Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial (link): Line Art Watercolor, Smart Blur Edge Only -

http://www.dwphotoshop.com/photoshop...watercolor.php

courtesy of www.DevelopingWebs.net. Interesting site to poke around.

- - - - - - -

This is a basic photo-art technique that comes in handy quite often. Works especially well on images with lots of straight lines, e.g., tall buildings with a lot of windows, railroad tracks, picket fences, etc. It doesn't work nearly as well on "busy" images such as bushes, trees or skin areas, especially faces.

- - - - - - -

Between steps 3 and 4 I usually apply Stylize > Diffuse > Anisotropic to soften the edges a bit, followed by Edit > Diffuse to adjust the degree of softening.

Optionally at this point a little Unsharp Mask and/or Image > Adjustments > Levels can be used to give the lines a little more character.

Depending on the image, sometimes blend mode Darken works in step 4. If you take this route, you may find it useful to Layer > Add Adjustment Layer > Hue/Saturation (click the Group with Previous box). The Lightness setting can be used to lower the intensity of the lines if they are too dark.

Have fun...
    ~Danny~

Related Topics

Collapse

• T Paul
    Paint-by-Number
    by T Paul
    I’ve seen a couple advertisements for personalized paint-by-number kits where you send them a photo and they turn it into a paint-by-number painting for you. I know this can be accomplished in PhotoShop. In fact there are several ways. How would you go about it?

~T

04-24-2004, 11:56 AM
  • DannyRaphael
    Tutorial 01: Line Drawings using Smart Blur / Find Edges
    by DannyRaphael
    This is the first mini-tutorial in a new series intended to illustrate basic photo-art techniques to those relatively new to "photo-art."

Assumptions:
    * You're using Adobe Photoshop as your image editor. In some cases the steps will work as written for Photoshop Elements,...
    Photoshop experience: A lot
    17.14%
    Photoshop experience: Moderate
    28.57%
    Photoshop experience: Fairly new
    8.57%
    Very useful
    38.57%
    Useful
    4.29%
    Slightly useful and/or somewhat confusing
    2.86%
    Not useful and/or really confusing
    0.00%
    11-12-2002, 12:17 PM
  • DannyRaphael
    TRY-IT: Colored Lines via Smart Blur Find Edges
    by DannyRaphael
    A common technique to generate a line drawing is:

1. Duplicate Background

2. Blur > Smart Blur > Edges Only (renders white lines on black background)

3. Image > Adjustments > Invert (CTRL + I)

Photoshop 7 users can take it a step...
    09-15-2003, 04:49 AM
  • Adrian_K
    First attempt at 'art' - porcelain
    by Adrian_K
    hi all,
    I think I've exaggerated this version too much, but there's a couple more version in my gallery.
    And I'm also not happy with the edges. I've tried all sort of things, with smart blur it just ends up a bit blocky - find edges doesn't give the control. Any more suggestions?...
    06-02-2004, 07:22 AM
  • jrolinc
    Tutorial (link): Pen and Ink (Gregory Georges)
    by jrolinc
    Link to tutorial: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...w_page_9.shtml

- - - - -

Hi

I know I've seen this technique and actually had some time to take some of my pics (which, in this case, weren't all that great as photographs), and played around...
    02-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Working...
X