Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #05 - The Bridge

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #05

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category.

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum posted here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as a souce of amusement until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
    * It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques..
    * Everyone who participates is a winner.
    * There’s no expiration date.

- - - - - - - - - - -

#5 – Bridge

Here's an image with gobs of Photo-based potential.

Guidelines:
    1. Use any method, application(s), filters, plug-ins, style, whatever you like to convert this photo to “art.” Watercolor, oil, pastel, Art History Brush, sketch, van Gogh (eek!), convert to black and white, add a frame, hand-paint it, superimpose an image of Michael Jordan over it, animate it, etc. – Makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100K size limit). Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience.

4. Have fun.

The Sandbox is OPEN! Go for it.

~DannyR~
    Attached Files

I was going to post an entirely different version, and then I tried something at the last minute and decided to post it instead. I can't quite believe how I got to this point from where I was. I think I'll post the "original" so you can see the difference, which is just one layer overlay changed.
    Attached Files

Comment

I really like this image, Danny! This was a lot of fun to play with.

As a matter of fact, I got so engrossed in playing that I lost track of what I was doing.... This is basically it, although I'm sure I've forgotten a few steps somewhere...

I duplicated the BG layer several times. I ran paint engine on one layer @ a strong Arctic setting. On another layer, I did paint daubs. Sat layers to various blending modes that I can't remember at this point. Did a Chroma Solarize (Flaming Pear) on one. I erased the sky on most of the layers except the chroma solarize one, and I changed the chroma solarized layer to difference which was what caused the darkened sky effect. I painted in a moon, and then added moon rays with Solar Cell (another trick in the Flaming Pear pack).

I added a layer and painted in some white highlights with my brush set to dissolve.

That's about it!
      Attached Files

Comment

This version is what I was going to put up, and the only difference between this and the bridge 4 is I copied the green channel from the original and set the blend mode to difference (and a Splat! texture filter). Literally like night and day the difference difference made.
        Attached Files

Comment

A sunny day at the bridge. Bright, ain't it!

I'm going to stop - really I am...
          Attached Files

Comment

I said I was GOING to stop. I think I've stopped now, but I keep going back to guideline #4...
            Attached Files

Comment

Great fun, guideline #4 is a live and well. Duplicated, Style, orange gradient w/shadow, Exclusion. Then I don't know what happened, or how I got what I got, but I liked it. Exclusion again, then applied, filter, diffuse glow. That's about it. Thanks, Danny.

Wanda
              Attached Files

Comment

A bridge too far(out)

I checked all the entries and all well done...

I reconstructed the bridge and some idiot tries to wreck it.

tom c
                Attached Files

Comment

That is just great, Tom! I wondered when I saw that it was a GIF why you had decided to use that format. I love it!

Comment

That is just toooo cute, Tom!

Comment

Children! Children!

I'm off RP for a couple days while the site irons itself out. When I return I find You're having WAY too much FUN!

It makes my heart go pitter-patter.

~~~~~~~~~~
                      Tom:

Good thing you opened the door to animation. Cleverly done.

Perhaps, "A Bridge Way Too Far Out" is more like it.

Maybe you could craft a "Bambi meets Godzilla"-like bridge stomp on your next version.

~~~~~~~~~~

Well done gang.

~Danny~
                      Last edited by DannyRaphael; 08-04-2002, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Tom, this is just toooo cool, very ingenious Excellent pilot too Love your animations!!!

Wanda

Comment

Tom
                          Love it. Boy you sure can fly that thing. Really cool.
                          DJ

Comment

Here's mine...

I gave this mini-challenge a try. I used PhotoImpact 7 and applied one of it's built-in natural painting effects, watercolor. I then copied and pasted another copy over the image and applied an emboss effect to that. In the merge method, I used overlay, to give the image a little depth. Now for the sky, it was pretty much washed out so I used the magic wand in addition mode to select the different sky sections and converted that to an object. I made two copies of the object and filled one with a two color gradient using two shades of blue. I then merged the other one to it using the multiply mode to maintain a suggestion of the clouds in the right hand bridge arch. I applied one of Paint Engine's effects to the sky object to give it some brushed texture, then merged the sky back into the picture. At last I appled an edge mask and drop shadow. The results are what you see here.
                            Attached Files

Comment

BK - I love the last version that you posted!! I opened it and an audible "Ooooooo" came out. Very nicely done!

Jeanie

Comment

Working...
                              X