Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combining (fading) one image into another: Can anyone tell me how...?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Combining (fading) one image into another: Can anyone tell me how...?

    Hello everyone,

    though I have been an artist for years I have never really used photo shop or what not. there is an image located in the french photofiltre website located
    http://photofiltre.free.fr/galerie/img006_en.htm and I want to be able to accomplish something similar using my own photos and created art and graphics. I just dont know where to look for the hows and why's
    I own mostly out dated versions

    ps 5.5
    psp 7.0
    elements 2.0
    photofiltre current version
    and a few others. maybe someone can get me started looking in the right direction


    Marcus

  • #2
    Try a Layer Mask

    On the bottom layer you would put a beach scene.

    Add a layer on top of that and to that layer add the portrait photo.

    To the portrait layer add a layer mask

    Select default colors black and white

    Use a gradient on the mask and have the gradient go from white where the portrait is to black over the right side of the photo.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: new, can anyone tell me how...?

      I used Photoshop 7 to create this.

      The following is a very quick example done to illustrate the technique used, not to be considered as a finished picture.
      • Open the 2 pictures you wish to use.
      • Copy and Paste one as a layer into the other picture.
      • Apply a layer mask to the upper layer (picture).
      • Click on mask to make it active, then use Gradient Tool to make a suitable mask.


      I used a radial gradient in this picture, but vary the gradient to get the effect you wish for.

      If anything is not clear, and you need further clarification, let me know.

      Looks like Phil beat me to the punch.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: new, can anyone tell me how...?

        Originally posted by wildthing
        Hello everyone,

        though I have been an artist for years I have never really used photo shop or what not. there is an image located in the french photofiltre website located
        http://photofiltre.free.fr/galerie/img006_en.htm and I want to be able to accomplish something similar using my own photos and created art and graphics. I just dont know where to look for the hows and why's
        I own mostly out dated versions

        ps 5.5
        psp 7.0
        elements 2.0
        photofiltre current version
        and a few others. maybe someone can get me started looking in the right direction


        Marcus
        http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/132813-post5.html
        This is the link to a post I made about that very thing.

        I used PhotoImact for mine and my steps were quite simple actually.

        I topped my first layer, the nature sunset, with the photo of my little girl and I and used the "soft light" mode, I think.

        I'll have a go with another just to fresh up my memory and will let you know.

        Maureen

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: new, can anyone tell me how...?

          ok,


          I am the consummate beginner. Though there are certain tasks that i can perform with my eyes closed on the software that i own. Basically , I do not understand 90% of their functionality.
          I own P.Impact as well, but have never used it. All of the ideas and examples are great , but I am seeking a sorta tutorial. Also, the images I am going to use are creations I have made for a previous gallery showing. And I am seeking a way to control the placement and the opacity. Simple you say!!1
          Hah...not for me. I am the only one I know that can stub their big toe on air!! I need something that I can save or print out and follow step by step. most of the software I own , the manuals are useless and am I wrong or do they presume that everyone in the world already knows how to use the products, as the manuals appear to be written for the graphic gods and goddess's of the world.

          Marcus




          Originally posted by maureeno
          http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/132813-post5.html
          This is the link to a post I made about that very thing.

          I used PhotoImact for mine and my steps were quite simple actually.

          I topped my first layer, the nature sunset, with the photo of my little girl and I and used the "soft light" mode, I think.

          I'll have a go with another just to fresh up my memory and will let you know.

          Maureen

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: new, can anyone tell me how...?

            am I wrong or do they presume that everyone in the world already knows how to use the products, as the manuals appear to be written for the graphic gods and goddess's of the world.
            hehe, you're not alone. i had a talk with my oldest brother on this once. he works at a software firm. they finally came up with the most beautiful way of writing up their docs and helps and tutorials; they hired someone who knew NOTHING about the software and even very little about computers to do ALL the doc writing. that person writes all of it. they are the simplest to understand docs you'll find.

            the tendency for a software coder is to know code, not writing tutorials. professionals tend to want to talk to professionals and use the hard-earned terminology they gained over the years. they tend to not want to have to 'talk down' to others. they also tend to forget that we dont know those terms and in some cases, dont even have access to finding out what the term means. the assumption, even in the 'for dummies' books, is that you already know certain things, certain terms. but, it's the terminology that will kill you when trying to learn.

            my brother's document writer person has to go to the coders and say, 'what the heck does this mean? she has to write about the thing, so she has to understand it and she has to communicate it to others that dont know. she KNOWS others are as ignorant on the subject as she is. that's her viewpoint... i dont know anything about it, ergo, others dont know anything about it. works perfectly

            craig

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: new, can anyone tell me how...?

