Help for Sister-In-law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for Sister-In-law

My brother gave me this photo of his wife and wanted to know if it could be made into a portrait. I've never done that before and don't know where to start or what toos (other than Photoshop) to use. Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by geezer; 09-04-2009, 03:59 PM.

Re: Help for Sister-In-law

Attach a larger sample of photo to let us all have a better peek.

Comment

You could crop, a square format maybe slightly off center. More space is generally given to the direction of subjects eyes. Decide whether to change the background or not. Her hair is in good order so shouldn't be to hard. Use Vignette or framing.

Comment

Aartist; how do I attach a larger sample. Isn't the forum restricted to 100kb? This is 82.8 kb...I'll try for spot on 100.

Mining Art: thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the Vignette to eliminate the background.

Comment

I agree; way to small. Might want to host the original using another photo hosting service and post the link here. In the meantime, here's a vector simplication for an almost humoring Picasso look.
          Attached Files

Comment

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the save for web function in Photoshop as described here:
            Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)
            How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads?(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
            Other Hosts if you do not have your own site:
            ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.
            Remember to attach an under 100K version in the thread so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links.

Comment

Very nice - my wife is a great Picasso fan and loved this.

Comment

Thanks for the great tips...used "Save for Web" and got a much better image. Thanks again.

Comment

You Sister-n-Law is a very pretty lady Geezer. Your new version is much better and now can do a little more serious play. Thought I would do a watercolor on your new version.
                  Attached Files

Comment

For me the BG had to go, too distracting.

Peter
                    Attached Files

Comment

Really nice water color Lyle.

Comment

This is quick and dirty, but is this kind of what you want? Or a formal photographer's background?

Amy
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is my version of portrait.

Get rid of annoying background tree trunk growing out of the top of her head.
                          And that Cash for Clunkers Truck has to go.
                          It's a nice truck, only kidding, but it still has to go, if you want a portrait.

Very nice photo, very pretty girl!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            My brother gave me this photo of his wife and wanted to know if it could be made into a portrait. I've never done that before and don't know where to start or what toos (other than Photoshop) to use. Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
                            geezer..
                            copy background
                            crop image
                            new layer.. fill with any color
                            move new colored layer down below the copied layer
                            select copied layer
                            Filter>Extract... click top tool on the left...Trace around pretty lady with a size 4 or 5 brush.. half the diameter on lady half off.. outline the areas between the arms and body also... select the paint bucket and fill the inside of the outline.. click OK
                            Clean up cutout with a mask and/or using the history brush
                            fix the highlights using the patch tool and the clone stamp... set the clone stamp tool to normal, darken and lighten as appropriate and change the opacity of the tool as needed
                            do any other repairs as necessary
                            select both eyes loosly... Ctrl+J will put them on a new layer... sharpen using USM (Unsharp Mask) amount about 135 with a radius @ about 2.5 to 3... brighten the highlights in the centers using a small soft brush using the dodge tool set on @ 20%... darken the pupils with the burn tool set at shadows... hold the Alt key while clicking the Mask Icon at the bottom of the layer menu.. this will make a hide all mask and hide all the work you just did...
                            select a small soft brush and the color white and paint white on just the pupils and Irises to reveal the work you did
                            Select an appropriate background and place it under the cutout layer and above the color layer
                            Sharpen and reduce noise on the image if necessary

select the top layer in the stack then make a new layer.... hold down Shft+Ctrl+Alt+E to get a merged copy of your work in this new layer...
                            save as a PSD to keep the layers

Make a new document from this merged layer and use it as is.. or as a base for some Art work
                            Attached Files

Comment

OlBaldy, very nice work, along with thorough explanation.

Comment

Working...
                              X