Help with creating shadow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with creating shadow

I am making a composite night time street image in which I am trying to place this couple. The light source is coming from behind and to the left of the couple. Approx in the top left corner of the image I have attached. I have tried using a drop shadow and transforming it and also tried making a shadow from the couple and transforming it. Because the mans feet are at an angle the shadow just does not work. Any advice on how to get a realistic shadow?
    Colin
    Attached Files

Re: Help with creating shadow

26 views and nobody knows how to help me. I was certain that somebody would know how to solve this problem :-(

Comment

Views don't equal possible help!

Comment

Without knowing the strength of the light source it is impossible to guage the shadow. Surely the lighting on the couple needs sorting out aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by Repairman View Post
          Without knowing the strength of the light source it is impossible to guage the shadow. Surely the lighting on the couple needs sorting out aswell?
          You are absolutely right, the lighting on the couple needs to be sorted as well.
          Perhaps I have not explained myself very well. The problem I have is actually creating a shadow that actually attaches correctly to the feet of the models and does not severely distort the rest of the shadow. I do not think the strength of the light source will have any effect on that particular problem. I would have thought that the only thing the strength of the shadow would effect is the density and drop-off of the shadow or am I missing something?

Colin

Comment

Context is everything Colin and it's difficult without a few more visual clues. However i see the tilted shoes as a bonus because you can keep a sliver/wedge of light underneath which will animate the pose. I reckon if you get lighting sorted for the torsos, the shadows will suggest themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by CKAJCA View Post
              The problem I have is actually creating a shadow that actually attaches correctly to the feet of the models and does not severely distort the rest of the shadow.
              You can't just take an overall selection of them, fill with black, skew/transform it and expect it to line up with each of their feet simultaneously. You have to do it one leg at a time. Then also paint in grounding shadows at each foot's point of contact. Then fade and/or blur the shadow the further it gets from them, depending on the strength and character of your light source.

Break it down into manageable components, each leg on it's own layer, then all grounding shadows can be painted onto one blank layer above them, and then perhaps all shadow layers into one group to be masked/faded as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashtones View Post
                You can't just take an overall selection of them, fill with black, skew/transform it and expect it to line up with each of their feet simultaneously. You have to do it one leg at a time. Then also paint in grounding shadows at each foot's point of contact. Then fade and/or blur the shadow the further it gets from them, depending on the strength and character of your light source.

Break it down into manageable components, each leg on it's own layer, then all grounding shadows can be painted onto one blank layer above them, and then perhaps all shadow layers into one group to be masked/faded as a whole.
                Thank you for that very helpful advice, much appreciated. I will try doing it that way

Comment

Sure. Let us know how it goes. Remember also to put your shadow layers in Multiply blend mode so that they blend into your bg.

Comment

Make a curve, pull it down to darken, and then just draw in a shadow.
                    Most shadows are quite simple when you look at them....

Comment

Originally posted by DJSoulglo View Post
                      Make a curve, pull it down to darken, and then just draw in a shadow.
                      Most shadows are quite simple when you look at them....
                      Perhaps I am trying to be too much of a perfectionist. I will give it a go and see how I get on! Thanks

Comment

Usually, i'm transform shadow with free transform (ctrl+t) and after that i'm using warp transformation for docking end of foot and begin of shadow))
                        http://s43.radikal.ru/i101/1312/c3/cded26d97c44.jpg

Comment

As mentioned above, make a dupe of the people, fill it with black, flip it, skew and rotate to angle of light, then use puppet warp to move feet into position. Use lens blur or some other blur method to blur the shadow further from the couple, and add layer mask to also fade the intensity.

Comment

I'm new here... I do not know if this can help, I created the shadow with a 3d program, maybe you can try (or maybe is useless)

is png with alpha
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by flowbox; 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Flowbox, I've done that too, but using Photoshop's 3D features. In the attached image, I made a postcard layer of the illustration of the girl and put it in with the balls, which were actual 3D objects.
                              Attached Files

Comment