Creative Portraits: Ali in Maui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Portraits: Ali in Maui

Here's a recent pic (taken by my son) of my daughter looking like she's deep in thought. Truth is she was considering what she wanted for dinner later that day: pizza or a hamburger. Decisions, decisions!

Have fun.
    Attached Files

Re: Creative Portraits: Ali in Maui

Ta for the opportunity to practise portrait painting using painter and ps, danny
    Attached Files

Comment

My oh my Ali is looking quite grown up now ! !

Palms
      Attached Files

Comment

Gilbert.

Just curious to how you managed to get that painted effect.
        Are you using PhotoShop? and if so, can you tell me in brief how you achieved this look.
        cheers
        g

Comment

Hi foghorn
          Thanks for showing an interest in my 'Ali' attempt. Unfortuneately I am useless at describing my workflow but I'll try to give a rough description which, if nothing else , will give you somewhere to start.................
          Painting Ali method

a) In Photoshop resize canvas to make space for top of head, crop and rotate to please (me)
          b) In Painter quick clone and sketch head & shoulders using 'Robbs cover pencil' and a 'russet' colour
          Create new layer and fill with colour of choice ,set to 'gel' mode so as to see sketch on underlying layer. Create your 'background' on this layer by adding more colour and smudging
          Clone skin & clothes using 'Den's oil brush luscious', blend skin tones colours with 'Marlyns Skin brush'
          Clone hair with 'Marlyns hair brush'or 'Dens oil brush luscious', blend/smudge hair using same brush with 'resat'set at zero and varying 'feature' between 1 and 3 to suit
          c) Drop layers, and using marlyns hair brush with feature set about 2 smudge sketch lines until incorporated into painting. Add highlights where/if needed using fx brushes.
          d) In photoshop, make colour adjusts and sharpen to suit

All brushes used are available for download on the net.....somewhere

Hope this helps you a little

Comment

Palms is right your little girl is growing up.

Peter
            Attached Files

Comment

Gilbert.

Cheers for that. It looks like I have to get myself a copy of painter to be able to achieve that effect.

Thanks a lot

g

Comment

Went for a monochromatic vector look.
                Attached Files

Comment

Like how her hair turned out in yours Lyle. I decided on a bit more color.
                  Thanks for sharing your daughter with us Danny.
                  Hope you got to enjoy Maui too.

Click HERE for larger version.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the Ali shot. My version was finished in PaintEngine.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dang Danny, them little girls sure do grow up fast these days.. What a beautiful women you have there....Hmmmm must have something to do with the Pizzas and Hamburgers... Not quite the same little girl as the picture in your Pencil sketch Tutorial from a short six years ago
                      Attached Files

Comment

Cute girl.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great work everyone and thanks, Gilbert, for the how-to detail. Much appreciated by many.

Originally posted by 0lBaldy View Post
                          Dang Danny, them little girls sure do grow up fast these days.
                          Tell me about it!

- - - - -

This one: I started by duplicating the Background and experimenting with the settings of Impressionist's Chalk > Chunky Strokes style, e.g. changed Background from Image to Custom (white), lowered Coverage % setting to around 50%, tinkered with Brush min/max height/width values and turned on Effects > Emboss = 1, Top Right. Applied style.

Duplicated BG again, dragged duplicate to top layer, fiddled with Chalk > Chunky Strokes settings some more, applied, changed layer blend mode from Normal to Darken, which drops out the white and filled in some of the image. Repeated this sequence several more times to "build up" / fill in most of the original areas of white.

Merged visible, sharpened a little. Duplicated BG again, dragged duplicate to top layer, added 'hide all' layer mask and painted with white (opacity = 100%, flow=10%) on mask to bring back a little detail here and there.

Merged visible again, ctrl + T to engage Transform, rotated a bit so rails were perpendicular, did a little cloning here and there to cover up blobs.

Showed it to Ali who said: "This is OK, but I like Gilbert's better." Critic, but I couldn't disagree! She's right.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ali, your cheque's in the post!

Comment

One more go... This one done with Paint Shop Pro X2's Topology filter + some Boss Emboss.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X