No announcement yet.

Impressionist plugin: 64 bit version?

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Alcar
    Impressionist plugin Windows 7 compatibility
    by Alcar
    I'm thinking of buying a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit installed. I'm wondering about the compatibility of Photoshop CS2 and the Impressionist Plugin with thiis version? Thanks, Alan
    10-27-2009, 01:26 PM
  • oyster
    Impressionist Plug-in: which Front Page?
    by oyster
    There are many FP apps on ebay today; however, my only interest in the program is the Impressionist plug-in, present in some versions, absent in others. One can't tell from the ebay descriptions which has the plug-in, but I understand FP 98 was *exclusively* stand-alone, and thus can be expected to...
    03-27-2005, 07:50 AM
  • henrys
    Smoothing plugin
    by henrys
    Hi, I'm upgrading my system from an older mac running 32 bit CS4 to a newer intel system running CS5. I've been using kodak gem airbrush for smoothing areas for retouch, which works on the entire image, not just the face/skin. I would like a similar filter for 64 bit CS5. I have tried portraiture and...
    07-06-2011, 09:12 AM
  • i.ilievski
    Transparency plugin
    by i.ilievski
    HI... I'm using transparency plugin (eliminate white and eliminate black) very often in PS 7.. But few day's ago I upgraded to CS2, and those plugins don't work at all, they don't even show in the plugin list...

Does anyone have some info on this, or maybe there is new version of those...
    09-25-2006, 08:03 AM
  • Doug Nelson
    64bit plugin similar to Cybia AlphaWorks
    by Doug Nelson
    Does anyone know of a plugin that will work with Photoshop CC 64bit with similar functionality to Cybia AlphaWorks?

It was the easiest and cleanest way I'd found to drop white or drop black. I know there are actions for just that, but it could drop ANY color, which came in handy at t...
    05-11-2015, 09:49 AM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressionist plugin: 64 bit version?

Does a 64-bit version of the Impressionist plugin exist?

If not is there some way to use this plugin under Windows 7?
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-22-2012, 11:57 AM. Reason: clarify question

Re: Impressionist plugin: Custom styles (member po

Impressionist is a very old 8bf by Microsoft and it will more then likely never get updated (believe it originally shiped with Office 2000 Pro and was never re-distributed with later versions of Office). You could use a surrogate 32-bit program like Irfanview or run PS 32-bit to use this plugin; an inconvenience no doubt. Still, it does a few things that are quite unique and I still use it from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by lkroll View Post
      Impressionist is a very old 8bf by Microsoft and it will more then likely never get updated (believe it originally shiped with Office 2000 Pro and was never re-distributed with later versions of Office). You could use a surrogate 32-bit program like Irfanview or run PS 32-bit to use this plugin; an inconvenience no doubt. Still, it does a few things that are quite unique and I still use it from time to time.
      Hard to believe it's been 15 years.

The Impressionist plugin originally shipped as a part of a program called Image Composer 1.0 that was included with FrontPage 97 and subsequently with Image Composer 1.5 under FrontPage 98 and FrontPage 2000. Its functionality was integrated into MS PhotoDraw 2000.

As Lyle stated it is highly unlikely this plugin will ever be updated and that 32-bit surrogate editors can potentially be a host.

I've read it works, but have yet to try it, under 32-bit Photoshop (or other 32-bit version of applications like Corel Painter, Paintshop Pro, etc.) running under a 64-bit Windows OS, e.g., XP/64, Vista/64 or Win 7/64.

Comment

Had no idea it's been around even earlier then 2000 Danny. lol

Amazing the folk that created this cool plugin and still how powerful it is for certain types of renders. Anyway, I use Win7 64-bit and Impressionist did work with CS2 (only had 32-bit version of PS then). Since I upgraded to CS5 a year ago, I've not tried it in CS5 32-bit but I bet it will still work there; it won't work in CS5 64-bit though from what I've read (but again I've not tried; only use PS for RAW processing. I use Impressionist inside GIMP, which, as you know, is my main crutch).

As a side note, I personally know that Impressionist will work in Irfanview and Virtual Studio.

http://www.irfanview.com/

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/virtualStudio.asp

Comment

Re: Impressionist plugin: 64 bit version?

The Impressionist Plug In will work on all Versions of Adobe Photoshop, that is Photoshop 7 to CS5 32 bit versions. I have not tested it on CS6 32 bit, as I did not upgrade to CS6, as I believe there are some issues with CS6 so far.

