Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• DannyRaphael
    Impressionist plugin: Custom styles (member posted)
    by DannyRaphael
    The purpose of this thread is to share custom Impressionist styles created by RetouchPRO menus.

The following topics are addressed in this post:
    * How to prepare and upload your custom styles
    * How to install custom styles, brushes and papers
    * A "Danny's favorites"...
    05-22-2004, 02:16 PM
  • DannyRaphael
    Impressionst plugin: How to create a custom style
    by DannyRaphael
    I got a question the other day something like, "How do you go about creating a custom style in Impressionist."

The short answer: It's pretty much by trial and error process.

The basic steps to create a custom versiion of the Pencil Sketch > Detail Colored style...
    11-30-2005, 02:36 AM
  • Fluffbutt
    Impressionist Set File - how to fix if needed
    by Fluffbutt
    FLASH - CUSTOM STYLE NAMES MUST BE 30 CHARACTERS or LESS
    When saving a custom Style by clicking the Save button, if you assign a name longer than 30 characters in the Variant box, Impressionist will complete the request (no error message), but will create a "blank" entry in the category...
    05-31-2004, 10:55 AM
  • celter
    Impressionist problem.
    by celter
    Hi everybody. I downloaded the "Impressionist" plug-in for PS Elements 4 and I am impressed with this program. However I am not able to save the "styles". I get the dialog box when I try to save, but cannot find the saved style afterwards. Any ideas what is wrong?
    07-28-2006, 01:16 AM
  • memphishooter
    file browser
    by memphishooter
    I have PS7 in a new machine, with Windows, giving me 16 x 9 screen. Thing is, I like to bring files into PS7, set em up in file browser and batch rename, so the files are sequential, and the file #'s are only two digits long. I can't find the triangle that I used to see when I had this exact same program...
    01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheryl H
    started a topic Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting

Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting

The Impressionist plugin is PC only. It doesn't work with native Mac applications.

It will work on one of the newer Macs that runs Windows or a Mac outfitted with Virtual PC. In either case a Windows version of an image editing program such as Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Painter, etc. is needed to host this plugin.

- - - - - - -

Symptoms:
    * When you click the Style buttom, the only category displayed in the dropdown menu is Charcoal whose only style is Default.

POSSIBILITY 1 (see below for POSSIBILITY 2)

This is the most common problem first time Impressionist users experience and is due to improperly named folders. If folder names are not spelled correctly as shown in the attached diagram, Impressionist will not work properly.

Corrective action:
    * Open the attachment and verify folder spelling and organization

Notes:
    * mscreate.dir is a junk file and not needed.
    * The top level folder (the one inside the plugins folder containing all of Impressionist's files) can be named anything.
    * The remaining folder names MUST be spelled correctly (as shown) or Charcoal > Default will be the only stting available.

For additional detail on file structure:
    * Open the Impressionist plugin
    * Click the Help button
    * Search on topic Impressionist File Organization

- - - - - - -

POSSIBILITY 2

Symptoms: "I've verified the folder structure is correct and the folders are named correctly. But Charcoal > Default is still the only style available.

Try this...

Use Windows Start > Seach (file/folders) to see if by chance there's a duplicate of Impressionist's 8bf file "somewhere else" within the folder structure of your image editing program. If a duplicate exists, your editing program is most likely finding it first and does not bother looking for the .8bf located in the properly configured folders.

Delete extraneous files/folders if you find any and then shutdown and restart your imaging program.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 11-02-2006, 02:19 PM. Reason: Update content

• RobertWh
    replied
    Thanks a lot!

Leave a comment:

• bpurvis
    replied
    Re: Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting

Originally posted by Janet Petty View Post

Also be aware that the lightening fast 64-bit computers that run this new Photoshop will also make obsolete a lot of the other plug-ins we all know and love to use.

Janet
    It may be the CS4 that's causing the problem. I installed it on my Vista 64 and it's running fine. I'm using CS3.

Becky

Leave a comment:

• DannyRaphael
    replied

Originally posted by peener View Post
    Hi, first-time poster -

I love IMPRESSIONIST, but it's always been a little slow. I finally upgraded to a quad-core PC, and the plugin only uses one core. That means my old 3ghz single core PC runs the plugin faster than the new 2.4 ghz quad-core on the same version of XP. Oh well.
    Hi Peener:

Welcome to Retouch Pro.

Regarding replacing one's computer and getting no performance boost with this jewel of a plugin, I feel your pain. Been there, done that myself.

It's easy to forget Impressionist was written 12-13 years ago (packaged with Front Page 97), long before it could be architected and optimized for multi-core processors because there were no multi-core processors back then!

In any event it's a pretty nifty tool, definitely one of a kind.

Looking fwd. to seeing some of your artwork. Jump in anytime.

Leave a comment:

• peener
    replied

Hi, first-time poster -

I love IMPRESSIONIST, but it's always been a little slow. I finally upgraded to a quad-core PC, and the plugin only uses one core. That means my old 3ghz single core PC runs the plugin faster than the new 2.4 ghz quad-core on the same version of XP. Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• DannyRaphael
    replied

Originally posted by Alcar View Post
    Danny, several members of DigitalNuts are reporting they are using the Impressionist Plugin successfully in photoshop and Vista 64. I haven't asked any of them if they are using CS4, which may be culprit.
    Alan
    I just read the DN replies. I saw the thumbs up on Impressionist + Vista "in general" (most likely the Vista 32 bit versions), but I did not see a specific confirmation for CS4 / Vista 64. Did I miss it?

Hopefully someone besides Janet will be able to confirm this. It would be a deal breaker for me.

