture and a couple of Flaming Pear freebie filters, some curves and sharpen tool and a frame. Lunchtime at the popular plant!
    Attached Files

Comment

What a deal: Photo art during lunch! Great way to relax and have a few minutes of fun + exercise the creativity muscles.

Like the more vibrant colors and your addition of "friends," who decided to drop by for a little chit-chat! You have the knack even when your time is short.

~Danny~

Comment

This has nothing to do with the Art Mini-Challenge, I just thought it was interesting. When I first saw the butterfly pic, my first thought was that it had been way oversharpened via USM, so I wondered how to lessen that effect.

I ran 'minimize' on it at the lowest setting, then faded that another 13%. Not perfect, but it's a tip I'd never heard of before

I painted the logo back in with the history brush.
        Attached Files
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Ok, this IS having to do with the mini-Challenge, but it's purely accidental. I took my un-usm version, laid it over the orig, and applied difference blend mode. Then I flattened, inverted, and applied a tiny gaussian blur.
          Attached Files
          Learn by teaching

Comment

Difference Blend Mode: Finally a useful use

I knew that if I oversharpened that butterfly before I posted it, somebody would call me on it!

Facinating technique, Doug. I've been mucking with it the past hour or so...

A couple clarification questions:

RE: faded that another 13%...
            ...does this translate to Fade/Normal/13% or 87%?

RE: I ran 'minimize' on it at the lowest setting
            You meant to write "Minimum," right?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The first time I tried your recipe, there wasn't enough "difference" between the top and bottom layers. I got a completely black screen.

I then I tried moving the lower layer to offset the pixels a smidge using the MOVE tool and clicking the DOWN and RIGHT arrows twice each. This yielded a very interesting - (for me) a very detailed outline, more detailed than Find Edges or (inverted) Glowing Edges.

Also trying various combinations of...
            * Background copy, Blend=Difference, apply Gaussian Blur to taste
            * Background

Finally, a potential use for that goofy Difference blend mode Looks like this has the the possiblity of becoming another "photo-art" basic technique. .

Thanks for sharing your findings and results. Nice to have that 'how to undo some oversharpening' wizardry in the bag of tricks.

Did I mention your accidental-art butterfly is very cool? I didn't? OK. It definitely is.

~Danny~

Comment

Hey, I like the goofy difference mode

Yeah, 87% and -mum's the word.
              Learn by teaching

Comment

Danny - where are the attachments? I wanna see...
                Jeanie

Comment

Jasc Virtual Painter

Original posts deleted and replaced by this and the following one. For some reason the attachments didn't "attach" on the first go around. Probably "Operator Error." DannyR

---------------------------------

Sometimes Jasc's Virtual Painter can generate a pretty decent outcome. I especially like how the Color Pencil effect really seems to bring out colors.

==========
                  Layer stack:
                  ==========
                  C. Copy of B; applied Angled strokes; blend=overlay
                  B. Copy of Background; applied Virtual Painter "color pencil" effect; blend=overlay
                  A. Background (original image less logo)

Keep having FUN!

~DannyR~
                  Attached Files

Comment

Minimum, Maximum, Smart Blur

This one was a result of trying various combinations of the Minimum, Maximum and Smart Blur filters...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow - you aren't kidding that it brings out the colors, Danny! I need to find my sunglasses!

All kidding aside... These are both very colorful images - and I like color! If you want people to focus on the butterfly though, you might want to tone down the bright green a bit, since it seems to overpower the image.

I like your experiment with minimum and maximum - I have yet to really understand those two filters, so it's interesting to see them used. Thanks!

Jeanie

Comment

Doug, I love the subtle effect you got on your image - very "light" just like a butterfly.

Also - interesting tip on "unsharpening". Thanks.

Jeanie

Comment

Ok, this is just for fun, here's my donation. I first selected the butterfly and duplicated. Color balance -100 for cyan, mag, + 100 blue. Effects, pattern, darken mode, 90% opacity. The pattern was somewhat like lattice, not quite, but I liked it. I found out you learn a lot trying out different filters, and combination of filters
                          Sorry, guys, I did it in Deluxe. Not for long, I'm going to widen my horizons

Wanda
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wanda:

"Oh, yeah!"

Very creative. Lattice-work is inspired. Thanks for playing along. Your contributions are always welcome and appreciated.

========
                            Jeanie:

Yer right about the gr-eeeen. It is pretty bright! Good call.

~Danny~

Comment

Danny, thanks, and you're welcome Thanks for this forum, it's a lot of fun, and not so stressful

Wanda

Comment