Comment

It works fine in CS6 32-bit
            I've noticed the problems with ALCE2, xtraSens Retina 2, some panels, and Pixel Bender for sure cause it's no more supported.
            But it's another story

btw, can someone supply TIF files WATR1A.TIF for Alcar vc Watercolor styles
            Many thanks in advance

Comment

Forgot about this thread. Just wanted to say that Impressionist works in GIMP 2.8 64-bit as well. Photoshop should have made their old plugins work in the 64-bit version of PS as well and should have mud in their eye since Impressionist at least still works in 64-bit GIMP as well all near all 32-bit GIMp plugins since they decided to add a backwards compatibility feature for 32-bit GIMP plugins. lol

Yea; I tout GIMP's abilities too much. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chance_1 View Post
                The Impressionist Plug In will work on all Versions of Adobe Photoshop, that is Photoshop 7 to CS5 32 bit versions. I have not tested it on CS6 32 bit, as I did not upgrade to CS6, as I believe there are some issues with CS6 so far.
                I can confirm Impressionist works under CS6 32 bit under Windows 7 (64).

Comment

SZStudio...send me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you WATR1A.TIF file.
                  Alan

Comment

Thank you! I found the file under brush folder
                    Thank you DannyRaphael and Alcar for the quick reply!

Comment

Hi friends, my first post...
                      I tried to run Impressionist under CS5 (32 & 64) Win7 and no luck. I targeted the 'additional plug in folder' on the Photoshop preferences to the its defalt plug ins folder. Restarted CS5 and no luck again.
                      Retargeted that preference option using CS3 to another folder, restarted PS CS3, retarget again back to plugin folder and it worked fine.
                      But it keeps loosing the reference folder every time I restart the computer. Maybe it is an issue between Vista and Impressionista?
                      P.S.: all the folders were renamed as posted here.

Thank you! All the best!

Comment

Hello Andrey...

Welcome to RetouchPro. Sorry you are having problems with Impressionist.

I'm running PS CS6 (32 and 64) under Win 7 (64). Here's what worked for me. I put the \Impressionist folder (containing all the other Impressionist folders and files) here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Plug-ins

... and it works fine under CS6 (32) under Win 7 (64).

Perhaps try this method and see if it helps.

If not, please provide more information regarding you situation. Does "no luck" mean you are getting some sort of error message? Can you even see Impressionist listed as an option in Photoshop's Filter menu? The more detail, the better.

Good luck. Keep us posted on progress.

Comment

Hello Danny!

Thank you for your reply.
                          I tried this method on (Win7) CS5 32 & 64 and it is not even listed in the Filter menu. I target the aditional plug-ins folder under the preferences and it is still not listed.

When I try CS3 (32) Win7, Impressionist is listed but no presets are listed. Just that famous "Charcoal" mentioned on an earlier post.

Then I retarget the aditional plug-ins folder preferences twice and back to \adobe\PS CS3\plugins And it works perfectly with all presets.

Do you think it may be a conflict on preference folders detection? My computer is a Desktop Win7 with Adobe Master Colections CS3 and CS5. Should I uninstall CS3?

Thank you all!

Comment

It sounds like you perhaps have the Impressionist plugin file (.8bf) and the support folders/files (\brushes, \papers, etc.) installed in multiple locations, perhaps as a result of trying to make it work "somewhere."

I would suggest the following:
                            * Use the Win 7 search function to FIND all instances of the Impressionist plugin file (.8bf) and all the support folders/files.
                            * Copy (Drag/drop) ALL these folders and files out of the "additional plugins" folder and \adobe\PS CS3\plugins somewhere else... such as a new folder on your desktop.
                            * Then delete all Impressionist files and folders from "additional plugins" folder and \adobe\PS CS3\plugins.

Create a new folder \FIX IMPRESSIONIST inside \adobe\PS CS3\plugins

I am assuming you have the .zip that contains all the Impressionist folders and files. If not, get it here:
                            http://asnailpace.com/blog/impressionist-plug-in/

Then install Impressionist and all its support folders/files into \FIX IMPRESSIONIST

Once we get it working again under CS3, we'll go onto CS5.

Comment

Hi Danny!
                              It is workin fine now!
                              There were instances inside Programfile\Adobe\CS3\plugins , Adobe\CS5 & Programfiles(86)\Adobe\CS3 & CS5
                              I left only one instance inside CS3(32) plug in folder and it is working fine. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                              X