Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light streaks in composite

Hi

I am working on a composite of an athlete against a grungy background. The athlete is lit with two hard light sources from behind and a fill light from the front.

I want to composite him into a background which has two light sources above him to the left and right (see attachment).

After compositing him I tried to tie the background and the athlete together by creating light streaks from the lights on the background in the direction of the athlete (empty layer in between athlete and background: paint light streaks with white soft brush, blur, add noise and reduce opacity). I am not all that happy with the result. Any other ideas on how to tie the composite together?

I attach a version without the light streaks as well.

Thanks

Peter
    Attached Files

Re: Light streaks in composite

I think you're on the right track. The main thing that makes it feel weird to me is that those fixtures wouldn't cast light in that way.

You're getting the depth and separation you want by reducing contrast in the background. Just try making the falloff from the lights smoother and less directional. Maybe a half stop darker, too.

Comment

Tim is right, don't make the lights directional, this kind of lightbulbs expels light everywhere.
      1. create a curves layer ( lighter)
      2. Maks everywhere
      3. I will include an extra fill layer in soft light mode and find a colour tone to marriage both images together.

See attachment screenshot.
      Last edited by Diego81; 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks, great advice!

Comment

theres some nice light beam tuts on youtube

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• petersweden
            Simulate stadium lights in composite
            by petersweden
            Hi

I want to composite a photo of a soccer player on top of a background layer with stadium lights. I want to simulate the stadium lights casting the light on the player.

Right now I have tried to simulate the light by adding a layer between the player and the background where...
            06-22-2011, 12:51 PM
          • petersweden
            Draft composite - what needs to be fixed?
            by petersweden
            Hi

I have started on a composite. What are the main things that need to be fixed?

Regards

Peter...
            09-14-2016, 06:29 AM
          • petersweden
            Composite
            by petersweden
            Hi

I am trying to pull of a composite of an athlete and lightning. I want to give the impression that the athlete is lit by the lightning. I am having trouble making this look good.

I have added some low opacity light streaks from the lightning in the direction of the...
            01-13-2012, 07:44 AM
          • djslyda
            what is wrong with this composite?
            by djslyda
            i have tried a few composites over the last couple of years and i really struggle to make the end result look like one photo, i try to look at things like light sources, temperatures, contrast of each image but i'm never happy with the result, like this one, i think the cafe is a good background to...
            07-06-2010, 05:51 PM
          • mcdronkz
            Simulating candle light
            by mcdronkz
            This shot was lit with a single strobe, but I figured it would be nicer to make it look like it was lit with a candle light.

However, it seems a bit harder than I imagined it to be. The shadows on the faces of the parents are not that hard to figure out, but the rest is...
            12-01-2011, 07:21 AM
          Working...
          X