              Originally posted by wildthing
              ok,


              I am the consummate beginner.
              I own P.Impact as well, but have never used it. All of the ideas and examples are great , but I am seeking a sorta tutorial. Also, the images I am going to use are creations I have made for a previous gallery showing. And I am seeking a way to control the placement and the opacity. Simple you say!!1
              Hah...not for me. I am the only one I know that can stub their big toe on air!! I need something that I can save or print out and follow step by step. most of the software I own , the manuals are useless and am I wrong or do they presume that everyone in the world already knows how to use the products, as the manuals appear to be written for the graphic gods and goddess's of the world.

              Marcus
              Marcus, Here's one I whipped up real quick in in PI XL.

              If this is what you had in mind, I'll jot down the steps that you can print off.

              I find it much easier to do this in PI so my instructions will be for that programme.

              Maureen
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: new, can anyone tell me how...?

                Originally posted by maureeno
                Marcus, Here's one I whipped up real quick in in PI XL.

                If this is what you had in mind, I'll jot down the steps that you can print off.

                I find it much easier to do this in PI so my instructions will be for that programme.

                Maureen

                Maureen, and group,

                I really appreciate you trying to assist me. I am trying to move out of doing everything by hand and canvas, and try mixed media. I was able to view the jpeg .
                there is a link to an image in my first post, As I looked at this I noticed the ghosted image, It reminded of memories not wanting to be forgotten, love and family and other things. the placement of theat image and the ability of the user to reize and reshape and ghost [opacity] and somevery good control of the blending?? I think! What I have are water colors of specific subjects that stand alone by themselves, but eventually were put together to form a finished product which i sold, on "...works for hire..." basis. not computer mamipulation. would it help if I put the images here as said what i wanted to do, such as "mmerge a to b etc.?

                marcus
                wildthing
                Junior Member
                Last edited by wildthing; 10-06-2006, 06:52 AM. Reason: correction

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Try a Layer Mask Instruction for Wild Thing

                  Originally posted by philbach
                  On the bottom layer you would put a beach scene.

                  Add a layer on top of that and to that layer add the portrait photo.

                  To the portrait layer add a layer mask

                  Select default colors black and white

                  Use a gradient on the mask and have the gradient go from white where the portrait is to black over the right side of the photo.
                  I apologize but I thought you had seen the text.
                  •You need to open two pictures.
                  The base (The Beach) picture that I posted you open first.
                  Then open the second picture which in my example is the portrait.

                  •Next you need to place the portrait in the beach photo on a new layer.
                  So select the move tool in photoshop.
                  Click on the portrait photo and drag it to the beach photo.
                  That will result in the beach picture having two layers. The beach on the background layer and the portrait on "layer 1."

                  •Next you need to add a Layer mask on the Portrait Layer (Layer1).
                  Ok now you select layer 1
                  Click on the make mask icon at the bottom of the layers palate and that should add a mask to layer 1, the portrait layer.
                  In the case I posted I had the picture in layer 1, the portrait picture on the left side of the layer.

                  •Next you need to add a black to white gradient to the layer mask on layer 1

                  Make sure layer mask is selected; the icon on layer 1 will be highlighted.
                  Hit Command (PC)or Control(Mac) + D to make the foreground and background colors in the tool box black and white
                  Select Gradient Tool. Use a foreground to background gradient (default).
                  Sweep across the picture from right to left. Which should make the mask go from black to white.
                  The white part of the mask allows layer 1 to show through. The black part of the mask blocks the visualization of layer 1.
                  You can paint on the mask with the brush tool as long as its selected.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Combining (fading) one image into another: Can anyone tell me how...?

                    Hi Marcus.

                    Welcome to Retouch Pro.

                    This may help.


                    http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/layermask/layermask.htm

                    Ken.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: new, can anyone tell me how...?

                      Originally posted by wildthing
                      Maureen, and group,

                      would it help if I put the images here as said what i wanted to do, such as "mmerge a to b etc.?

                      marcus
                      It would certainly help me if you did.

                      Maureen

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Combining (fading) one image into another: Can anyone tell me how...?

                        Hi, wildthing

                        Many years ago, I had PS 5.5, and I still have the Photoshop 5.5 WOW! book, comlete with cd-rom. If you want it, I'd be more than happy to send it to you. Just PM me with where to send it, and I'll get it out asap to you.

                        Comment

                        Related Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X