FWIW: If it wuz me I'd stick with XP for the time being (you know it works) and give Windows 7 a look when it ships late 2009 or whenever in 2010. My .02.

Leave a comment:

• Alcar
    replied

Danny, several members of DigitalNuts are reporting they are using the Impressionist Plugin successfully in photoshop and Vista 64. I haven't asked any of them if they are using CS4, which may be culprit.
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• DannyRaphael
    replied

Originally posted by Janet Petty View Post
    I find that the Impressionist plug-in no longer works in Photoshop CS4 on a 64-bit machine running Windows Vista.
    I had a report that Impressionist under CS4 under Vista (32-bit) works fine; now we know for sure 64-bit is a problem for my favorite plugin.

FYI: It's been reported elsewhere that Paint Engine has issues with Vista, too.
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 12-21-2008, 02:01 PM. Reason: update text

Leave a comment:

• Alcar
    replied

Janet, I've been thinking of upgrading my computer, but your post now has given me second thoughts. Do you think the culprit (re Impressionist Plugin) is with Vista, CS4, or simply both?
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• Janet Petty
    replied

This might be the wrong place to post this; but I thought I'd jump in with a tidbit I've discovered.

I've not been around much for a few months for several reasons, not the least of which is that my old computer (and good friend) was slowly dying.

Now with its death and subsequent replacement, I find that the Impressionist plug-in no longer works in Photoshop CS4 on a 64-bit machine running Windows Vista.

Also be aware that the lightening fast 64-bit computers that run this new Photoshop will also make obsolete a lot of the other plug-ins we all know and love to use.

Sign me still getting used to a machine that actually performs well, doesn't hang up for hours, and a monitor without huge white holes all over it, a sound system that actually produces sound (quite a shock I might add), and lots of little differences I'm still getting used to. I'm also poorer that I used to be (oh yeah).

Merry Christmas all.

Janet

Leave a comment:

• DannyRaphael
    replied
    Originally posted by sylvia1065
    Hi Danny,
    It looks like you had a "good time" with that technician friend of yours!

lol
    Sylvia
    Actually my head hurt when we were done. I get pretty numb after a few minutes of such one-sided conversations. I was surprised that I wrote semi-made sense (to me) when I finished! (LOL)

Leave a comment:

• sylvia1065
    replied
    Hi Danny,
    It looks like you had a "good time" with that technician friend of yours!
    Here's a paraphrase of how he explained it to me. Keep in mind this a 30 minute techno-babble discussion summed up in a few paragraphs.
    lol
    Sylvia

Leave a comment:

• DannyRaphael
    replied
    Hi Danny,
    Well, I suppose it depends on how many programs are running in the background. I always have at least 4 or 5 programs open at the same time, and giving Photoshop priority over all of them does make a difference.
    Sylvia
    I'm not disputing your report at all. My tests confirmed your suggestion: Raising Photoshop's priority does make a difference.

In my case the difference wasn't particularly significant. In your case it is, and that's terrific. Under the right circumstances your suggestion will surely benefit many folks who surf here.

re: Well, I suppose it depends on how many programs are running in the background.

I was talking this over with a tech-jock friend. Here's a paraphrase of how he explained it to me. Keep in mind this a 30 minute techno-babble discussion summed up in a few paragraphs.

To some degree the number of programs running in the background can be a factor, but what usually eats your lunch is all those other processes [tasks] such as spyware and virus watchers which continually utilize processor resources and incur Windows overhead.

If you open Task Manager when you're not doing anything, the CPU utilization should be fairly low. [In my case it bounces between 1%-4%]. You will see the value change as Windows services the running tasks and chews up some resources for itself. When you launch a CPU intensive process such as Impressionist, CPU utilization pegs at 100% until the filter completes doing its thing. Photoshop is getting most of the CPU, but not all of it. Windows gives a little to all the other tasks as well.

Increasing Photoshop's processing priority starves the other processes and at the same time lowers Windows overhead, including things like task switching, memory management and what's known as paging.

Your [my] unscientific results indicate when given more CPU resources, Photoshop got the job done in ~4% less time, which correlates to system idle resource utilization on your [my] PC.

The most benefit from raising Photoshop's priority will most likely be seen on systems with some combination of low RAM in terms of Windows' and/or program needs (more paging = longer wait time), relatively slow disk drives (slower throughput), fragmented disk drives (slows down Windows paging and PS swap file activity) and/or a lot of concurrent background processes.
    That and three bucks might get you a latte at Starbucks.

In any event your suggestion was a good one, Sylvia. It sure can't hurt to try it.

~Danny~

Leave a comment:

• sylvia1065
    replied
    Hi Danny,
    Well, I suppose it depends on how many programs are running in the background. I always have at least 4 or 5 programs open at the same time, and giving Photoshop priority over all of them does make a difference.
    Sylvia

Leave a comment:

• DannyRaphael
    replied
    Try this:
    Ctrl Alt Del, Processes, select Photoshop, right-click on it and select "set priority: high, OK.
    That will give much more power to Photoshop.
    Good luck,
    This is facinating, so I had to give this a try.

I applied a custom preset that I know runs real slow multiple times against the same. Here are the results. Times at each setting are averages of 3 runs on a PC with 1.4 Mhz CPU and 1 GB RAM, running Windows 2000 SP4, Photoshop 7 and a few inactive sessions of Internet Explorer:
    ...Time...-.Priority Setting via Task Manager
    * 78 sec - Normal
    * 75 sec - High
    * 73 sec - Realtime (note: PS get priority over moving mouse!)

I was hoping for a bigger improvement than 4%-6%, but it is what it is. Everyones' system is going to be different, so results will vary.

It was fun experimenting. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing this tidbit.

~Danny~

Leave a comment:

Working...
X