Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Akvis Sketch 9 - Thoughts, vs. 8, examples, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akvis Sketch 9 - Thoughts, vs. 8, examples, etc.

What do you think about Version 9?

Re: REVIEW: Akvis Sketch plugin

Originally posted by Estrella View Post
    Hi Estrella,

Funny you should ask...

I tried to install it yesterday, but ran into a snag. I am working with Akvis tech support to sort it out. (My self-inflicted problem, not theirs.) I'll report back when I've got it working -- hopefully in just a few days.

A nice 9.0 feature is its ability to use custom sketch presets defined in earlier versions, plus the ability (now) to export/import presets created under 9.0. This will encourage sharing of custom presets among 9.0 (and later) users -- a very cool thing IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Estrella View Post
      Interesting. I guess I'm subscribed to this thread.

Anyway, I just gave version 9 a quick test. It is the best so far. The algorithm is better, and you can use the old one if you want. The supplied presets are helpful for quickly finding a ballpark.

Comment

So Danny...what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by DannyRaphael View Post
          A nice 9.0 feature is its ability to use custom sketch presets defined in earlier versions, plus the ability (now) to export/import presets created under 9.0. This will encourage sharing of custom presets among 9.0 (and later) users -- a very cool thing IMO.
          Hello Danny!
          Thank you for your good opinion!

I just want to add that you can now export even the presets made in the old version of AKVIS Sketch!

Just select the option "Use old Sketch algorithm" (in the program preferences), and use the button Export presets at the top menu to save these old presets into a file.

If you have questions please feel free to ask us.

Regards,
          Kat

Comment

P.S. then you will be able to load these presets,
            but into version 9 and later, the earlier versions can not import the presets files.

But the feature is helpful anyway, you can share your old presets.

Comment

Got around the bug... Had to temporarily turn off internet/anti-virus pgm during one-time Internet licence validation. Now it works just fine.

Originally posted by skydog View Post
              So Danny...what do you think?
              I agree with Andrew's assessment.

In 2 words: VERY impressive.

Download/install 9.0 and see for yourself. No need to uninstall prior version.

Comment

Danny...pls show some comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by skydog View Post
                  Danny...pls show some comparisons.
                  I will do a 8 vs 9 soon; it will probably next week before I get to it.

In the mean time here are a couple samples of Akvis Sketch 9.0 applied to a low and high resolution image:
                  * 100 ppi (bridge)
                  * 300 ppi (Ali)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DannyRaphael; 09-03-2009, 07:44 PM. Reason: fix a couple typos

Comment

Originally posted by DannyRaphael View Post
                    In 2 words: VERY impressive.
                    Given a good candidate photo, I think the new algorithm is capable of making a much cleaner sketch.

Also, I'm not sure which was the last version I tested, so I don't know if that quick sampling preview was there before. But it is extremely helpful. One way it might be improved is if moving the small preview area didn't make the first preview area revert to original. That way the user could hit a few key spots and really get a good view of what's going to happen.

With regard to presets, I found B&W sketch and High Charcoal to be helpful. I found that doing both, and then blending them on layers in Photoshop worked out well.

Anyway, I've been so ill for so many years now I'm lucky to even be able to do this brief work yesterday. I wish I could test more.
                    Last edited by Andrew B.; 09-03-2009, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Here are a couple of examples done with Version 9. Source photos are from stock.xchng

Keep in mind that these are raw results. I did not additional work in Photoshop.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andrew,
                        Very nice results!

Comment

I like the improvement in the color pencil feature.

The original photo turned out kind of blurry but there was enough detail to get a nice sketch out of it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

If I down load the new version will it mess up the old version if I decide not to purchase?

I agree with you Steve. I realize these guys need to make some profit for their efforts, but the discount should be greater.

I'm still have issues with there 10 day evaluation policy and this is not the norm...most companies provide 30 day evaluation.

A good customer model at the moment is Topaz...great products, great prices, great support...my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew B. View Post
                              FWIW, you can win a free copy of Akvis Sketch. The contest ends Sept. 13, 2009.

Yes, it is a Lottery, and you have a change to win Business license of AKVIS Sketch (plugin + standalone)

Comment

Working...
                              X