More than 1 layer mask per layer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than 1 layer mask per layer?

Hi,I'm just wondering if the above is possible in CS2?
    Thank you

Originally posted by saberlancer
    Hi,I'm just wondering if the above is possible in CS2?
    Thank you
    Nope. One layer mask per layer.

What result are you trying to obtain? Maybe there's a workaround or alternate method.

Comment

For eg,
      I wanted to use a curves adjustment layer to affect only a selected region using a gradient mask, but then to be able to add another layer mask to the same layer so that 'certain selected' parts are now NOT affected by the Ist curves adjustment mask.

Of course,I can paint in the parts on the Ist mask, but then, especially in a 'gradient mask', it'll be then difficult to paint back the same shades....

Ok, I admit it may be difficult to follow my explainations haha...

Comment

A picture paints a thousand words...

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/132/2mask1nx.jpg

Comment

Saberlancer...

Although it's true you can't put more than one layer mask on an individual layer, it is possible to do what you want this way...

1. Apply a layer mask to the selected layer.

2. Create a new Layer group and move the layer into that group.

3. Apply a layer mask to the goup.

4. If you need a additional layer masks, create a new layer group again, and move the previous layer group into the new group. This creates a nested group (a group within a group).

5. Apply a layer mask to the new group.

6. You can do this as many times as Photoshop will let you nest groups (which is 5 deep) thus actually allowing you to apply a total of 6 possible layer masks to your original layer.

Hope that helps.

--Racc

Comment

I added two masks to a single layer... Just clicked the mask button twice.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey, Swampy is right! I didn't know you could do that. Learn something new everyday.

So, that would mean using my method above you could have a total of 12 layer masks applied to a single original layer. WOW!!!

Talk about overkill!

--Racc

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy
                I added two masks to a single layer... Just clicked the mask button twice.
                That's not a layer mask right?

A Vector mask? And you cannot use it like you do a layer mask.
                Pls kindly correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

Hi Racc,
                  Thanks for the help, however, your method can only 'hide' and not 'reveal' as in earlier attached image.

eg,
                  In my layer mask, I paint black to hide a region, in the Group mask, I cannot paint white to reveal back regions that 'were earlier hidden in the layer mask'.

Comment

Yep...the second mask Swampy discovered is a vector mask.

Great screenshot. That was worth a couple thousand words.

Here's one way that I believe will get you where you want to go:
                    * Add a layer mask to the layer and apply the gradient the way you want
                    * Optional: If you want to preserve this mask for later, Ctrl + click on the layer mask thumbnail to "load the selection" (marching ants) and then Select > Save selection...
                    * Duplicate this layer
                    * Turn "off" the one below it (click eyeball)
                    * On the duplicate layer, alt + drag the layer mask into the trash (this avoids the "are you sure?" msg)
                    * Add a new layer mask (regular or hide all... whichever is easier) to the top layer
                    * Mask in (out) what you want
                    * When you've got the second layer mask exactly the way you want it, ctrl + click on the layer mask thumbnail to "load the selection" (marching ants)
                    * Optional: Select > Save selection... (if you want to preserve this mask)
                    * Turn "off" this layer (click eyeball)
                    * Turn "on" the one below it again
                    * Click on the layer mask (to make it active)
                    * Edit > Fill > Black to effectively "undo" the bottom layer mask with what was selected from the layer above, effectively combining the two masks w/o having to manually paint (that would have been ugly)
                    * Delete the top, duplicated layer unless you need it for some reason

If you saved the individual mask selections, you can use them for a "redo" or applying other effects later on, e.g., selective color adjustments or blurring or whatever.

Does this help?

Terrific question, by the way. I'd never considered doing what you're trying to do here. Great vision on your part. You can teach old dogs new tricks.

~Danny~
                    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 08-05-2005, 09:32 AM.

Comment

From DannyRaphael:
                      Yep...the second mask Swampy discovered is a vector mask.
                      Oh, well... back to just 6 masks.

From saberlancer:
                      eg,
                      In my layer mask, I paint black to hide a region, in the Group mask, I cannot paint white to reveal back regions that 'were earlier hidden in the layer mask'
                      That's true, but it would be the same thing with two masks on the same layer. The second mask wouldn't be able to re-reveal what was hidden by the first. The method I gave has some good uses, it just doesn't fit your situation.

I think the easiest way to do what you want is to use two layers, each with it own standard layer mask.

1. Duplicate the layer.
                      2. On the bottom layer apply the gradient layer mask.
                      3. On the top layer, apply the layer mask to hide all, then paint with white to bring the flowers back in.

Or, if you're careful, you could do it with just the one layer and mask.
                      Apply the layer mask with the gradient first, then carefully paint in the mask with white to fully reveal the flowers.

Both options will generate the example you provided.

--Racc
                      Last edited by Racc Iria; 08-05-2005, 10:05 AM.

Comment