Tutorial: Pastel Like Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial: Pastel Like Effect

I was fooling around with the sketch technique and fell upon this. I'm still refining it, but I think it has potential.

The first thing I did was duplicate my image. With the duplicated image selected I chose to Select-All, then Image-Adjust-Invert. Following the method of Sketch technique I then chose Image-Mode-Grayscale and chose not to flatten image. Then I changed the blend mode to Color Dodge. This made the image disappear. I then went to Filter-Blur-Gaussian Blur. Adjusted only so I could see outlines and a bit of shadow. This is where the experiment began. I then changed the Mode back to RGB chosing not to flatten. I then opened a copy of the the original (RGB) image and copy and pasted it in the new image I was working on. I dragged the layer below the sketch layer. Changed the blending mode to color and moved the opacity slider over until I got a slight hint of color. After that - I just fooled around with variations as I thought the skintone was a bit yellow.

What do you think?

Lisa
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 11-10-2002, 10:15 PM.

Oh I love that, Lisa...! If you guys all keep coming up with these nifty new things to play with, I am never going to get any REAL work done!

Comment

Subtle Tweek Possiblity?

Lisa:

Sure like the way you're going 'great guns' in this forum with examples and detailed techniques. Now that I'm back from my mini-vacation, can't wait to try some of these.

Slight improvement possibility?
      I've noticed a minor side effect of the apply-a-Gaussian-blur-on-the-color-dodge-layer method is the tendency for it to create a halo/shadow-like effect between some edges and a lighter background.

The attachment illustrates the subtle difference a little (not very carefully done, but you get the idea) cloning onto a separate layer can make. Compare the shoulder/fence relationship on L side of the image vs. the R side.

Of course if there actually was a 'natural shadow' in the original image, you can completely ignore this advice!

~DannyR~
      Attached Files

Comment

Lisa, I like this a lot! Thanks for sharing your "accidental" technique with us!

Danny, I know what you're saying about the shadow/halo, but in this particular image, I think having it there adds some depth. In other images though, I agree that it looks out of place. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jeanie

Comment

I agree with Jeanie,

I kind of like the shadow in this case. However, I'm beginning to find that this technique only works on certain photos. It's a bit of experimenting. I have a picture of a dog that the shadow is too much - your method works well on this one. I'll post the results when finished. The full res of my daughter is incredible.

Lisa

Comment

I know I said dog ... but here's a cat first. This one has way too much of a shadow. I will post this and then Danny's method next.

Lisa
            Attached Files

Comment

J & L... Good points.

I should have clarified in previous post that I'm OK with shadows (intended or accidental) as long as they are consistent and look natural throughout an image. In this case I agree that the filter induced shadow adds depth. I'm almost totally OK with it, except...

To pick fly-specs out of pepper and assuming we're talking about a naturally lighted subject vs. an artificial lighting setup... it seems if there are shadows behind her shoulders, then there should be some shadows behind her head, too.

It's just a nit and no biggie. I think we're all in conceptual / artistic agreement here, and we're definitely unanimous on how gorgeious your daughter is, Lisa!

~DannyR~

Comment

Quick question Danny,

What do you mean about cloning on a seperate layer and at what step would you use this?

Lisa

Comment

After tweeking the blends and doing any other fine tuning -- the point where I'm satisfied with the image except for the shadows, I'd do a "merge visible w/o collapsing the individual layers" via:

ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+E

Then I'd create a new layer on the top of the stack (call it "Fixit"), select the clone tool and an appropriate brush. Set clone option to "use all layers" then start cloning over the undesirable shadow areas onto the Fixit layer. If necessary, create a layer mask on the Fixit layer to blend with the base layer below.

An alternative to cloning (if the situation warrents), make selections of "nearby" non-shadowed areas, make copies onto separate layer(s) above the base layer, CTRL+click (to select the copied object on the new layer) and use the move tool to position it above the offending shadow. Then use layer masks to blend with the base layer below.

Creating a separate Fixit layer ensures I can erase or modify the cloned (or duplicated areas) w/o mucking up the base layer.

When happy, I'll do a merge down and move on.

Does this make sense? (It's getting late.)

~Danny~

Comment

It makes perfect sense. The moment I read it, I said "OH" now I get it.

The other idea might simply be to select the shadow and use the brush strokes filter and either chose cross hatch or angled strokes - that way it looks like a sketch. Just a thought.

