Applying Adjustment Layer to only one layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Adjustment Layer to only one layer

When I have multiple photos, all as layers on one background document, I should be able to select any one layer and be able to apply a Curves Adjustment Layer that will affect only the selected layer. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it affects ALL layers...which I don't understand at all. It must be something simple, can someone clue me in?

thanks!

Ed

Re: Applying Adjustment Layer to only one layer

I think that when you create the adjustment layer, if you will check the "use previous layer to create clipping mask" it will do what you want. If the layer is already created you can alt-click on the line separating the adjustment layer and the layer you wish to adjust (only) and it will link the two without affecting others. Try this and see. Both work in CS2 but I'm not sure how many previous versions work the same.

rps

Comment

Yes, I just tried it and it worked! Many thanks, Ed

Comment

or if you already have an adjustment layer do alt+apple (control) + G and it clicks to the layer below the adjustment layer. Saved my life.

Comment

Hi Dick,

You have that exactly correct. That is how you create a clipping mask in photoshop. With a clipping mask, the adjustment layer will only affect the layer its being clipped to. This will work in any verison.

Comment

Working...
          X