X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #43 – Golden Gate Bridge

FIRST MINI-CHALLENGE?
    See below for "Information and Guidelines."

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next offical challenge is posted here.

- - - - - - - - - - -
    PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge# 43 – Golden Gate Bridge

This exceptional image of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California was created by Jeremy Birn. Given the fall of the San Francisco Giants in the U.S. Major League Baseball World Series tonight, there are probably a few sad folks driving across this landmark right now.

Jeremy, of course, retains the copyright © not only for the original image, but for any photo-art versions of it. Unauthorized distribution or use without his permission is prohibited. Jeremy asks that if you post the results of this mini-challenge on you own website that you include a link to the original (see below) and post credit as appropriate.

Here’s a link to the original (http://www.pbase.com/image/5917175), where some of Jeremy’s other wonderful pictures can be seen.

Jeremy, Thank you so very much for authorizing the use of your picture for this mini-challenge. It is truly outstanding.

~DannyR~

- - - - - - - - - - -
    INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this artform until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
    * It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
    * Everyone who participates is a winner.
    * There’s no expiration date.

GUIDELINES:
    1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
    . * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
    . * Add elements from other images (collage) or replace the background
    . * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
    . * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins
    . * Feeling animated? Joggers? Streakers? Moving cars?
    . * Any or all of the above

Bottom line:
    How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.
    Attached Files

This effect is in part the result of an action I created a while ago to obtain a sort of foggy effect. I did add some clouds and just basically messed around with it. When I was a student at Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara I photographed this bridge from almost the exact the same spot using a 4x5 view camera. I made one exposure at dusk and then another, long exposure, when it was dark. I guess I was trying to digitally simulate that effect here and match what I remember the other looking like. I don't think I suceeded, but this was fun working with. Thanks!

Marlene
    www.thedigitalspectrum.com
    Attached Files

Comment

I was trying to come up with an oil painting effect.

Altered the image using Equalize, Displace, and Find Edges, then created a pattern of the image. After creating a top layer filled with white, I painted the image on it using the pattern stamp and one of the "Wow" brushes set at about 25% opacity.

Jim
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey Marlene...welcome aboard! I see more familiar (faces??) from dpreview every day - I expect that is Danny's influence. The environment here is a little different, but equally rich - the challenges here are my favorite bits. The people are very nice.

Your challenge entry is pretty cool - I like the effect on the sky and the subtle modifiation of the bridge light.

Jim: excellent effort - I like this a lot! Can you tell me about the WOW package please?

Comment

Thanks, MARLENE, for breakin' the ice on this one, too. Soft colors and sky treatment make this one stand out.

- - - - - - -
          JIM: Another winner. Convincing painterly result; brush textures are excellent.

- - - - - - -
          "I left my heart... in San Francicso..." (Actually, it was my wallet...it got stolen there once.)

Comment

The San Fransisco Dream

Here's my dreamy version of it. Most of it are brushes and actions that I downloaded at Adobe Photo Exchange

First I used Walrus Fantasy Focus, then Walrus Movieposter. Then pasted the original on as a new layer with just a tad opacity(to get some of the lines sharper in the bridge).

I used "Walrus collection One" brushset for the clouds, the moon and the sailboat(I used the reflection from the boat and pasted that several times to make a moontrail in the water).
            I ran the Walrus Fantasy Focus on the other layers as well, and finished it all off(after merging the layers) with a small amount of the Fantasy Focus(it got three levels).
            Attached Files

Comment

Marlene, love the exaggerated contrast between the sharp lines of the cables and soft puffy sky...emphasizes the form beautifully.

Jim, your painting not only succeeded, but it (really) would look wonderful blown up to a 4 by 6 and hung on a wall.

Trine, love the ethereal feel of your version. The sailboat is the perfect touch.

Phyllis

Comment

Just beggin' for it!

This bridge was just begging to be twirled by KPT! This first one I call Chinatown. I added glowing edges and played around with channels and blending modes to finish it.

Phyllis
                Attached Files

Comment

Carnival!

Called this one carnival, because it reminded me of a ferris wheel at night. Did some layer blending and color adjustment, then sharpened with a high pass layer.

Phyllis
                  Attached Files

Comment

Jim, you definatly suceeded in obtaining an oil painting effect, very well done!

Trine, wow...looks like the fogs rolling in...excellent job! My only suggestion would be to have made the sailboat smaller. Proportionatly, it's too large, looks like it's going to take the bridge down, and, I find it a little distracting. Otherwise, great work with the effects, especially the clouds (fog).

Phyllis, I love the patterns you create. I'm always looking at designs to inspire me in my wood inlay projects, these are great inspirations.

This forum abounds in talent! Thankyou all for your comments regarding my submissions. They are greatly appreciated.

Marlene
                    www.thedigitalspectrum

Comment

Trine: More of your magic... Keep them coming.

Phyllis: Are you having fun with your KPT package or what? These are great!

- - - - - -

This is a classic example of accidental art...

* Background copy: Glowing Edges (1,20,3)
                      * Inverted & desaturated
                      * Duplicated Glowing Edges layer; set blend to Color Dodge.
                      * Duplicated this layer 2 more times to build up "white lines" in image
                      * Duplicated again, but set blend to Overlay
                      * Duplicated original Background, dragged to top of layer stack and set blend to Hard Light
                      * Duplicated original Background again, dragged to top of layer stack and set blend to Overlay and blurred with Median (5px)
                      * Added a Levels adjustment layer set to Screen for enhancement
                      * Flattened
                      * Duplicated remaining layer
                      * Applied blurring to selected areas

Different, anyway...

~DannyR~
                      Attached Files

Comment

Jim, outstanding

Your effect is really very good, frame it for sure. When you say you made a pattern of the image, do you mean you define the entire image as a pattern? Then you used that pattern with the pattern stamp? Thank you, Patsy

Comment

Jim, I'm not usually partial to oil paintings, but I just LOVE your version of this image!! The lighting is spectacular. Great job!

Jeanie

Comment

Jim

Never mind previous post, had some time to fool around and it is all figured out, thank you again for sharing your techniques.

Comment

I added some clouds to the sky, changed it's color a little. Then I used a star filter and framed it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X