Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #08 - Red Rock Canyon, NV

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #08

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category.

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this artform until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
    * It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques.
    * Everyone who participates is a winner.
    * There’s no expiration date.

- - - - - - - - - - -

#8 – Red Rock Caynon, Nevada

This image was taken by RetouchPro contributor, Brandee, who recently returned from a trip to Las Vegaswith her husband Jim.

As Brandee described it, "This natural beauty was located only 20 minutes from the craziness of The (Las Vegas) Strip. It was over 100 degrees on the day we visited."

I say, "Where's the ice chest? I need a cold one!"

Looks like a great photo-art opportunity to me. Thanks, Brandee, for sharing this one.

------------------

Guidelines:
    1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
    . * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
    . * Add elements from other images (collage)
    . * Wanna add animation? Go for it. (cactus growing before your eyes? Wile E. Coyote running past?)
    . * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
    . * Apply filters from your favorite application(s)
    . * Tweek it with 3rd party plug-ins

Bottom line:
    How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The funny farm is ticketoffice open for business...

Buy your ticket now and jump on the FUN train.

~DannyR~
    Attached Files

Whenever I look at clouds, or rock formations (or woodgrain, or practically anything with some sort of non-linear texture) I seem to see shapes, or faces. How many are there in this picture? The more you look, the more you see.
    Attached Files

Comment

Watch out for flying rocks, and careful where you step!
      Attached Files

Comment

Not a fan of the second one Blacknight, but your first entry is mighty impressive. Great concept and execution. Love first one

Comment

That's quite remarkable. I couldn't figure out the one in the cactus though.

Comment

Black knight
            like them both
            #1 saw two wild thing fighting .... two heads lopped off...and a big dour looking face on the cliffside...
            #2 brilliant color scheme
            tom c

Last edited by tom c; 07-28-2002, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Opened photo in Photoimpact v6
              painted out Nevada ....painted in Arizona...right over the photo.
              tom c

Attached Files

Comment

Phil:
                "Sculpture among the rocks" is just awesome. That's just a wonderful interpretation.

#2 is such a diversion from #1. The depth and width of your creatively truly inspires me.

Tom:
                I have to confess when I opened yours I waited a couple seconds for the cactus to explode or Road Runner to streak across the rock or something of that nature. I'm glad (now) "none of the above" happened. Animation would have detracted from this inspiring version. Very, very nice.

-----------
                I'm REALLY GLAD you two especially grace these mini-challenges with your works.

~Danny~

Comment

tom c -Very inspired. I will learn to do that.
                  Blacknight - how can you come up with such diverse ideas? you're a genius
                  Here's a quickie.
                  Darkened the picture. Shifted color to blue.
                  Added reflections (Action).
                  Added the Lady on the lake (from Waterhouse).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Valley through the eyes of Mescal

This is how Red Rock Canyon might look after wandering the desert and drinking nothing but mescal from a gourd picked up
                    in Tijuana. Maybe that's why the 60's were such a fun time, there was nothing to cloud the eyes.

Applied several filters and pumped up the saturation considerably on the foreground. Also applied brush strokes in varying degress to the different layers. Have another experiment that I will try tonight.

It's really fun to let the mind wonder and then create what it sees.

Earl
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Some really awesome stuff in here! We had so much fun at Red Rock, and it was impossible NOT to get a great picture anywhere I pointed my camera... I actually went to Vegas to get married at a little chapel (something I've always wanted to do), but I think our day at Red Rock was almost as great as our wedding day.

Anyway, I love looking at everything you guys do-- very inspiring wonderful to see all of the different takes. (:

Look forward to seeing more!

Comment

Red Rock island.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Gland - great idea! This is Q&D version using Flaming Pear FLOOD filter. Looks like a good spot to go fishing!
                          Attached Files

Comment

I like the mirrored look of the water with the reflection of the red rock. Nice work.

Earl

Comment

Blk kgt
                              That water scene turned out a beaut.

Angue...great looking image.
                              tom c

Comment

Working...
                              X