Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Girl Smudge Painting-What Do You Think?

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• carseasoncity
    My third try at smudge painting...thoughts?
    by carseasoncity
    So I did a "painting" of a dog which a lot of people said was pretty good, then I tried a baby, which quite frankly looked like pooh. So I've summoned up the courage to try again with a girl in a hat. I've gotten to this point and don't know what to do to improve. Any thoughts? I've...
    01-28-2008, 08:32 PM
  • Frank Lopes
    Smudge question
    by Frank Lopes
    My tablet died and now, until the new one comes, all I have is a mouse :-(

Anyone managing to do decent "smudge" work only using a mouse?
    I just can't get the hang of it with only the mouse...

Can we see samples?
    04-29-2006, 11:32 AM
  • sergio2263
    Critic please
    by sergio2263
    I am not sure if this is in the right place but I would like some critics on my smudge painting or digital painting as it's also called, I am very new to the smudge and would like your critics good or bad be as brutal I have a long way to go yet with the smudge painting and your critics are valuable...
    03-07-2010, 03:35 AM
  • Liaquila
    My smudge attempt - What do you think?
    by Liaquila
    Hy Everybody !
    First time posting here, but I read this forum a lot and having being learn so much with you !
    Critics are welcome. Just want to improve. Done in Photoshop becouse I can't handle Painter...

http://liaquila.smugmug.com/photos/227600138-L.jpg
    12-01-2007, 07:39 PM
  • sharynideas
    Umbrella girl
    by sharynideas
    Thought this photo of my granddaughter would make some kind of art. She has a "tatoo" of a bee on her cheek which I didn't clone out, but it is kind of distracting. I'm having a lot of fun with the PST. So far, it's my favorite tool because it allows me to come close to what I would paint...
    11-13-2008, 04:45 AM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Girl Smudge Painting-What Do You Think?

I am finally back after a while. I am not sure if this is in the right place or if it should be in Critiques. I posted my first smudge attempt a while back and received several valuable critiques which I took to heart and came back and practiced, practiced, and practiced. I finally got it. Now I understand all about the different strokes, layers, etc. While it was sorta frustrating wading through all of it and the numerous tutorials that are mostly for photoshop ( I use Paint Shop Pro X2), I feel fantastic for having stuck with it, because I finally produced a painting I am happy with. I am sure it will not be as good as the many professionals gracing this board, but I believe I am on the right track. I always have room for improvement, so please tell me how I can improve on my work. By the way, this painting was done using the mouse on my laptop. I do not own a pen tablet. I have done just a little research on them and they can be somewhat pricey for me. I guess I wanted to see if I could accomplish this type of artwork before investing in one. All of this is my own handiwork....no filters, plugins, etc. Just bunches of layers and combining different things. I tried to use some canvas textures, but they were okay, so I didn't send that one. Hope the pictures were uploaded correctly.
    Attached Files

Re: My Girl Smudge Painting-What Do You Think?

Graham sorry i meant to post a reply yesterday but got waylaid ( again)

Glad you did stick at it, your work looks very nice, smudging is a lot harder in psp ( i did try it once and immediately gave up )

a pen tablet does make a difference,especially on long hair you tend to get a waver with a mouse,(my first smudges was with a mouse) one way i found helped was to rotate the image so i smudged horizontally for the hair .

When you have finished zoom in real big and look for bits that you have missed ( there always is some) like around your mouth area

Palms
    Last edited by palms; 06-27-2009, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Well your definitely getting there, very good for just using a mouse.
      Maybe try increasing the saturation a little to make it pop a bit more.
      I've attached my effort with a canvas texture added along with adjusting the lighting effect. (I've probably overdone every thing of course)

Peter
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks alot guys. I feel more confident in myself now. Great job Peter on your take. She's beautiful. I redid the picture and increased the saturation a little. It made a big difference and now she looks so warm. By the way, this is a picture of my beautiful daughter who loves to pose for the camera. Here is the new redo I did along with a canvas texture. I am getting there!!
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow - she's very pretty.

Here's a quick blur-smudge thingy from FotoSketcher:
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't have any plugins installed on my new computer, so this is straight PSP.

Done with salt and pepper filter and then a couple passes with a high pass sharpen,

Amy
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X