Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chipmunk
    Jayikta...
    I really like your posts of Catrina, especially the watercolor effect. Could you share how you did it? I've been lurking a while and am on the lookout for any help I can get with watercolor effects.

Thanks so much for sharing.
    Welcome, Chipmonk...

Glad you jumped in with a question. Jaykita is very generous when it comes to sharing "how to." Stand by for a response.

~Danny~

Comment

Originally posted by DannyRaphael
      Welcome, Chipmonk...

Glad you jumped in with a question. Jaykita is very generous when it comes to sharing "how to." Stand by for a response.

~Danny~
      Well, well, well. Generous, eh?? Like they say...flattery will get you everywhere.... hey, just kidding!!! Very kind of you to say this of me esp. to a newcomer. Shall do my best.

Comment

Welcome, Chipmunk

Originally posted by chipmunk
        Jayikta...
        I really like your posts of Catrina, especially the watercolor effect. Could you share how you did it? I've been lurking a while and am on the lookout for any help I can get with watercolor effects.

Thanks so much for sharing.
        Hi chipmunk, Thanks a ton for the appreciation. Danny has said such nice things about my generosity, so how can i not try to help! But its been so long since i posted those 2. Shall do my best.
        For my first creation, in ps7 -level adjustments to brighten and soften image. Then I used lighting effects for a bit of texture and oil painted look. Filter-render-lighting effects-style default, light type directional, ambience +57, ht 50. I saved and used this image to work on in painter 4. In this remarkable software, in the color palette there is a little box that says "use clone colors" - if i click on that, any brush i use turns into a lovely little clone tool!! I learnt this little trick which i'd like to share with all of you here. The more recent corel painter 8 has a clone symbol in the tools palette, isnt that right? You can well imagine, the possibilities are endless !!
        Re my 2nd creation, easier. I have used a fill layer first of all to give the original catarina a bit of color. You can color a new blank layer with low opac brushes and a variety of colors and use multiply blend. Also use levels to brighten and soften image. I did another sketch layer the usual way i.e. with color dodge and gaussian blur. Increased the blur so i got a stronger sketch. I also used this little jewel called "Oscar's watercolor filter" in photobrush as main layer. Then in painter using above method of cloning, i worked my way thro, and then used the sketch layer - darken blend.
        I'm sorry, this is as much as i can remember since it's been a while. Hope some of this will help.

Comment

Little Charmer

What a gorgeous little girl! I did so much that was experimental (for me) That I can't recall the steps correctly. However, basically....PSP8.01

Adjusted Col Bal, B & C, etc. duped the original layer.
          Smudged her hair.
          Filter/Artistic Brushes and fiddled with one of my own settings/oil paint.
          Erased this effect only to allow her face to show.
          Merged both layers.
          Face - Spent a lot of time experimenting with smudge tool (using different brushes, different sizes, different opacity etc). Also Lighten/Darken,
          Hue/Sat tools. Tools I don't normally spend enough time trying out.
          I still didn't like the Oil Paint Effect on her hair, so I smudged it to smooth once again. Decided to Buzz the final result a little too.
          Attached Files

Comment

err Painter again...

I wish! i wish! i wish i had a wacom pen and tablet!

I did the first one in Painter took it to photoshop and changed the curves, then the 2nd one i just added a smooth script to it cos i cannot work out how to get the nose straight...

Beautiful little girl she has adorable eyes...
            Attached Files

Comment

I really like your second one Legacy. The first one is good but the second one just really looks like a painting to me.

Comment

Thanks Pam

I cannot wait till i get a tablet and pen cos the mouse only gives thick paint i feel and the nose is just not right...

Comment

Unlurking

I suppose one of the reasons I've lurked so long without posting is because I don't take as good notes as everyone else does--ie, I don't always remember what I did. Anyway...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sidis; 01-28-2005, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Wonderful Sidis. I LOVE your style. And now I have to have a good laugh. hahahahah....notes.....hahahahah. What are they? Notes? Who me? Not me. I'm way to involved in the creative process to take notes. That's why I almost always use screenshots.

Keep up the good work.

Janet

Comment

This thread deserves another trip to the top...

Here's a Painter8 digital watercolor. The background was hand painted with the finer mop brush. Caterina was cloned mostly with the fine tip brush (trying a bit of Jaykita's method). I didn't like the texture I got in her skin, so I smoothed it out with the 'just-add-water' blender. I did most of the fly-away hair by hand to keep the background in tact. This started with a 2B pencil sketch outline (traced by hand) toned way down in the final result. I like painting/cloning with the pencil outline as a reference. The tracing paper function makes it too hard to see what you're doing in many cases. This one turned out good enough to frame, so I did that too.

-Mark
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SWEngineer
                        This thread deserves another trip to the top...

Here's a Painter8 digital watercolor. The background was hand painted with the finer mop brush. Caterina was cloned mostly with the fine tip brush (trying a bit of Jaykita's method). I didn't like the texture I got in her skin, so I smoothed it out with the 'just-add-water' blender. I did most of the fly-away hair by hand to keep the background in tact. This started with a 2B pencil sketch outline (traced by hand) toned way down in the final result. I like painting/cloning with the pencil outline as a reference. The tracing paper function makes it too hard to see what you're doing in many cases. This one turned out good enough to frame, so I did that too.

-Mark
                        Mark:

You sure are making GREAT strides with Painter. This one is a standout.

I know what you mean about Painter's Tracing Paper function. I prefer the flexibility of a duplicated layer which I can turn on/off and tweak opacity.

Keep 'em coming. You're getting nothing but better.

~Danny~

Comment

I was looking for a good image to practice oil painting on and found this cute little girl. I love the work that has been done on her by everyone. I used Painter and the various oil cloners and brushes. I did quite a bit of editing and color adjustments in PS before I painted, and also the texture.

Cathy

Attached Files
                          Last edited by cazubi; 10-22-2005, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cazubi
                            I was looking for a good image to practice oil painting on and found this cute little girl. I love the work that has been done on her by everyone. I used Painter and the various oil cloners and brushes. I did quite a bite on editing and color adjustments in PS before I painted, and also the texture.

Cathy

I especially like the texture work you did on this one, Cathy. Nicely done.

Comment

Thanks Danny. I have made some custom texture that are a combination of canvas and paint strokes. I also like the textures that you use. Do you make your own?

Cathy

Comment

Originally posted by cazubi
                                I also like the textures that you use. Do you make your own?
                                I haven't ventured into do-it-myself textures. I pretty much stick with ones included with Photoshop, Painter and ones Trimoon has graciously made available for download at his site, www.Trimoon.com.

I often use Painter's "Grainy Blender" brushes to which I apply a little Unsharp Mask to give the effect a little more personality. On occasion I apply the canvas effect via the Alian Skin "Splat" plugin, too.

Comment