X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #39 – Jazz Guitar

FIRST MINI-CHALLENGE?
    See below for "Information and Guidelines."

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next offical challenge is posted here.

- - - - - - - - - - -
    PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge# 39 – Jazz Guitar

Jack Zucker, a frequent participant in the DPReview Retouching forum, graciously granted permission to use this provocative photo. Jack, of course, retains the copyright © and unauthorized distribution or use without his permission is prohibited. Check out his personal gallery at http://www.jackzucker.com/.

Let the music begin. Good luck and have fun.

~DannyR~

- - - - - - - - - - -
    INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this artform until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
    * It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
    * Everyone who participates is a winner.
    * There’s no expiration date.

GUIDELINES:
    1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
    . * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
    . * Add elements from other images (collage) or replace the background
    . * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
    . * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins
    . * Feeling animated? Some automated strummin'?
    . * Any or all of the above

Bottom line:
    How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.
    Attached Files

Good Vibrations

I wanted to give it an old country look as well as add some vibration lines, which I did with KPT fiber optix filter.

Phyllis
    Attached Files

Comment

Phyllis:

Really like the effect of this filter. Which KPT collection does it live in?

~Danny~

Comment

Nice job, Phyllis.

Comment

I thought I would try this as an abstract. Is it abstract enough?

Jennifer
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Good Vibrations

I'm beginning to see the value of KPT filters. Nice approach.

Originally posted by pstewart
            I wanted to give it an old country look as well as add some vibration lines, which I did with KPT fiber optix filter.

Phyllis

Comment

Thought I'd just warm it up in the afternoon sun...
              Attached Files

Comment

experimenting with filters again..

- David
                Attached Files

Comment

Jennifer, you did a fantastic job on the abstract interpretation! It's "just right!" What program and what brushes and techniques did you use?

CJ, that's beautiful...rustic yet bright. Love the textures and the sun's glare on the metal! I see you also used some wavy lines...what program or filter did you use to get the lines?

Now I hate to have to report you two to Chief Raphael, but you both know we're supposed to explain at least a little about how we get our results, so FESS UP!

Phyllis

Comment

Originally posted by DannyRaphael
                    Phyllis:

Really like the effect of this filter. Which KPT collection does it live in?

~Danny~
                    It's in KPT5.

Go to www.andromeda.com and see the special package offer that I bought last week. As it says on the page:

"Andromeda Techtures, AutoFX's DreamSuite Series Two &_the entire KPT product line for_$199 (a $750 value)._You get 60 plug-ins in a once-in-a-lifetime bundle deal from Andromeda, Auto FX & Procreate."

This really is a great deal! I got KPT 3 and 5 on one CD, KPT6 on another, and KPT Effects on a third. Plus they include an overpriced Dreamsuite CD (which runs slowly and is a pain, though some of its effects are nice) and another disk of features from Andromeda which I haven't even installed yet! They are not kidding about the full price value of these, since I have shopped online for pieces of this package and the individual prices really do come to over $700!

I mainly wanted the KPT disks, since I have got so much use from my old KPT2.1 (which is no longer available).

This offer is only good for another couple of weeks, so if you want it, better order it now!

I have started a forum in Software to announce this offer to folks who might be interested.

Phyllis
                    Last edited by pstewart; 10-21-2002, 08:13 PM.

Comment

With the accent on Jazz for this challenge, I expect that most people will be taking either a "modern" or an artistic approach to this challenge.

I thought that I would try something more traditional for my effort.
                      Attached Files

Comment

WOW!! how did you do that?! it's great.

- David

Comment

I thought that I would try something more traditional for my effort.
                          -- Toad

Ummm, just what world did that tradition come from?

I think I like it. (I've got to sit down for a while to get over my initial dizzy spell)

Phyllis, thanks. I used PShop Artistic->Rough Pastels for texture, and then used the Distort->Twirl at about 50 on the masked guitar surfaces.

Comment

Oops, sorry Phyllis. The abstract interpretation was done in PS6 with the art history brush (I like the art history brush ). I used three different types:
                            Texture size 60 Dab style
                            Charcoal size ~60 Loose long style
                            Stipple size ~30 Tight medium style

I just experimented around with each one until I came up with something that I liked!

The last thing I did was change the blending mode to Luminosity set at 100% opacity.

Jennifer

Comment

Thanks David.

It was dead simple really...

- Cutout (8, 0, 3) on the original
                              - "Old World Color" action by Randall Smith.
                              - Underpainting - faded back to about 38%
                              - Filter->Render->Lens flare to create white circle at back of photo
                              - Filter->Blur->Glass (Tiny lens texture) - fade to 17%
                              - Levels to contract dynamic range
                              - Curves to taste
                              - Filter->Distort->Polar (polar to rectangular) - Difference mode - faded against original to 42%
                              - Plastic Wrap - fade to 21%

I was quite happy with it, although I think most will not like it. Thanks for the "wow".

Comment