Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #146 – Burlington Northern Santa Fe

Guidelines? Give 'em a rest!

Since I'm going on vacation and won't be back for a week, let's give providing the detailed steps a vacation, too. As a reward for so many fine writeups so far the how-to detail will be optional for this mini-challenge.

Still, limit your submissions to no more than two (2).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #146 – Diesel train: Burlington Northern Santa Fe

Here’s another “mini-challenge” to play with in the Photo-based Art category until the next major challenge is posted here.

The base image can be downloaded by clicking the link below the legal verbiage.

I've always liked trains. When I was considerably younger, I wanted to be a railroad engineer. Somewhere along the line reality set in.

Anyway we did a steam engine recently, so I decided to go for a modern day diesel this time.

A little merger trivia: BNSF stands for Burlington Northern Santa Fe, the result of a fairly recent merger of railroad giants BN and the Atchison, Topika and Santa Fe railroads.

Burlington Northern came about several years ago when four railroads merged: Chicago, Burlington and Quincy (CB&Q), Great Northern, Northern Pacific and Spokane, Portland and Seattle (SP&S) Railway.

Whew. All aboard!

Danny

LEGAL VERBIAGE
    Dario retains the U.S. and international copyright © not only for the original image, but also for any photo-art versions of it. Unauthorized distribution or use of this image without permission are prohibited.
    Attached Files

Base image created with the action that can be downloaded HERE.

Once the action completed the layer setup I did quite a bit of layer mask tweaking to hide some extraneous line detail (layers D, E) and to adjust hue and saturation (layer G).

Added a new layer to the top of the layer stack (Normal, 100%). Sampled colors from the original image and using a chalk brush, painted them on this layer to restore areas that got washed out

Added a copy of the Background to the top of the layer stack, set blend to luminosity, Layers > Add Layer Mask > Hide All and airbrushed white on the layer mask to restore some detail.

Attached Files
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-17-2003, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Danny--that action is a winner on this one. It looks great!

Don--This is interesting. I think I would have liked it even better if the pale gray patches had either been darker or a different color--they pulled my eye away from the rest (which is cool) too much.

I started with the 4th tutorial found here http://www.dynamicdesign.biz/gallery/gallery16.htm
      and then added a flaming pear lacquer layer with reduced opacity in pin light blending mode. Topped with a texture.
      Attached Files

Comment

A Ripple Train..
        Many selections..Levels..invert..
        Filter > Distort > Ripple = Ripple Train....

thank you.

vijayan
        Attached Files

Comment

I really like trains.

Working on a new oil technique (still involves Impressionist and Paint Engine with some twists). Hope you like the result.
          Attached Files

Comment

lkroll,
            sure we do! you really like Impressionist, huh?

just one 'word' about my version: ziiiuuummmmm...!
            Attached Files

Comment

I did what? Damn don't recall
              Attached Files

Comment

Ikroll, I like your new oil painting technique. Hope you can tell us more as you work it out.
                Alan

Comment

The main trick.

Glad you liked the outcome Alan. Here is what I have up to now. After I have the rendering like I like it, I have to oilify it. The trick is to duplicate the layer and run PS's Chrome filter. I then run Impressionist Hot Swirl (am still decided what actual Impressionist setting gets the best result, but Hot Swirl will work for me now). I set this layer to Overlay, adjusting the opacity to taste and flatten. Afterwards (and here is what I'm still trying to perfect) is the canvas. Right Now I duplicate the layer and run Impressionist Cross Hatch-Silver on the top layer. Save the PSD file and open it up in GIMP. I adjust the transparancy of the top layer and on the base layer run GIMP's Bump Map filter. It actually takes on the characteristics of the texture of the top layer (don't ask me why; taking advantage of this feature). I then delete the top layer and am done (well, maybe I will do some Hue/Saturation adjustments too). I'm still not happy with the canvas step (what I'm working on), but the train came out pretty good this time.

Comment

And now for something just a little different.

Good? Well that's up for interpretation.

Steve
                    Attached Files

Comment

thana,

not real crazy about pink trains. probably a male thing but i love the blurred edges. gives it a real in motion look!

Craig

Comment

thanks Craig

oh, right: pink for girls, blue for boys... i'll try to remeber next time i play with trains... :]

Comment

Re: PHOTO ART: Mini-challenge #146 – Burlington Northern Santa Fe

Time to get the trains a rolling again ! ! !

Palms
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm new to this site, but thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. Let me know what you think.

Ben

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...bnsfedited.jpg

Comment

Welcome to RTP Ben, alias bsphotog. You have quite a nice version of the train.

We hope to see more of your works.

Janet

Comment