Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #14 - Gazing Model

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #14 - Gazing Model

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category.

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this artform until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
    * It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
    * Everyone who participates is a winner.
    * There’s no expiration date.

- - - - - - - - - - -

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #14 - Gazing Model

I thought this image had definite possibilities for a mini-challenge. 'Nuff said.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Guidelines:
    1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
    . * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
    . * Add elements from other images (collage)
    . * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
    . * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins

Bottom line:
    How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

OK. Time to put on your creativity caps...

Look forward to seeing more of your magic.

Keep having FUN in the mean time.

~DannyR~
    Attached Files

Emboss filter on background layer copy (top layer). Blend mode to PS7'S Linear Light.

Curves. levels, and hue/sat on original (bottom) layer until I liked it.

Not overly complicated but I thought it interesting.

Attached Files

Comment

First Try at Painter 7.0

Well, it's hardly an original masterpiece, but at least I finally got up the nerve to do something with my new Painter 7.0.

I painted over the photo with Painter 7.0 clone brushes, along with some regular brushes to add more pink to the flowers (most of which got cropped away to get this pic down to legal size ). I didn't like the dark gray between her and the flowers, so I brushed in some leaves with Painter's leaf pattern then painted over them with oils.

I mostly used Painter's "smeary" brushes--bristle for hair, and soft camel for face. The collar on the sweater was made with the appropriately named "furry" brush, which, in clone mode, uses the colors of the picture under the stroke. After I made the collar, the hair was covered with pink furries, so I had to paint in new hair, again in clone mode to use the color from the original hair.

After I painted it I opened it in Photoshop and gave it some fine tuning and added a bit of KPT "electrify" to soften shadows and give it a glow.

If I were to do this again, I would let some of the sweater fur overlap the hair, and I'd crop it and enlarge it FIRST, so the paint texture wouldn't get lost in the end process.

Phyllis
      Attached Files

Comment

pstewart, I really like what you did. I wish I had half your talent.

Ken

Comment

Phyllis
          If you're just starting with painter... wow! looks like you've been at it for a long time.Excellent rendition.
          tom c

Comment

Beautiful Phyllis!

Since I don't have Painter and am pretty much clueless, can you please explain what a "clone brush" is? Does it take the color under the brush and use it as you paint?

Jeanie

Comment

Originally posted by jeaniesa
              Beautiful Phyllis!

Since I don't have Painter and am pretty much clueless, can you please explain what a "clone brush" is? Does it take the color under the brush and use it as you paint?

Jeanie
              You can set it to use different sources for the paint colors, but usually you use the original picture as the source of color. As you brush over the picture the clone brushes work by 1) smearing the colors together, 2) adding impasto (texture), or 3) both. There are tons of brush styles to choose from, and, if you smear it up too badly, you simply switch to a special featureless brush that clones back that part of the picture in its original state, then do that section over.

Painter's "cloning" is a wonderful feature. It alone makes Painter worth the cost of admission in my opinion. We "non-painters" can cheat up a storm, while the real artists like Fugitive etal have that much more to work with! I highly recommend the purchase--if you have a LOT of free time to study and practice! It has so many features and variations that you can easily get lost in the maze.

Phyllis

Comment

Excellent work Phyllis. Very nice job.

Gary

Comment

Hmmm - I just might be able to do something with the Painter clone brush! That sounds really intriguing.

Unfortunately, I don't have any free time for the next month or so - much less lots of it! Perhaps someday I'll have both the funds to buy it and the time to play around with it. Seems like that clone brush might really help in cleaning up "grainy" faces photos.

Thanks, Jeanie

Comment

This consisted of two layers:
                    One for the model which I made to look like watercolor.
                    Second everything else which i hope looks like oil painting.
                    Both layers using history brush tool after converting to line art.
                    If I had to do the background over I would have eliminated poster edge filter.
                    The thick paint was achieved using lighting effects directional type, 17 texture.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Flashback to the 80's?

Jeez this picture is dated! Check the white bangle bracelet and hair bow!

Comment

Today I adjusted my method a little to give the image a little bit of a colored pencil effect. I started by duplicating layer and then selected all. Inverted and changed mode to grayscale. Then I changed blending mode to color dodge and used filter blur, gaussian blurr until I like the effect. Changed color mode back to RGB and saved it as mini-challenge charcol. Then I opened the original and selected all and copy and pasted it to my new charcol image. This time, I dragged the original below the charcol layer - and voila! I added a slight border with AutoFX to soften some of the darker areas.

Lisa
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is mine - I couldn't take the 80's thing so I updated her a little. Body parts are just pieces from different pics I found and the art part is just poster edges and some blending modes and some blur.
                          Attached Files

Comment

When I saw this beautiful lady I thought of a beautiful swan. I painted her in Painter Classic using mostly the just add water brush, a little air brush on cheeks. I had this background I scanned many blue moons ago, and thought this challenge was an opportunity to use it. I softened it alot. Selected her roughly and deleted her original bkgrnd and copy pasted her into the swan bkgrnd, cleaned up the edges w/eraser. That's it. Again thanks, Danny

Wanda
                            Attached Files

Comment

I love all three!

Lisa, I really like your colored pencil rendition! I have copied your instructions and will try it tomorrow...thanks for sharing it!

Chiquita, your "style update" is wonderful...LOL! I love it!

Wanda, that is really beautiful. I haven't tried the "add water" brush but will definitely do so after seeing your great results!

Phyllis

Comment