Try it: Playing with the history brush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try it: Playing with the history brush

Important: You will be painting with the active snapshot. If you have made any modifications, you need to create a new snapshot and make it active. (lazy way--flatten and create a new document). A newly opened document automatically has itself as a snapshot.

1. Duplicate background layer.
    2. Create a black and white sketch using any method you want. (I like to modify some of the buzz stacks or use a gaussian blur sketch--other methods also work well).
    3. Adjust brightness and contrast if needed. The image should be black and white rather than shades of gray.
    4. Using the magic wand select the black region of the image. Invert selection. ( I haven't tried it, but select color range might work too)
    4. Select the history brush tool and choose a low density brush (I love grunge type brushes for this--spatter types work well too). Reduce flow and opacity to around 35%
    5. (optional) Flood the white with dark brown
    6. Paint with the history brush to reveal the image.
    7. Run some artistic filters (my favorite combo is impressionist followed by paint engine).
    8. (optional) Select inverse. Run a mildly distorting filter (my favorite is VP oil). Deselect
    9. (optional) Create a new layer and flood fill with dark brown. Run texturizer. Create layer mask and use a low opacity, spatter type brush with low flow to paint image back in. Adjust blending mode.
    10. (optional) Merge all to new layer (or flatten) and play with more filters. Add pattern fill layer is soft light to add slight texture.

One of the attached examples used a buzz sketch and the other a guassian blur sketch.
    Attached Files