Try It: Soft Sketch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try It: Soft Sketch

Before things got pruned in the big move, I'd printed out tons of how-to's from the site. I found a palette shot that wasn't attached to any directions and decided to see how much of it I could figure out for fun. I think I got most of it, but I did make a few changes where I coudln't guess right. (I finally found the directions--I almost had the first 5 steps right--lol .) This makes a really nice, soft sketch. The directions below are what I actually used on the "Jose" sketch as well as the example below. http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...=&postid=56952

Soft Sketch

1. Make 2 duplicates of the background. Turn off the top one—it’s reserved to add color at the end if desired. I find it easier to leave a layer at the top instead of dragging it to the top of the stack at the end.

Working on the middle layer
    2. Image—Adjustments Desaturate
    3. Duplicate the desaturated layer. Image—Adjustments—Invert
    4. Set the blending mode on the inverted layer to Color Dodge and run Filter—Blur--Gaussian Blur. Use a higher setting than is typical (4-9). Merge down.
    5. Duplicate the merged layer and set the blending mode to Multiply. Run Filter—Blur--Gaussian Blur. Use fairly high values again (4-10).
    6. Merge Down. Name it Base Sketch
    7. Duplicate Base Sketch. On the copy (upper B/W) run Filter—Brush Strokes—Crosshatch (10-4-2 works well for me). Reduce Opacity to 40-60%
    8. Merge all to a new layer and call it Sketch 2. Make 2 copies of Sketch 2. Turn off the top one (it’s being left near the top of the stack ready for later) and work on the lower copy.
    9. On the lower copy of Sketch 2, smudge the gray areas. Note that you are NOT smudge painting. You are just softening the dark parts of the image. I’ve been using Trimoon’s soften edges #1 brush for this step (it’s a spatter brush with opacity 19%)
    10. Run Filter—Stylize—Diffuse—Ansiotropic. (You may want to run this more than once—you might want to make a back-up so you can experiment)
    11. Turn on sketch 2 copy 2 (should be right above the ansiotropic layer). Reduce opacity to 50-80%
    12. Optional—choose one
    a. Turn on the color layer you left at the top. Set to Color Burn and adjust opacity to taste. Sometimes other blending modes give pleasing results.
    b. More work but better results. Before turning on the color layer merge everything to a new layer. Run Image—Adjustments—Auto Color on this layer. Turn on the color layer and set to Soft Light.
    13. Add a light texture if desired.

Here's the original.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cheryl H; 07-20-2003, 05:14 PM.

And here's the after.

Your turn to try it on one of yours.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow. Wonderful twist on a tried and true technique, Cheryl.

I preferred the soft, pencil-sketch-like look, so chose not to use the color.

Another very nice technique. Thank you much.

~Danny~
      Attached Files

Comment

Danny--that came out great! The sketch look really works well with that photo and is very flattering.

Don--The pagoda is my favorite. And I've got 4 different sketch styles that I always try. Soon to be 5--I just read about another one. I like to blend several sketch layers in most of what I do. Each gives a little bit different emphasis to details.

Comment

Re: Try It: Soft Sketch

Jes i try it,its a older wan from 2003 from Cheryl H.
          And i love it,thanks for i may using the tut,
          I post a original,a b/w and a color,if i can,and i hope jou like it
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rogier
            Very nice, Rogier. I especially like #2 with the colored background. Well done.

~Danny~

Comment

Danny,and all,i must thank jou,it is here i have learn hou i must doe it,and now i have a wacom tablet3 usb A5 ,and i works great.
              especially for outlines and pressure .
              every day i coming here i learn somthing new.So thank's

Comment

Thanks for the tut! I tried it on a pic of my grandson, Carter. Btw, in case anyone wonders ... yes ... those are his natural eyelashes! He and his sister are both blessed with gorgeous. thick, long lashes. Though ... I just MIGHT be prejudiced.
                CarterCHSoftSketchWEB.jpg

Comment

Color sketch.

Steve C.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow Steve ... LOVE it!

Comment

Originally posted by moonchild64 View Post
                      Wow Steve ... LOVE it!
                      Rarely use Photoshop so did not follow the tutorial, but glad you like it.

Many THNX....

Steve C.

Comment

Originally posted by rogier View Post
                        What do you think?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 810924 View Post
                          What do you think?
                          Nicely done. I like the soft edges.

Comment

Ok, I've tried this a couple of times but with not much success. Not on portraits but on still life and landscapes, but without much success. I'm missing something. I think it may be in step 9, smudging the grey areas. I've tried with the smudge tool but I'm obviously not getting how much or what you're aiming for with this step. Any chance you could just post an image of this step so I can see what you're aiming for?

Comment