Creative Portraits: Maria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Portraits: Maria

A nice closeup, I thought. Should make for a good painting or high-key sketch.

Have fun...

~Danny~
    Attached Files

1. Used basically the same technique as the one described here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...p?postid=75040

= = = = = =

2. Based on this tutorial:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9059

Added some grain and applied Crosshatch to give it a little personality. Added a Brightness/contrast layer for on overall light gray look.

~Danny~
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 10-18-2004, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Art Base

Although the art work ended up nicely, I wanted to show a little idea I've been working on.......

Lately I've been experimenting with (trying to understand,thanks JustChecking) the high-pass filter and it ended up serving as a way to put some spice into a photo before doing the "art" stuff.

Up to now every time I used this, the art work got easier and / or came out better. Although three times isn't a very big sample.

Art base: make a duplicate, set blending to overlay and blend-if to "This Layer" 0-20 / 235-255 (split the triangles); make a load of duplicates of this. Run the high-pass on each layer at a different radius and lower the opacity of the higher radii layers. (The palette shows it better, of course)

Hope the turns out useful to someone....

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by byRo
        Although the art work ended up nicely, I wanted to show a little idea I've been working on.......

Lately I've been experimenting with (trying to understand,thanks JustChecking) the high-pass filter and it ended up serving as a way to put some spice into a photo before doing the "art" stuff.

Up to now every time I used this, the art work got easier and / or came out better. Although three times isn't a very big sample.

Art base: make a duplicate, set blending to overlay and blend-if to "This Layer" 0-20 / 235-255 (split the triangles); make a load of duplicates of this. Run the high-pass on each layer at a different radius and lower the opacity of the higher radii layers. (The palette shows it better, of course)

Hope the turns out useful to someone....

In the final arty version...

(a) In the "color" layer set did you take the Art Base and apply Cutout followed by Rough Pastel or Cutout to one copy and Rough Pastel to the other?

(b) In the "outline" layer set did the Luminosity layer begat the Pencil layer from which the Ansio layeer was created?

In the High Pass stack...
        * OK. I get it now (after rereading the description) and eyeballing the layer stack. I hope you created an action to recreate this effect on future pics!

This is a facinating method. As I said recently, you're really opening my eyes to possibilities I'd never considered.

~Danny~
        Last edited by DannyRaphael; 10-19-2004, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I was messing with some filters and settings and came up with this one. It's based on the attached Photoshop action.

After the action finished I added a hue/saturation adjustment layer to the final layer stack, set the saturation setting to -100, and then airbrushed black to restore the eye color.

~Danny~
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DannyRaphael
            (a) In the "color" layer set did you take the Art Base and apply Cutout followed by Rough Pastel or Cutout to one copy and Rough Pastel to the other?
            First option: in sequence Art Base -> Cut-Out -> Rough Pastel. Usually I leave it just with cut-out but I thought that this was looking too flat. If I was at home I'd probably have used something Impressionist. (Good thing I'm not!)

(b) In the "outline" layer set did the Luminosity layer begat the Pencil layer from which the Ansio layer was created?
            Exactly

I hope you created an action to recreate this effect on future pics!
            Sure. Almost posted it but I'm still tweaking. Like I said only used it three times up to now - tonight I'm doing some more.

Have fun,

Comment

Lovely expression.

Cropped and corrected color.
              Used hue & Sat with a high feather to remove reddened shadow.
              Simplified.
              Impressionist paint/fine brush hairs at different settings and brushes.
              Nik pro contrast (painted in)
              embossed
              Created bg with FP swirl and embossed.
              Combined the two at various opacities.
              Xero
              Nik soft gold.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LQQKER
                Lovely expression.

Cropped and corrected color.
                Used hue & Sat with a high feather to remove reddened shadow.
                Simplified.
                Impressionist paint/fine brush hairs at different settings and brushes.
                Nik pro contrast (painted in)
                embossed
                Created bg with FP swirl and embossed.
                Combined the two at various opacities.
                Xero
                Nik soft gold.
                Great job on the eyes and lashes. They make the pic as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Love her hair. So...

Totally with "The all new FREE Project Dogwaffle version 1.2."

(Click here to be taken to a thread for more information and URL on this program.)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DannyRaphael; 10-21-2004, 09:35 AM. Reason: Added link to thread where jaykita posted download link.

Comment

Very glamourized look you achieved here. This is a pretty nifty program and you sure can't beat the price!

~Danny~

Comment

Couldnt resist doing this one. VP + impr plug-in.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's something I wipped up using the idea behind Rô's "Graphic Eq" tutorial. No doubt there are many directions this could lead.

Layer description from bottom (layer1) to top
                        1. BG (original Maria)
                        2. BG copy. Highpass 20
                        3. BG copy. High pass 10. Invert. Layer mode LinearLight at 50% Opacity.
                        4. New layer. Fill with white. Turn off visibility for now.
                        5. New layer. Merge visible (layers 2 & 3). This is the 10-20 "radius" band in Rô's tut. Set this layer mode to LinearLight at 100% Opacity. Turn on visibility of layer 4.
                        6. New layer. Merge visible (layers 4 & 5)
                        7. Levels Adj. set to 196, 1.00, 255
                        8. New layer. Merge visible (layers 6 & 7)
                        9. Copy of layer 3. (Still linear light.) Desaturate. Reduce opacity to 40%. It turns out that I accidently left it inverted. This was accidental on my part. Both ways work although the results are rather different. Try it both ways to see what works best for you.
                        10. New Layer. Merge visible (layers 8 & 9).

Layer 10 looks to me like a great starting point for many things. For my posting, I just ran Crosshatch 10,4,2 on it and called it quits.

-Mark
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by SWEngineer; 11-30-2004, 02:42 AM. Reason: correction in layer description

Comment

Now THAT'S CREATIVE, Mark! Talk about being inspired and running with it.

I'll bet you find it hard to sleep at night as new possibilities keep popping into your head!

Comment

Great submissions to a very nice image to work with.

Desatureated the image, worked the curves and did find edges on a new layer. Did a select color to get rid of the dark lines then used levels to bring up the soft lines. Ran Anisotropic on the lines. Created new layer and embossed, lowered opacity and fill, then merge down. Blend mode to Liniar Dodge and added mask painted in the face. Merge and did Anisotropic portrait then landscape. flatten and added new layer soft light painted with black. merge then added the crosshatch.

Link to larger image on Pbase
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by TwinbNJ; 12-04-2004, 05:22 PM.

Comment

This one's for Judy....lotsa strokes.

Home-made canvas, AHB pencils @ Hard Light, High-Pass outlines @ Linear Light, Levels tweak, Render lighting effects.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by byRo; 04-21-2005, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X