X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #30 – Chinese Pavilion

FIRST MINI-CHALLENGE?
    See below for "Information and Guidelines."

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next offical challenge is posted here.

- - - - - - - - - - -
    PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #30 – Chinese Pavilion

While browsing a gallery at PBASE.com I came upon this lovely photo taken by Pete Tully. Pete graciously granted permission for it to be used as the subject for a mini-challenge. I know it will be treated it as though he retains the copyright ©, which of course, he does.

It has all kinds of potential and I look forward once again to seeing the creative spins you put on it.

Good luck and have fun.

~DannyR~

- - - - - - - - - - -
    INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this artform until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
    * It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
    * Everyone who participates is a winner.
    * There’s no expiration date.

GUIDELINES:
    1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
    . * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
    . * Add elements from other images (collage) or replace the background
    . * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
    . * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins
    . * Feeling animated? A takeout delivery?
    . * Any or all of the above

Bottom line:
    How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.
    Attached Files

Dragon Breath

I don't particularly like working with architectural photos, so I tried to make it a little more organic. (Next building Danny gives us I promise to turn into an amoeba, I swear!) It's supposed to be enveloped with dragon breath.

Phyllis
    Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful, Phyllis!!

...and I can feel the heat!

Comment

Chinese ...

I tried to make this old an uninviting ... with a lot of fooling around.

Don
        Attached Files

Comment

Don, you succeeded in making it "old and uninviting." The ominous gray sky alone makes me want to go home, and that building now looks like it lacks support and is gonna crumble any minute. Reminds me of a drawing I saw once of the unfinished "Tower of Babel" aiming toward heaven but not gonna make it!

Phyllis

Comment

I tried to give this sort of a "Shangri la" feeling...or at least my impression of what Shangri-la might be like.

This was done with the Pattern Stamp, Healing Brush, and Paint Brush all set to "Dry brush on towel" and alternating between the Impressionist and normal modes. I did this on my LapTop using the touch pad which makes it somewhat like finger painting without the mess.

Jim
            Attached Files

Comment

outstanding

Very wekk done, I really like your effect, very shang rah la.

Comment

Copy background, invert.
                Copy inverted layer, Eye Candy V3 Antimatter Filter.
                Put antimatter layer under inverted layer. Blend mode to Difference.
                Blend mode on inverted layer to Color.
                Copy inverted layer, blend mode to Vivid light, and Gaussian Blur 85 pixels.
                Play with Hue/Sat on all the layers except blurred one. varying the hue.

Want MORE fun? Go to your Actions and look in the Default Actions for Gradient Map. Load some of THOSE in and watch the colors change!

Attached Files
                Last edited by Blacknight; 12-24-2002, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Jim -- very mysterious and dreamlike -- very Shangri-la.

WoW!! BK, folks could see that pagoda from the next country!

I knew that anti-matter was powerful stuff (from Star Trek ), but didn't realize it could be so beautiful!

Comment

Dupicate layer
                    sketch, then put color picture on top and made a color sketch.
                    Sharpen Edges
                    put a lighting effect(pencil) on bottom picture.
                    adjusted brightness
                    slelected white sky with majic wand put a blue and white radient the a render of clouds
                    Attached Files

Comment

Jim, ooooooo...right on! Love it!

BK...shudder...looks like the Chinese had a nuclear accident...wonder if GW Bush knows about this!

PJB, really neat effect...very creative use of filters.

Phyllis

Comment

I was rumaging around in the RetouchPRO attic, found this image and thought I'd give it a try.

Don't ask me how I did this, as it is nowhere near the result I had in mind. It just wanted to be a souvenir pin, no matter what I tried to do

Pam
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pam, that turned out great! I love the texture...looks like I can reach out and touch the leafy hedges. And the sunny yellow color really makes a difference on this (rather challenging, I thought) picture. Wonderful!

Phyllis

Comment

Phyllis,
                            Dragon Breath is a great description for your entry. You can feel the heat. Great job!

Don,
                            You achieved “old & uninviting”. It looks like a faded print and I agree with Phyllis that the ominous sky just makes you want to run for cover. Well done!

Jim,
                            Love the pattern stamp and dry brush results! Looks like you had fun.

Blacknight,
                            Chinese pavilion in black light…. love the neon colors.

PJB,
                            Nice sketch results and love the hints of color.

Pam,
                            Love the texture and you are right it does look like a souvenir pin!

Comment

Decided to play a little today....

Open image and adjusted with levels
                              Stylize - diffuse - anisotropic (to smooth image)
                              Duplicated layer - changed mode to screen
                              Duplicated layer - desaturate - fade desaturate
                              Deleted previous layer
                              New layer set to overlay
                              Stamp visible - change mode to burn
                              Desaturate - fade desaturate - emboss ( to add depth to image)
                              New layer - brush tool to create a bit of sun through the trees
                              Used airbrush to soften around image.

Done

~T
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X