No announcement yet.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #05 - The Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lately I’ve been taking some tutorials to better my Painter 7 skills so I decided to try doing this one mostly in Painter 7.
    Here goes nothing. I was impressed with the thread on mosaics so I decided to give it a try with this image.

1. Opened the image in Painter 7 and chose File > Clone to create a clone of the original.
    2. In the color palette check Clone Color so the colors will be based on your cloned image.
    3. Under File choose Make Mosaic and in the dialog box check Use Tracing Paper to allow the image to show through the grout layer.
    4. In the grout box I chose a grey
    5. Set the width, length, and grout to the desired size and I chose a pressure of 100%
    6. I then started tracing the lines of the bridge following the flow on bricks on the bridge. I finished up with the sky and lowered my tile sizes to do the water and trees.
    7. For the trees, I used a circular motion to lay the tiles for a better effect.
    8. When the image was done I chose Render Tiles To Mask in the options list and hit done closing the Make Mosaic dialog box.
    9. Next, I went to Effects > Apply Surface Texture and under Using I chose the Mosaic Mask and adjusted the lighting effects as I desired to give the tiles a 3D look.
    10. At this point I saved the image as a JPG and opened it in Photoshop 7 along with the original.
    11. With the mosaic image active I used the move tool to drag it to the original while holding down the shift key.
    12. On the mosaic layer I changed the blend mode to Pen Light and lowered the opacity to 75%

DJ
    Attached Files

Comment

Bridge

Excellent DJ!!!

Comment

Thanks Woody,
        After seeing your work and every one elses in these mini challenges I had some tough acts to follow. I have really enjoyed these challenge entries so much. Love all the talent you guys have.
        DJ

Comment

I've got Painter 5, but I read somewhere here that this mosaic (which I was impressed with as well!) works with anything 4 and above, so NOW I'm going to have to try it, using your words here as a guide (because I don't know how to do it otherwise!)

Comment

Just beautiful, DJ Glad to see you getting in on the action!! I'm going to scrutinize your directions that's for sure. Very pretty Hey, I can use smilies

Wanda

Comment

very effective image .... mosaicaly speaking

tom c

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Blacknight,
                Painter 5 should be the same. We don't usually get much for Painter here so that's why I really tried to make some detailed instructions. I'm taking the online classes in Painter 7 because I really needed it. Tried figuring things out on my own and was missing all the hidden goodies. The course I'm taking is through VTC Online University and it's $99 for 12 Quick Time movies. It's excellent value for the money. Check it out here if you're interested. There's many other software classes available and the amount you get for the money is fantastic. Plus you can work along side the Quick Time video. They offer 3 chapters free to try out and see if you like it.

Wanda,
                It's nice to finally get back in action again. Thanks for the encouraging words. And you do smilies very well. :Lol:

Tom
                Thank you. Seeing so many of your wonderful mini art challenges really got me eager to try my own. They're really fun and a nice diversion from the basic restorations.
                DJ

Comment

Bridge#5 entry #2

After looking a DJ's fine mosiac effect, I went to PSP 7 and converted using effects/sculpture. Here's the result.
                  Attached Files

Comment

What a neat effect. It looks like it's been etched into a stucco wall.
                    DJ

Comment

This is my first attempt in the mini challenges......so be gentle on me.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Be Gentle???? Are you kidding??? That's fantastic!!! You definately know how to make color work for you in a cool way. Very creative use of bold colors.
                        DJ

Comment

Good effort for your first post Ken....looks like hooked rug or latchwork?(not sure of name)
                          tom c

Comment

Ken's Bridge#5

Great chalk media job Ken. It looks like
                            you could put it under blacklight.

Comment

Another FINE set of additions to this challenge...

WOODY:
                              #1 is killer! You're really getting the hang of the Etienne method.
                              #2 - talk about a variance in technique. From vibrant colors to subtle shades of gray. Nice job merging the textures.

-----------
                              SANDA:
                              The colors in the sky and the leaves really make this one stand out; a very effective combination of warm and cool.

-----------
                              DJ:
                              WOW! Gonna have to call start calling you Ms. Mosaic! I've fiddled with Painter's mosaic function, but haven't come remotely close to the results you're getting. Keep fine tuning this method and you'll have yet another desirable option to offer your customers.

-----------
                              KEN:
                              A belated WELCOME! to RetouchPRO. (I've been off the net for about a week.) Glad to see it didn't take you long to get into the spirit and we're honored you dove right into the fun pool.

Hope to see more of your work in the future!

-----------
                              You guys inspired me so much that I thought I'd take a swipe at this one myself. Used the action posted in
                              this thread.

Remember: It's YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS that make this forum (and this site) a success. My sincere thanks to each of you for taking the time and making the effort.

~DannyR~
                              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Danny. Hey for taking a swipe you got some cool results. I think I definately have to try that filter. It worked great on this image with all that stone work. I like how it outlines it.
                                DJ

Comment

Working...
                                X