Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My third try at smudge painting...thoughts?

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• BitG
    First Smudge
    by BitG
    hey guys, I have been reading a lot of the smudging tutorials the last few days; and I finished my first one up tonight.

I was wanting to get some feedback on it, because to me, it looks too real, and doesn't really look like a smudge at all.

Thanks for any feedback.....
    06-26-2009, 01:55 AM
  • CathyH
    Smudge pretty blond
    by CathyH
    Hi here is a smudge painting I just finished. What do you think?
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Cathy...
    04-19-2008, 08:14 PM
  • tutumon
    First try at painting from Photo - CC welcomed
    by tutumon
    My very first try..WHat do you folks think? ANy suggestions/tips welcome.

Picture
    07-14-2007, 03:20 PM
  • aturner
    New smudger
    by aturner
    New to the forum and to smudging. Here is the original and my attempt to smudge. I feel like I missed something, although I can't figure out what. It still seems to be too "photographic" looking. Here are my steps:

1. Smudged using lighten, darken and normal modes at various...
    01-22-2009, 06:34 PM
  • palms
    smudge painting
    by palms
    looking through the archives i found a post on smudge painting and thought i would give it a go, problem was none of the links were live, so i am not sure what it should look like, had a go though what do you think ? does anybody know am i close ?
    i will also post the original

06-24-2005, 12:06 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My third try at smudge painting...thoughts?

So I did a "painting" of a dog which a lot of people said was pretty good, then I tried a baby, which quite frankly looked like pooh. So I've summoned up the courage to try again with a girl in a hat. I've gotten to this point and don't know what to do to improve. Any thoughts? I've posted the original and the attempt at a painting.
    Thanks! and feel free to show me what you can do with it.
    Brandi
    Attached Files

Re: My third try at smudge painting...thoughts?

I really like the depth in the eyes, and the texture in the hat is very nice. Keep an eye on your shadows, though--the one on the side of the nose is pretty odd-looking, and you've cut into shirt's with that strand of hair. It's a cute picture, though, and you've gotten a nice start.

Comment

Hi Brandi-
      Have you seen Palms' post on smudging in the Photo-Art Resources folder?
      http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...resources.html
      Lots of information there!

I am a complete newbie to smudging, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I think the challenge with smudging is to smudge it enough for it to look painted, without over smudging. I think your's still looks a lot like a photo, but I often think that of smudged images. I definitely agree with Maroon though, the hat looks great!

Maybe you could tell a little more about what you've done, so the smudging experts can give you better advice on where to go from here. For example, did you only smudge, or did you do some post finishing stuff (USM or diffuse, etc.)
      Good Luck!

Comment

Great photo to work with. It all starts there.
        Originally posted by mikajomc View Post
        ...I think the challenge with smudging is to smudge it enough for it to look painted, without over smudging. I think your's still looks a lot like a photo, but I often think that of smudged images.
        Good observations...

One way to get away from the "still looks like a photo" look, yet retain the pleasing smudged look on facial features is to:
        * Duplicate the final smudged layer... perhaps multiple times
        * Apply heavier-than-you-would-on-a-photo amounts of sharpening to bring out hair and hat highlights and texture
        * Apply hue/sat adjustment layers to boost saturation and/or shift colors a bit
        * Use layer masks to selectively apply the above effects (hat, hair sharpened, hat color, eye color, rosy cheeks)

Here's a quick hack to illustrate how you can have your cake and eat it too.

More food for thought: The black background for a photo portrait is a traditional/classic effect that works great (like this one does) when lighted properly. FWIW I've never seen a (real) painted portrait with a solid background of any color. That said there's nothing wrong with breaking the rules when it comes to this type of thing.

Your smudge technique is definitely getting better. Keep on learning!
        Attached Files

Comment

My attempt, Is it more painterly ? everyone has a different opinion/preference, if there is something you like or don't like about it say then maybe i can offer some advice on what to do or not do
          Take note of the advice already given and keep on practicing, noting what works for you and what dosnt, For your third one (or first person) you have done well

As with all smudges look at it as big as you can to see more of a effect

Palms
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X