Clear All

• Lil Curly Angel

Found another cracking picture for you all at SXC

Here

Now just enjoy

Peter
    Attached Files

Re: Lil Curly Angel

I can see her better this way.. She is still an Angel!
    Attached Files

Comment

You are right Peter a cracking photo pity it didnt come with instructions on how to get a girl to pose so serenely ( believe me i have tried with 2 granddaughters and it dosent work )

3 different ones that i hope you will like

Palms
      Attached Files

Comment

Wonderful shot, Peter. Keep 'em coming.

Smudge, Artistic Dry Brush, PST.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Swampy, I really enjoyed your videos, are there any books or videos you recommend on this photo to painting subject? Also, do you use any other plug ins or software for your cool painting/sketches?
          Thanks

Comment

Thank you Mcfly! Glad you enjoyed the tutorials. There are a number of tutorials and actions here on RTP, but I have yet to find a good book on creating digital art from photos. The conventional artists don't really accept the results as "real art". But I have seen pieces done with AHB and PST printed giclee that I'd defy you to say were not "hand painted".

As for plugins - My favorites are Topaz Adjust and Topaz Simplify. There are many others such as Lucis Art, Snap Art etc. (Some are not Mac compatible). I find that 90% of getting a soft painted look comes in the "preperation" process of simplifying the photo or, what I call, "pushing the pixels around". Short of the two Topaz plugins, I find I can do a lot of "mucking up the pixels" with the basic Photoshop filters and tools.

You can always try the Corel Painter route, but I'm totally lost when I try to use it. Fay Sikirus (sp) is the Corel Painter guru and has a book or two and some DVDs, but, again, I feel I have more control in PS.

Collect some good brushes and background images. For example, The attached image is the one I used with the PST to do the background for my above version of the Curly Haired Little Girl. I just set this image size to match the girl's photo and saved as a pattern. Then used a soft PST brush with low opacity to paint it in (above a canvas layer colored pink). I added just a hint of noise, a hint of motion blur and a hint of sandstone texture.

The best part is, learn the basic techinques of AHB and PST then PLAY. Experiment and have fun.
            Attached Files

Comment

Inspired by Swampy

thank you for the background image Swampy

Palms
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for those tips swampy, sorry what do you mean by AHB and PST?

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly201 View Post
                  Thanks for those tips swampy, sorry what do you mean by AHB and PST?
                  Too Save you waiting for Swampy here you go

AHB =Art history brush

PST = pattern stamp tool

Palms

Comment

Thanks Palms, any good books or videos you recommend to get up too speed with this photo to painting subject?

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly201 View Post
                      Thanks Palms, any good books or videos you recommend to get up too speed with this photo to painting subject?
                      As Swampy has said, i have not found any books that i think are worth while but there are loads and loads of tuts about on the net

here are two links for you to have a look at by Trimoon he got me hooked on using the ahb

smudge

ahb video
                      also look through the photo-art rescourses here there is lots to learn from the posts there and it is just practise and experiment

now that should keep you busy for the weekend

Palms

Comment

I can see her better this way.. She is still an Angel!
                        OB thats one Good turn.
                        Palms actually like all 3
                        Swampy - excellent
                        And Palms again - copycat but very good.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter S View Post
                          OB thats one Good turn.

And Palms again - copycat but very good.

Peter
                          I wasnt trying to copy i was trying to use the pst you know i struggle with it, but after seeing swampy's i was determined to show her i could do it ! ! ! ! ! and try out that great background

Palms

Comment

Did a few things and then I took out Artrage (haven't took it out for a spin in a while mainly since I still only use a mouse).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by palms1 View Post
                              I wasnt trying to copy i was trying to use the pst you know i struggle with it, but after seeing swampy's i was determined to show her i could do it ! ! ! ! ! and try out that great background

Palms

You got me slightly wrong, I wasn't calling you a copycat, merely stating it's a copycat style, and you've proven you can do it now, so keep it up.

Lyle you'll have to get Art rage out more.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X