X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #47 – Music Rose

FIRST MINI-CHALLENGE?
    See below for "Information and Guidelines."

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next offical challenge is posted here.

- - - - - - - - - - -
    PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge# 47 – Music Rose

This is another marvelous picture taken by Jack Zucker, who also took the jazz guitar picture used in Mini-challenge 39.

The devil is in the legal details: Jack retains the U.S. and international copyright © not only for the original image, but for any photo-art versions of it. Unauthorized distribution or use without her permission are prohibited.

Thanks, Jack, for letting me use this great image.

Good luck and have fun.

~DannyR~

- - - - - - - - - - -
    INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this artform until the next official challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
    * It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
    * Everyone who participates is a winner.
    * There’s no expiration date.

GUIDELINES:
    1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
    . * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
    . * Add elements from other images (collage) or replace the background
    . * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
    . * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins
    . * Feeling animated? Clamation Raisens doin’ a little toe tappin’?
    . * Any or all of the above

Bottom line:
    How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.
    Attached Files

I sent this "note" and "rose" overseas.

Marlene
    www.thedigitalspectrum.com
    Attached Files

Comment

Just colorized it, reduced saturation then picked one of the shades of the rose for background. Then chose a standard circular mask and distorted it to fit the diagonal.
      Attached Files

Comment

This is a beautiful image, and the variations of it are lovely also --

Chuck -- I really like your composite -- the toning of the sheet music, the use of the rose as another layer of vase, the idea of the "morning after" is interesting -- perhaps some thoughts running through your mind... hmmm.

Marlene - intriguing image -- makes you wonder who placed it there, and where it's headed.

Art -- I love the sepia tone effect - a nice surprise!

I decided to do another polar vase (Distort->Polar Coordinates), then masked to show some of the bloom from the duped layer beneath fitting inside the vase.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow!

Four verrrrrrry imaginative and beautifully done roses! This group gets better every day!

Chuck, your "morning after" is absolutely brilliant. And the composition and coloring work perfectly! Pat yourself on the back...since I can't reach you from here.

Marlene, very romantic image! The texture looks like a knitted pouch...with a love letter inside? Very intriguing and well done. How did you do the fabric texture?

Art, love the simple old-fashioned looking color and framing. That frame is inspired. What a great idea! Thanks for telling us how to do it...I want to remember that trick.

CJ, your vases are always gorgeous. I have tried to make them but mine never "fit" as well as yours do. Was the polar vase your own idea? In any case, I love it.

I made two very different versions. This first one is done entirely with three simple KPT filters, including the final sharpen with their "equalizer." (It's the only way to sharpen...does it in a way that you don't get haloes. It also creates misty soft focus as well.)

Phyllis
          Attached Files

Comment

This one looks sort of like a notecard I guess. I did the painting look with KPT Effects "pyramid paint" with opacity faded. The frame is made by making a dark gold frame-shaped layer at 35% opacity, then running the PS distort-->displace filter set to "tile" and "wrap around" and loading the "crackle" texture. Ran it twice, second time turned 180 degrees.

Phyllis
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow!

Four verrrrrrry imaginative and beautifully done roses! This group gets better every day!

Chuck, your "morning after" is absolutely brilliant. And the composition and coloring work perfectly! Pat yourself on the back...since I can't reach you from here.

Marlene, very romantic image! The texture looks like a knitted pouch...with a love letter inside? Very intriguing and well done. How did you do the fabric texture?

Art, love the simple old-fashioned looking color and framing. That frame is inspired. What a great idea! Thanks for telling us how to do it...I want to remember that trick.

CJ, your vases are always gorgeous. I have tried to make them but mine never "fit" as well as yours do. Was the polar vase your own idea? In any case, I love it.

I made two very different versions. This second one is done entirely with three simple KPT filters, including the final sharpen with their "equalizer." (It's the only way to sharpen...does it in a way that you don't get haloes. It also creates misty soft focus as well.)

Phyllis
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pstewart; 11-04-2002, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Phyllis, thanks -- the "polar vases" are something I first made a few years ago when I was trying to figure out what some of the filters that I never used did -- when I tried Polar coordinates, all I could get was a polar vase. I made one that I liked, and kept it; when I'm trying different effects and come to polar coord. -- it's always the first thing I think about. (I need to read up on how to use that filter someday... ) If you haven't been able to make one, you probably just haven't gone thru enough iterations -- just keeping doing it over and over until you find something you like. Now, isn't THAT a definitive explanation for the use of a specific filter!

Comment

I will try again
                  Ok!
                  Marlene you must be a young mother or a very loving grandmother, becaused you cudeled yours. very nice

Art. Yours is really nice how dod you get the curvey lines.

Chuck! you are a true romantic and thats not weird. NIce blending.

CJ yours and Phyliss's entry were awsome and Phyliss second one was great but I am lost, was the title of the third one lost in space, Ha Ha I cant pull up a picture.

Art Really delicate application, how you do the curvey lines.

Ok here is mine kind of stupid but I thought it was cute.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have been having trouble attaching files and it keeps telling me they are to large. The size is 500 x 625 pixels, i haven't had trouble till now.

Help!

Comment

Phil, "stupid" is in the mind of the beholder, when it comes to art. I agree with you this time...it's definitely "cute." And very imaginative!

Thanks for alerting me that one of my pics didn't upload correctly. I have resent it. Scroll back or click below for rosecurl:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...=&postid=35204

Phyllis

Comment

Phil - it IS cute -- I never would have thought of it.

Phyllis -- I Love the curl - the black background really sets it off, and makes the curled music sheet look silvery.

Comment

Phyliss I still cant pull it up. Maybe there is a problem with the sight.

Comment

Dream Rose

We just had an 80th Birthday party for my wifes aunt and the rose jogged a possable birthday card to my mind.

Thinking of dreams I thought of clouds.

In Photoshop 7 there is an exxtract tool so I extracted the rose and her face.

I made a same size canvas filled it with clouds and colorized it

I then dragged and dropped each item in the background, placed it and used blur tool to blend

Photoshops new text tool works better then the old one and I have 320 fonts so I selected Lucida.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Rose

Roses.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X