I had to try a smudge myself,

Palms
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DannyRaphael
    replied
    Re: Creative portraits: Great baby photos II by Br

Originally posted by carseasoncity View Post
    Geesh! This stinks...way harder than a puppy! Here's my first feeble attempt at a portrait. I included the original, the painting, and the painting with texture. This is gonna take some serious time and effort to get good at.
    This attempt leaves me with lots of questions...
    How short/long should the strokes be?
    Which direction should the strokes go...diagonal, up/down, circular?
    How do I make it look more like brush strokes without upping the opacity so much that it makes it look blotchy?
    Should I give up now?

Thanks for any input.
    Brandi
    I just noticed this collection one in the other thread. Seems it got lost among the other posts so I started a new thread.

First of all I sense your frustration. Been there myself. My .02: Give yourself a break... getting favorable results on about anything takes knowledge of "what to do" and "how to do it" along with a lot of practice to develop the associated skills. People who do this digital art thing well make it look and sound easy. It's like watching pro golfers, bowlers or chefs on T.V. But make no mistake: Behind the scenes a lot of work went into developing their techniques.

Doing portaits is especially difficult compared to transforming a photo of a non-human object to give it a painted look...and smudge painting is among the more challenging methods to learn because it's so easy to mess up facial detail.

Suggestion #2: Since this techinique is definitely not my strong suit, I don't have specific advice on your questions. If I were you I'd take a serious look at the smudge painting training offerings by Brad Buttry:

http://www.mmkgraphics.com/tutorials/virtualpaint.html

IMO he does some amazing work with this method, I've read favorable comments by others about the content/training quality and his oil painting DVD is reasonably priced compared to other, more high-profile artists. After getting as much out of it as you can, I'm sure you would be able to sell it, say in the RP classifieds, and recoup at least 70%-75% of your investment if you chose to do that.

While it's tempting to try to learn this kind of thing on your own w/o visual instruction, why continue to beat yourself up when help is a few mouseclicks away?

Regardless of how you decide to proceed I encourage you not to give up. You have so many cute pics to work on!

Leave a comment:

• Creative portraits: Great baby photos II by Brandi

Geesh! This stinks...way harder than a puppy! Here's my first feeble attempt at a portrait. I included the original, the painting, and the painting with texture. This is gonna take some serious time and effort to get good at.
    This attempt leaves me with lots of questions...
    How short/long should the strokes be?
    Which direction should the strokes go...diagonal, up/down, circular?
    How do I make it look more like brush strokes without upping the opacity so much that it makes it look blotchy?
    Should I give up now?

Thanks for any input.
    Brandi
    Attached Files
Working...
X