PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #61 – Samantha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #61 – Samantha

FIRST MINI-CHALLENGE -or- NEW TO PHOTO-ART?
    See below for "Information and Guidelines."

- - - - - - - - - - -

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #61 – Samantha

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next major challenge is posted here.

The base image can be downloaded by clicking the link near the bottom of this lengthy introduction!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

This weeks’ trio of base images are courtesy of Gladys S, whose work can be viewed HERE. This is just a darling shot of Samantha from which I know you’ll create something nice.

Thanks so much, Gladys. Really appreciate you letting me use your splendid pics this week.

~DannyR~

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

LEGAL VERBIAGE
    Gladys S retains the U.S. and international copyright © not only for the original image, but also for any photo-art versions of it. Unauthorized distribution or use of this image without permission are prohibited.

- - - - - - - - - - -
    INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES

Unlike “official challenges” for this forum, which can be found here, this one will be self-contained within this thread. It is intended as an opportunity to engage in this art form until the next major challenge is posted.

The rules are more-or-less the same:
    * It’s a challenge, not a contest -- intended to provide opportunities to experiment, share methods and/or techniques and, most importantly, have FUN.
    * Everyone who participates is a winner.
    * There’s no expiration date.

GUIDELINES:
    1. Use any method, application(s), style(s) you like:
    . * Convert to sketch, grayscale, abstract, watercolor, oil painting, pen-and-ink, Conte crayon, impasto, van Gogh or any style of your choosing
    . * Add elements from other images (collage) or replace the background
    . * Hand painting? Tracing? Freehand? You bet. Always appreciate entries of this nature.
    . * Apply filters from your favorite application(s) or tweak it with 3rd party plug-ins
    . * Feeling animated? Animated entries are definitely welcome. There have been some really funny ones submitted in the past. Fish jumping, leaves falling, wheels turning. You get the idea.
    . * Any or all of the above

Bottom line:
    How you create this masterpiece makes no difference. Whatever floats your boat as long as you follow guideline #4 in the process.

2. When done, reply to this thread and attach your work (don’t forget the 100kb size limit).

Note: Multiple entries OK if you’re so inspired.

3. By all means include some verbiage on how you achieved your masterpiece so others will benefit from your skills and experience. Make it as descriptive as you like. Grammar and spelling will not be graded. Priority given to content, not how it is written.

4. Have fun.

A special message to those who are new to Photo-art
    … Who may be feeling a little uncomfortable about posting an entry.

If you’ve read this far, it means you’re at least curious. That’s a good sign.

But what if you’re feeling a little squeamish about posting your first image?

From time to time I hear from those who want to participate, but have considerable anxieties about posting their creations in these mini-challenge. “I’m just a beginner. My pictures don’t belong,” “I see the works of others and I know I’ll never get that good,” “How am I supposed to compete with those wonderful creations?” are typical expressions of concern.

To which I say: Put your fears to rest. This isn’t a competition. You will not be judged in the traditional “art critique” sense. Your honor isn’t on the line. This isn’t about who’s best.

Don’t hold back from participating and posting your creation because your initial attempts don’t measure up (in your own mind) to images generated by folks with more experience than you.

This is a no-fault, all-fun way to jump in the pool. Everyone started the same place: The beginning. Everyone who is more skilled and experienced than you got to that point by practicing, experimenting, asking questions, learning from others, and participating.

Can one learn without interacting with others? Sure. Can one learn as fast? Absolutely not.

When you participate, others get to know you. That makes it easier to ask them questions. Asking questions leads to learning from those with more experience than you. It just keeps getting better and better!

By all means give it a go. You’ll be glad you did.

The pep talk cheerfully brought to you by:

Danny Raphael
    Photo-based Art Forum Moderator
    Attached Files

Trio Effect

To the trio of Gladys pictures, I have used the same basic effect (here) and varied the background layer color, texture and layer blend modes only.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blacknight; 12-09-2002, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Beautiful little girl! I did a watercolor layer over a Find Edges layer set to Hard Light, merged, added a layer mask and masked in some of her skin coloring plus much of the dress. Added shadows on another layer to the pillar in background and to Sam's neck.
      Attached Files

Comment

This is based on another Mike Finn action, "Textured Oils." I'm including a snapshot of the Layers palette in the next post in case anyone is interested in layer ordering and settings.

- - - - - -
        CJ: You and I were kind of going in the same direction. Great minds or what?

- - - - - -
        Chuck: Reliable is a good thing. Works well on this little darling.

- - - - - -
        Phil: Very unique result. I like the way you spice things up!
        Attached Files

Comment

Screen grab of Layers palette...
          Attached Files

Comment

Blacknight, I love what that dark glow does to her face, hair, and dress. Thanks for the location of the technique. I have copied it to my "tips" folder for when I have more time again to play.

Danny, I love the diagonal texture in yours...and the outline technique really suits this pic.

Mine is sort of a soft sketch, done with my new favorite "outline" method, which really doesn't make an outline so much as a wider shaded fading border on all the edges, like instant sketch. On the color dodge layer I use KPT gaussian glow instead of gaussian blur or other blur filters. (Remember, you can duplicate the gaussian glow with two layers...top one blurred then set to darken mode.)

Phyllis
            Attached Files

Comment

I was attempting a watercolor effect but, as usual, I'm afraid it has escaped me.

Mostly BuzzPro with some PS artistic filters added.

Jim
              Attached Files

Comment

Jim -- lovely! Soft, yet vibrant!

Danny -- Great minds, of course!

Comment

I thought so!!!

I thought this young girl would wake you all up. I thought everyone had gone away for an early Christmas. Nobody fancy the Christmas one!

Comment

Jim, maybe it escaped you, but all the better, since I love what you ended up with.

Phyllis

Comment

samantha

Samantha.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Samantha in the forest.
                        Attached Files

Comment

What a gorgeous picture!

I added a gaussian blur layer, copied several times with different blending modes (overlay, screen and soft light, if I remember correctly.) Then selected Samantha, desaturated the background and added some splatter filter.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Frank, wonderful soft look.

Blacknight, why would you put that sweet little girl in the middle of a forest! The big bad wolf could be prowling! She looks pretty and content though, matching well as if she belongs in the setting.

Ecurbh, that is a wonderful treatment...the soft focus against the starker b/w background really sets off her gentle beauty.

Phyllis

Comment

Chuck,Blacknight,CJ, Phyliss, Danny Frank anf Jim. Very nice, super, everybodys has a different flavor, wow Its amazing how many different ways we can look at one picture

Ok mine is a combination of Shan Canfields pencil drawing and colorization by Phil.
                              Attached Files

Comment