Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #144 – Jose

Guidelines? Give 'em a rest!

Since I'm going on vacation and won't be back for a week, let's give providing the detailed steps a vacation, too. As a reward for so many fine writeups so far the how-to detail will be optional for this mini-challenge.

Still, limit your submissions to no more than two (2).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #144 – Jose

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next major challenge is posted here.

The base image can be downloaded by clicking the link below the legal verbiage.

Looks like a great opportunity to try out your best sketch or oil-painting techniques.

Danny

LEGAL VERBIAGE
    J. Pacheo retains the U.S. and international copyright © not only for the original image, but also for any photo-art versions of it. Unauthorized distribution or use of this image without permission are prohibited.
    Attached Files

Here's my sketch attempt. Can't wait to see some of those great smudger's work on this one...it's going to be great! My smudging looks more like a 4 year olds fingerpainting, so I won't even attempt it

Wouldn't you know it. I just got through reading the newest rules and regs (post with detailed instructions), and Danny lets us off this time! Oh well...here's the detailed instructions...

1 - Converted the original to a black and white image with the channel mixer and curves. The end result looked like this:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/19192586
    2 - Then did a standard sketch (dupe, invert, color dodge mode, g blur) to just bring out the lines slightly. I then opened a new layer and did a "stamp visible" (ctrl+shift+alt+E). I'll call this layer "lines".
    3 - Duped the original, b+w version and ran smart blur on it to simplify it, then ran the standard sketch method on this layer also. Painted back a bit more tones with the brush on this layer.
    4 - Placed the "lines" layer on top of this smart blur/sketch and set the blending mode to "multiply".
    5 - Used a channel mixer layer (0 red, 40 green, 60 blue) to get a b+w sketch version.
    6 - Used a color balance layer to give it a bit of color.
    7 - Used a curves layer to give it a bit more contrast and depth to the midtones.
    8 - Added a bit of film grain to give depth to the shadows.
    9 - Duped this layer, ran gaussian blur on it, then set the blend mode to "soft light" and lowered the opacity just a bit.
    10 - Another curves layer to lighten the shadows and deepen the midtones slightly.

Have a great vacation, Danny!

Pam

Comment

Oops, I guess I lost the image when I edited
      Attached Files

Comment

Danny thank you for posting ths good portrait to work.

Pam, It is a very good attempt in sketch..You oly Know how was its original output..no problem....
        thank you Pam..

here is my JOSE, .. this is also a sketch..Charcol..
        Attached Files

Comment

Another swipe at the painterly-look. I kinda like these "relaxed" rules!
          Attached Files

Comment

This man has great character in his face. This was fun to work with.

My thanks to whoever I borrowed the start from and my apologies for not giving you credit. This comes from a layers palette shot that I printed and can't find anymore. I forgot to staple the directions to the palette shot when I printed it, so who knows what it was really supposed to look like. I put the original back on top to give just a hint of color when I finished.

Update 7/20/03 I found the directions that went with the palette shot I used. I wasn't even close. The process I actually used can be found in the Try-It section under Soft Sketch http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=6505
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Cheryl H; 07-20-2003, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Danny, yours is a very supper work, and that effects never changes his charecter also.

Chery,yours is also have touch flow of creativity...

thank you danny and Chery..

This is again filters -
              Filter>Texture>Patchwork = JosUP

thank you

-------

vijayan
              Attached Files

Comment

Jose

I applied my simplifier, poster7 from Paint Engine, then applied PSP8's colored edges, using black.

Then I cut the dude out and pasted him on a black background, softened and applied an asphault texture, as it seemed to fit the face.

AmyHutton
                Attached Files

Comment

I worked on this one last week and never took it out of the "work" file. Well...for better or worse...here it is....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Jose

Hi new here . Paint Shop Pro user. But not a pro by any means. But like to see what I can come up with.
                    This one I used Buzz stack/ink/adj opacity
                    HSL adj
                    B/C adj
                    G Blurr .
                    Merge dulp
                    Black pencil
                    Enchange edge / opacity adj
                    Merge
                    Dulp / texture
                    Hope my upload works.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Jose

Liked this photo so played again but did not take notes.
                      Think i should have made the eyes stand out more.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Two Steps:
                        1) Fotomatic Pseudo-IR (available from www.cybia.co.uk)
                        2) buZZ simplifier 3

-Jeff
                        Attached Files

Comment

Corel painter8 (lighting effect and blend brush)and ps7 plugin vp watercolor.
                          Attached Files

Comment

One more by me.
                            Added a threshold layer, overlay blend, opac47, also a render-clouds layer, overlay, and one ps drybrush, before merging and applying virtual p, oil, and buzz stack oil (without color edges and simplifier1). Added color to backgr.
                            Attached Files

Comment

What an interesting thread once again....! Really enjoyable.

Duped background layer.
                              L2 - Soft Focus
                              PSP Brushstrokes/Water Colour - Mode Normal - 78%
                              Duped L2
                              L3 - Overlay Mode 60%
                              Merged all and placed into
                              larger image with white bg.
                              Erased to get rid of hard edges.
                              Merged.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...