Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial (link): Smudging (Trimoon)

Smudging

Is this a better way to explain how I do what I do? Let me know.
    Steve

This is great Steve. Thanks! I think what I've been missing is the softening the edges before sharpening. I've gotten a lot of "halos" with the sharpening - then I usually soften after I sharpen. (Kinda defeats the purpuse, huh?)

Jeanie

Comment

Steve,

One problem I've been running into is how to handle the stamens of flowers. For example, in Azalea No 2 on your site. Did you actually stroke over those, or just leave them alone and add the background "cloud layer" over them?

And while I'm asking questions, is your image Azalea done with the same smudge technique? It looks like a completely different style to me - like a watercolor. I love it! Have you shared that technique with us and I missed it somewhere?

BTW, I just love the images on your site. I've been going there lots lately for inspiration!

Jeanie

Comment

Steve,

I think your instructions are very clear. The only pause I had was when I got to the part about the papers. At first I was not sure why these were there. Then I noticed the word "download" and figured these were extras we might want to use.

I should also mention that your movie file about adding the presets, and your web instructions about backgrounds are super clear.

I think something I would enjoy seeing, though, is a movie file of you actually working with the smudge tools, and also you creating backgrounds -- seeing how you vary size, opacity, and generally approach the process.

Comment

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your tutorial! And a huge thank you for sharing you textures with us.

Tyeise

Comment

Duh - I found a reference to your watercolor technique here Steve. I figured out I had seen it somewhere when I stumbled upon your watercolor presets in my brush tool presets. As soon as I tried the brush, I realized what it was!

I'm still not quite sure how to use it though. I'll try to play with it a little and see what I come up with.

Oh, and BTW Steve, has anyone told you lately how wonderful you are? Thanks again for sharing so much with us here at RetouchPro!!

Jeanie

Comment

YES STEVE,

You are wonderful. And thanks this mini-tutoral is more clear. Art is not natural for me and this helps it become more clear. I have noticed your brushes are in the *.tpl format and the brushes requested by PS7 are *.abr format. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Follow this Link for help on loading tool presets

How to load a tool preset

Comment

Duhh, I was trying to load brushes. Thanks sooo much. As part of your occupation you should list teacher.

Thanks again;

Comment

Seminar in the works

Steve,

I know not too long ago you mentioned that you were thinking about putting together a seminar to teach others, any more thinking along those lines? You know I'd be the first one there!

Ozzie

P.S. You know I'm PS challenged but I might give this a try this weekend, looks like a foolproof tut.

Comment

CD tutorials

You ought to check out Karen Sperlings Artistry on Line, she does tutorials on CD's and does quite a nice little business with that, yours are equally if not better and for sure I would be first in line to buy.
                      I know it is great that you share so freely of your talent and information but it would be nice to be compensated in a small way for what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by jeaniesa
                        I've gotten a lot of "halos" with the sharpening - then I usually soften after I sharpen. (Kinda defeats the purpuse, huh?)
                        A good way to avoid haloes when sharpening is to fade the unsharp mask filter to either darken or lighten. You can do one of each and combine the layers. You won't have the haloes you get when it's all done on "normal" in one step. I read this somewhere in a web tutorial (sorry, author, but I honestly can't recall where), and it works!

Phyllis

Comment

Thanks Phyllis. I'll try that!

Jeanie

Comment

Working...
                          X