Lisa

Comment

Oh Cool!!

"merge visible w/o collapsing the individual layers" via:

ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+E

For the Mac that is:

CMD+OPTION+SHIFT+E

I didn't know that was an option, but NOW I do. How handy!!!!!

Thanks!

Comment

OK - here's the same kitty with the shadow reduced using Danny's method. Next time, I won't try fur when trying to clone near an edge - lol.

Lisa
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here's another picture of my daughter. This time I used Vikki's Fantastic Machine Paint Engine with her settings.

Lisa
                          Attached Files

Comment

Lisa that pastel of your daughter is fantastic, it is a really nice effect, I will have to have a go a something myself.

And danny thanks for the short cut I will be using that alot.

Comment

RE: ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+E
                              Thought I died and went to heaven when I discovered that little hummer. Glad others think it might be useful, too.

=========

Vikki:
                              Guess I'm gonna have to transfer Paint Engine from my "overflow plugin folder" back into my active plugin folder.

With a little coaching and practice, it looks like it can generate some very natural looking artistic effects. Appreciate you sharing your techniques, settings and results in various posts. Gives the rest of us a high standard to shoot for.

=========
                              Lisa...
                              Don't you love "experimenting" on favorite pics of your kids? Me too. You and Vikki have inspired me already this morning and it's barely 9:00 a.m.!

RE: Cats and shadows
                              Yeah. You picked out a tough one to "clone out the Gaussian blur halo." One of the luxuries of photo-based art is usually having a lot of irregular texture that can be used as clone source close to areas you want to touch-up.

In the case of your kitty (I have two: "Duck" [it's a long story] and "Grateful" [not quite as long a story]), I thought the touched-up halo version left behnd natural shadows that distracted me from the main subject.

In retrospect maybe these aren't shadows. Maybe this is a reflection on your spotless, just-waxed kitchen floor? I'll pretend it's carpet. No matter. In this sketchy mode, it was still a little distracting to me.

Here's my .02 on how I'd approach this one.

The gory details follow for those who are interested...

~DannyR~

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

1. BG layer: Copy ("Background copy")
                              1a. Using Quick Mask and a hard brush (about 25 pixels I believe), I drew a selection around kitty's paws and tummy... trying to captured a little bit of carpet and a little bit of fur along the way.
                              2. Exit Quick Mask and saved the selection (SELECT/SAVE SELECTION...) as "Kitty shadow."
                              3. "Background copy": Created a new layer ("Kitty edge") based on the "Kitty shadow" selection (LAYER/NEW LAYER... via CUT).
                              4. Created a new layer ("Clone carpet") above "Background copy".
                              5. Turned off "Kitty edge" and, using various places on "Background copy," cloned areas from the non-shadowed carpet in place of the shadowed areas onto "Clone carpet."
                              6. Applied a layer mask to "Clone carpet" and airbrushed with black and white as needed to blend the layers.
                              7. Combined "Clone carpet" and "Background copy" via Merge Down command.
                              7a. Turn on "Kitty edge" layer.
                              8. Above "Background copy," created a new layer "New shadow."
                              9. SELECT/LOAD SELECTION... "Kitty shadow."
                              10. Filled selection with black.
                              11. Lowered opacity to about 30% or so.
                              12. CTRL+Click on "New shadow" layer and used move tool to drag 'shadow' to the right and slightly down.
                              13. "New shadow": Create a layer mask.
                              14. Airbrush using white and black on the layer mask to blend the shadow onto the carpet and erase the obviously misplaced shadows.
                              15. Tweek "New shadow" opacity and touchup layer mask until slight shadow looks semi-normal.
                              16. Merge visible.

In an attempt to restore some texture that was lost during the cloning process and needed for the new 'shadow,'...

17. Top of stack... new layer ("Texture restore").
                              18. Fill with 50% gray.
                              19. Apply TEXTURIZER filter (canvas,200%, relief=4,top right) and set blend mode to Overlay. Adjusted opacity a little.
                              20. Created a layer mask inverted it (CTRL+I) so it looks black (and hides the texturing). With airbrush set to about 35% and a soft brush, painted "white" on the layer mask on the carpeted areas, to give the illusion of uniform texture.
                              21. Merge visible again...

More cat... less shadow.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X